The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 30, 2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Tucker 1371

Colt 1911 Rail Gun range report

So there isn't going to be much to this first post as I was unable to obtain any proper targets for my first backyard range trip with this gun and had to use cans and a steel gong, but there will be more to follow.

I bought my girlfriend a Charter Pink Lady .38 Spl for Christmas and the day after we took a little trip to familiarize her with her gun which also gave me a chance to break in my Colt.

First impressions are Wow! It is, albeit by a slim margin, the most accurate 1911 I have fired out of Kimbers (Eclipse and Raptor), other Colts, Taurus, and Rock Island. Usig slow, well aimed, deliberate firing I was able to achieve 99% accuracy on Monster Cans at 15yds. When unholstering and firing rapidly on the fly at 10 yds I was able to maintain about 75-80% accuracy on said cans (I don't claim to be an expert ).

As far as reliability is concerned it was a freight train, there was no stopping it. I was using two CMC mags and one Colt factory mag. First eight rounds were Remington 230gr Golden Saber. The next 50 were PMC bronze 230gr FMJ. Had 25rds of 185gr Z-max that I bought for S's and G's and had no particular use for, also fed fine. Then, in an effort to make it jam, I fed it 16 rounds of really busted looking PMC that had been rolling around in my truck for a year, and 16 rounds of Herters Steel case that's had been doing the same, both 230gr FMJ. 115 rounds of assorted flavors, some very nasty flavors, and zero stoppages.

The pile on the left is .38

I have never felt this good initially about a handgun purchase. I plan to add to this later when I get a chance to head to my local indoor range and punch some holes in paper instead of aluminum lol.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old December 30, 2012, 01:37 PM   #2
BullseyePrecision

That is one awesome firearm I've been looking for a colt rail gun around my local shops with zero luck so far.
Old December 30, 2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

Nice! Glad you took it out and the results are just as I expected! Congrats brother, awesome gun. Really happy for you.

It even looks really unique as opposed to the other 1911's I've always seen.
Old December 30, 2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Tucker 1371

Thanks y'all, once again sorry for the lack of targets and pictures, just kind of an unplanned "hey let's go shoot cans in the backyard" thing. I've got some Ergo XT grips on the way and I'll post pics when those come in as well. Hate to take off those purdy silverwood grips but they're a little thick for my midget hands.
Old December 30, 2012, 06:39 PM   #5
thinktwice

Glad you like it. I know what you mean. I was lucky enough to find one a while back, but it's the all black one. I do own Kimbers, Springfield's, and 2 older 70 series Colts. But I have to say I think this rail gun is more accurate than any of my other 1911's. Like you said no stopping it, it fired everything I put through it, including some of my sub par hand loads. However one thing I am concerned with is mine doesn't have the Colt "Pony" on it anywhere, unless the black coating has covered it up. All the others I have seen do have the logo. Can anyone help me with that one?
Old January 1, 2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Tucker 1371

Quote:
Can anyone help me with that one?
No impact no idea thinktwice, mines got it on the rear left portion of the slide right behind the serrations. Glad to hear your experiences were similar to mine though. How was the break in period, if any, for you?
Old January 2, 2013, 02:12 AM   #7
thinktwice

Break in was 100% right out of the box. Not one problem or malfunction. The trigger was also nice and smooth from day one, and it gets smoother the more you shoot it.