The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 1, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1
XDS45IWB

WTB Hawthorne Viking 12ga pump barrel

I have an old Montgomery Wards 12ga pump (Hawthorne Viking). It's in great shape, light and easy handling, and shoots well. It's not worth anything $$ wise, so I'm thinking of tinkering with it to make it a home defense gun. Problems is it's a fixed full choke. I'd like to find a short (18") cylinder bore barrel, and retain the original barrel as is.

Anyone have any idea where I could find another barrel for this?
It cross references with:
Manufrance-LaSalle, Colt Custom, Hawthorne, Viking, Stoeger #7, H&R 440,Marlin Premier, Kodiak #458. Firearms International Etc
Old January 1, 2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

Go to e-gunparts.com and check out the H&R 440 and see if what you have matches. My cross-reference is kinda thin on the make you mentioned. If yours matches they show a few spare barrels in stock. Goat
Old January 1, 2013, 07:15 PM   #3
RJay

I'm not sure why you think it cross references to so many different manufactures. For example I believe the only Hawthorne Colt furnished to Wards was the Colteer ( .22 ), no pump shotguns, could be wrong. I believe your shotgun is an import made by Manufrance ( your La Salle ) If may have been imported by others but that is no identification. The new H&R 440 is imported from China ( or was ) and I believe the old 440;s were US made. If Manufrance, then you very well have a hard time finding a original barrel for your shotgun. Manufrance has been gone for quite a while. Good luck with your quest.

Last edited by RJay; January 1, 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:16 PM   #4
XDS45IWB

Goat - thanks a bunch for that suggestion. I got exhausted looking and that may just be my ticket

RJay - the only reason I beleive it is a x-ref is I found a link and pdf of parts pic/list and it looks like a possible match:
http://www.gun-parts.com/manufrance/
Old January 3, 2013, 05:28 PM   #5
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDS45IWB

I have an old Montgomery Wards 12ga pump (Hawthorne Viking). It's in great shape, light and easy handling, and shoots well. It's not worth anything $$ wise, so I'm thinking of tinkering with it to make it a home defense gun. Problems is it's a fixed full choke. I'd like to find a short (18") cylinder bore barrel, and retain the original barrel as is.
I'd just cut to the chase, and shorten the existing barrel to 18-1/2", thereby removing the full choke and creating the HD gun.