The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 31, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1
RH

CCW is an obligation to carry

with all of the anti- sentiment rising up around us, I feel that every gun owner should join he NRA (not perfect, but he most effective lobbying org we have) and wherever possible, obtain a CCW permit. Once said permit is obtained, carry whenever legal and possible. Use it or lose it. While you have he right, use it to the maximum and make our numbers known.
Old December 31, 2012, 04:26 PM   #2
rickyrick

But nobody knows if I'm carrying
Old December 31, 2012, 04:31 PM   #3
RH

Indeed. But as carry gets normalized and works as a preventative to crimes, hopefully change the narrative in the media.

In my home state of FL, there's over a million CCW's. How many actually carry wherever and whenever they can?
Old December 31, 2012, 04:39 PM   #4
rickyrick

Good question, in Texas it's estimated 1.5-2% of the population is carrying.

So about two or three permit holders are present in a packed movie. Maybe one in a packed Walmart. So I guess that's usually me.
Old December 31, 2012, 05:13 PM   #5
BUFF

I have my CCL in Kansas. I carry when I can, but a lot of businesses are posted. Therefore illegal if you carry inside.

I don't feel obligated to carry just becase I can.

But I do carry because it's a dangerous world we live in and I want to protect my loved ones if the need arises.
Old December 31, 2012, 08:29 PM   #6
tulsamal

Quote:
But nobody knows if I'm carrying
One of the arguments for open carry. Getting people used to the idea that the most law abiding and least criminal members of their society are walking around carrying guns every day.

Gregg
Old December 31, 2012, 08:48 PM   #7
BUFF

There's open carry in Wicita also. I have yet to see anyone walking around with a pistol on their hip.
Old December 31, 2012, 08:52 PM   #8
BGutzman

Take the antis and the people on the fence to the range, teach them safety and ensure their actions are safe. Let them shoot and inform them of our position and it will go a long way to help us!
Old December 31, 2012, 09:00 PM   #9
rickyrick

You can carry long arms openly in public in Texas but it rarely happens. You most likely will get a free background check by your local officer
Old December 31, 2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Crankgrinder

the only way for it to work that i see is that every incident from now on is stopped by a ccw holder without fail. We all know those that are are not represented in the news so if they all are then none will make the news.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:06 PM   #11
JerryM

I do not consider a CHL an obligation to carry.
As for training the general public and the antis OC is not the way.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13 *┬ÂLet us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 *For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old December 31, 2012, 11:12 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
No, it is not.

Quote:
Use it or lose it.
That isn't how the process works. So long as you keep your permit up to date, then there is nothing to lose. You don't have to actually carry for the permit to remain valid.

Quote:
Good question, in Texas it's estimated 1.5-2% of the population is carrying.

So about two or three permit holders are present in a packed movie. Maybe one in a packed Walmart. So I guess that's usually me.
Actually, you are way overestimating. Only about 2% have their permits. Of those 2%, as much as 80% do not carry on their person with any regularity.
Old December 31, 2012, 11:31 PM   #13
ohiomossyoak

I would love the ability to CCW in ohio..Sadly Ohio law only allows me to own and open carry firearms....Minor Misdemeanor(equal to a traffic ticket) possession of Pot(ever) bans you from getting a CCW in Ohio... At one time it even banned you from OWNING! ...

I dont feel open carry is the wisest option in most cases..My wife is learning more about firearms an CCW an plans to pursue her CCW permit in the future....
Old January 1, 2013, 12:26 AM   #14
rickyrick

DNS,

I could agree with your assessment, due to the fact that carrying can be burdensome, many don't wanna be bothered with it. Many more believe that they can still get into some kind of trouble. My wife is licensed too, but never carries.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:29 AM   #15
patrickmn

There is no way for the government to count how many people with licenses actually use them or how often they use them. They only know how many people have them. As more people get permits, all permit holders will have a bigger voice.

EDIT: That's just my opinion.
Old January 1, 2013, 01:23 AM   #16
BarryLee

Quote:
There is no way for the government to count how many people with licenses actually use them or how often they use them. They only know how many people have them. As more people get permits, all permit holders will have a bigger voice.
I agree. Even if folks have no intention of carrying if practical why not get a permit/license?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 1, 2013, 05:45 AM   #17
mete

There is a state that gives you an instruction sheet with the CCW. One of the instructions is to 'carry only when you will need it ' !!
Old January 1, 2013, 05:55 AM   #18
KMAX

I personally feel obligated to carry because the State of Texas says I can. I don't know how I would live with myself if I thought I could have saved a life if I had a gun, but didn't because I didn't feel like carrying. I have never had to use my gun for such and hope I never have to, but want to be somewhat prepared if the event arises. This is only my personal feeling and I am not saying others should necessarily feel this way. Each person should make their own decision about it.

My feeling is based on a death that I might have prevented had I made the other choice thirty years ago.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old January 1, 2013, 08:02 AM   #19
Bud Helms
Staff

It would go a long way if more people would get their CCW, whether they actually carried or even owned a firearm. License-holder numbers are easily verified in the public domain without publishing names and addresses.

Carrying is a heavy responsibility. Licensing and keeping it current gives you that option, but even if you don't actually carry concealed, running the stats of CCW holders up makes a statement at the national level for your state of residence.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:07 AM   #20
treg

We all have a responsibility for protecting ourselves and our families. A CCW permit simply makes carrying a pistol a more viable option in carrying out that responsibility. I don't necessarily agree with the permit or the processes involved but it does help one avoid prosecution if they do choose to carry as a means of protection.

Yes, stacking the numbers may help the cause as it is. However, it also says that we believe it's cool as law abiding citizens to beg permission from the .gov to excercise our God given rights.

And yes, joining the NRA is the most effective means of maintaining our current level of "rights".

.44 Special: For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:17 AM   #21
rickyrick

Many years ago, at the luby's massacre in Killeen, a woman's parents were some of the victims killed. She had a gun in the car but not allowed to carry in the restaurant. She later became a legislator and helped with Texas concealed carry.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:53 AM   #22
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Dr. S. Gratia-Hupp. Google her testimony before Congress.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old January 1, 2013, 11:26 AM   #23
rickyrick

I pulled this quote from Wikipedia

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanna_Hupp

Quote:
Hupp and her parents were having lunch at the Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen in 1991 when the Luby's massacre commenced. The gunman shot 50 people and killed 23, including Hupp's parents. Hupp later expressed regret about deciding to remove her gun from her purse and lock it in her car lest she risk possibly running afoul of the state's concealed weapons laws; during the shootings, she reached for her weapon but then remembered that it was "a hundred feet away in my car."[4] Her father, Al Gratia, tried to rush the gunman and was shot in the chest. As the gunman reloaded, Hupp escaped through a broken window and believed that her mother, Ursula Gratia, was behind her. Actually however, her mother went to her mortally-wounded husband's aid and was then shot in the head.

As a survivor of the Luby's massacre, Hupp testified across the country in support of concealed-handgun laws. She said that if there had been a second chance to prevent the slaughter, she would have violated the Texas law and carried the handgun inside her purse into the restaurant.[5] She testified across the country in support of concealed handgun laws, and was elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 1996.[6] The law was signed by then-Governor George W. Bush.[7]
Old January 1, 2013, 11:29 AM   #24
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Actually, you are way overestimating. Only about 2% have their permits. Of those 2%, as much as 80% do not carry on their person with any regularity.
The law may have changed since I last researched it, but in Texas, there was this weird "traveling" provision. In that you couldn't have a gun in the passenger compartment of your car unless you were "traveling". Not just running errands, or going to the hardware store, actually "traveling". Some folks got CCW permits to get around the "traveling" language in the law.

Aaah, I see that Texas has passed something called the Motorist Protection Act, so that "traveling" provision may have gone away.

In very gun-friendly Louisiana, we have slightly more than 40,000 CCW permits issued, which is a small number, barely over 1% of our population. However, lots of folks take the course, then decide that the hassle of obtaining the license is simply not worth the effort. My wife, for example, took the course and was glad she did, but she only wants to carry a revolver in the car and doesn't think that it's worth it to go ahead and get the license, because carrying a handgun in the passenger compartment of a car is perfectly legal in this state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
No, I am not obligated to carry, although I carry something every day.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 1, 2013, 12:11 PM   #25
rickyrick

Yes pawpaw, the laws have changed in Texas. As long as you can legally posses a handgun, you can keep it in your car. The laws were clarified to make your car an extension of your private property. No one can restrict a firearm in your car not even your boss. They've also accepted castle doctrine and many other improvements to ccw.

The old traveling law was abused by police and many people were cited and arrested due to the vagueness of the word "traveling"