The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 23, 2012, 12:43 AM   #1
mj246

Media's "definition" of "Assault Rifle" = any semiautomatic rifle?

The local Newspaper had an article today about a kid who got arrested for a gross misdemeanor of bringing a weapon to school property by leaving an SKS in his car in the parking lot.

What I don't understand is that the article called it an SKS Assault weapon or something to that affect. Since when was a semi-auto rifle with a fixed 10 round magazine and a full length wood stock that weighs over 8 pounds an "Assault Weapon." And this is from a supposedly conservative newspaper that backed nearly all republican candidates in the election.

Maybe this isn't anything new, but I was kind of appalled to learn that my new to me stock Yugo SKS might be considered an Assault Rifle. Not that I have an issue with the types of rifles that are generally called such, but it seems ridiculous to consider such a classic and normal design of the final days of WWII with none of the aspects usually associated with "evil, black, assault rifles" other than being semi-auto as a so-called "assault weapon."

Gets on my nerves, and I also don't relish the idea of some politician trying to ban or confiscate my newest acquisition in the near future
Old December 23, 2012, 01:02 AM   #2
okiewita40

I know it is crazy. But you just can't fix stupid.
Old December 23, 2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Bushmaster1313

Semi-auto scary looking weapon = Assault Rifle
Old December 23, 2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Chaz88

Guess I better not buy that unsingle, raised rib, adjustable stock, and comb trap gun. Those things really are scary looking!

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 23, 2012, 02:07 AM   #5
Auto426

Most of the time you hear "Assault Weapon", not assault rifle. Assault rifle has a very specific definition, and they are illegal to own unless you have the proper paperwork and one that's transferable. "Assault weapon" is a buzz word the media and politicians use to describe any type of weapon that they believe should only be available to their personal security, and not normal civilians.
Old December 23, 2012, 03:14 AM   #6
Dr Big Bird PhD

Next thing we'll see is a remington 700 with with a tactical stock called a "sniper rifle"

oh wait...
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 23, 2012, 08:00 AM   #7
Zekest Crowe

Semi Auto Rifle includes the Ruger 10/22.
Old December 23, 2012, 08:59 AM   #8
cecILL

That's it. Once they figure out all the semis operate the same way, they'll want them too.
Old December 23, 2012, 01:50 PM   #9
mj246

That's exactly why I'm concerned. Next thing we'll hear is that my marlin 60 with 14 rounds of 22lr in a tube magazine is an "assault weapon" too!
Old December 23, 2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Crazy88Fingers

Quote:
That's exactly why I'm concerned. Next thing we'll hear is that my marlin 60 with 14 rounds of 22lr in a tube magazine is an "assault weapon" too!
Fun fact: my Marlin 60 with 17 rounds in the tube is an assault rifle in New Jersey!
Old December 23, 2012, 03:12 PM   #11
CTS

Well, if you want to get technical (or is it stupid) about it, if I assaulted you with a rock, then that would be an assault rock.

Assault:
a sudden, violent attack; onslaught: an assault on tradition.
Law. an unlawful physical attack upon another; an attempt or offer to do violence to another, with or without battery, as by holding a stone or club in a threatening manner.
Military . the stage of close combat in an attack.
rape1 .
Old December 23, 2012, 03:59 PM   #12
rickyrick

So, if I took an AR, blocked the gas system permanently, essentially making it a straight pull bolt action, would it be an "assault weapon"??
Old December 23, 2012, 04:44 PM   #13
mj246

They might call that one an "Assualt-STYLE weapon" and I'm sure given enough practice and just the right stock to fire basically one handed, some people would be able to shoot one a lot faster than many would deem possible beforehand.

I'm beginning to think that to them ALL guns are "assault weapons." and remember that this story wasn't from an ultra-liberal newspaper, but one that is often criticized for being somewhat conservative.
Old December 23, 2012, 05:32 PM   #14
CTS

The thing that gets me is, as you can see in the definition above. Just holding a stick or rock in a threatening manner is considered an assault. If I actually hit you with that stick or rock that would be considered battery. That is why you hear the term assault and battery. So how does that apply to the appearance of a rifle? By liberal terms, if it has a threatening appearance, it is deemed an assault rifle. It makes no difference if you installed a ramp and blocked off the mag well and capped the gas port so that you had to load it one round at a time. It still looks menacing so it would still be an assault rifle. You know, it has a pistol grip and a flash suppressor. Evil stuff.
Old December 23, 2012, 06:04 PM   #15
Yankee Traveler

Quote:
That's it. Once they figure out all the semis operate the same way, they'll want them too.
cecILL, you are 100% correct. That is why the media has been refering to Semi Automatic Weapons lately and not rifles or Assault Weapons or even Automatic Weapons. They want them all.
Old December 23, 2012, 06:36 PM   #16
nate45

Danger: Slippery Slopes Really Are Slippery

Don't anyone abandon ship, or talk of giving any ground. Gun show loopholes and ARs had nothing to do with the recent tragedy.

I heard someone suggest that the weapons and ammo capacity they carried in WWII were sufficient, can't remember where I read it, but it was some elected official. Another person on TV today spoke of the idea of going back a generation in technology.

These suggestions are not useful, for a myriad of reasons, but lets just imagine we acquiesced and gave up magazine capacity of over 10 rounds.

Below is my .308 M1 Garand and a 1911a1. The ammo can reads that it once contained 200 rounds of 7.62, well in 8 round enbloc clips, it holds exactly 240 rounds of .308. I realize the only Garand many people have ever fired was while playing call of duty. Trust me you can fire those eight rounds lightning quick IRL too. If one practices, inserting a fresh clip can happen in 2 seconds easy.

Now then, imagine another little loon shoots up something, because mommy didn't buy him a new iPad, or whatever. Only he uses Grandpa's SKS, Garand, 1911, whatever. Now we need to get rid of the baby killing relics of WWII, that only psycho killers want to own. Believe me if you never beilieved anyone on the net before, the people behind this latest anti-gun charge want ALL the guns. When skeet guns and .22s are all thats left and a loon misuses one, they'll call for them to be banned too.

AR15s and 30 round magazines aren't the problem, semi-auto pistols with high cap magazines aren't the problem. We've gone over it a thousand times. Nearly all TFL members would give up all their guns if a child would never, ever, get hurt again. Thats fantasy land though, lets don't let the blame the gun crowds fantasy, strip us of any of our weapons we have now.

Sorry for the bad pic, my only camera right now is cell phone.
Old December 24, 2012, 07:00 AM   #17
Mr.Scott

How about we ban guns once we ban the media.
Old December 24, 2012, 07:15 AM   #18
droptrd

Id write a letter complaining to the editor. It probably wont help anything but they should be held accountable. Do it. Chew em out
Old December 24, 2012, 08:40 AM   #19
BlueTrain

Who is that gets to define these things anyway? Personally, I don't believe there can be a practical definition of an assault rifle apart from a legal definition and of course, a legal definition is whatever it says it is. Typically, however, when certain guns are restricted, they actually list them. But think of such things in the past.

There has only been one rifle called an assault rifle, which in itself was renamed from machine pistol, which we would have termed sub-machine gun. For that matter the British would have said machine carbine but they don't use that term anymore (and they call water bottles "canteens"). Anyhow, the Stg44 weighed over 10 pounds. So an assault rifle need not be lightweight. It also had no plastic parts either, for that matter, a characteristic important to some. There was another German rifle of the same period that was quite similiar but even cruder, which used the same cartridge, the Volksturm Gewehr. Go figure out how that translates, which would roughly come out as "People's assault rifle." Semi-auto only, no pistol grip. So it was actually named an assault rifle but doesn't fit any such definition gun lovers like to quote, other than the intermediate cartridge. Neither of those guns took bayonets, either.

Yet another German rifle produced in some numbers was chambered for the regular 7.92mm (8mm Mauser) cartridge but it was select-fire. It had a pistol grip and did have a bayonet, if that's significant. Like the others, it had a detachable box magazine. Was it an assault rifle? It wasn't so in name, at least, being called officially the "Fallschirmjager Gewehr 42" or paratrooper's rifle (model) 42, roughly translated. It also weighed over ten pounds. Wouldn't you love to have one?

So, you're probably wondering about the US Carbine caliber 30 M1. Well, let's see. Intermediate cartridge by some definitions, detachable high capacity box magazine. No pistol grip (whew!) but it was lightweight, even lighter than an AR-15 but there was an M2 that was select fire--and took a bayonet. But if it had no pistol grip, then what does that make it?
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 24, 2012, 09:26 AM   #20
nate45

Quote:
But if it had no pistol grip, then what does that make it?
AK-47 baby killing machine.
Old December 24, 2012, 04:34 PM   #21
mj246

Well I suppose i was a bit hasty in saying that the rifle has none of the usual features of so-called "assault weapons" since it does have an integral bayonet and as a Yugo that grenade launcher at the end. However, the grenade launcher is useless without grenades (which are highly regulated if available at all). So yes, it has a scary looking bayonet on the end that is about as useful as carrying an African shortspear. Deadly in the right and trained hands, but awkward to wield and poor balance for most.

I just didn't really expect a surplus rifle from the mid-to-late 40s to be lumped in with those "scary, modern, might as well be full auto, plastic wonder rifles with supercharged ammunition, known as the AR15 and AK47"
Old December 25, 2012, 05:04 PM   #22
Smit

The biggest problem with media/hype, etc.. is that the details are left out and/or lack of knowledge. Many times the reporter is ill-informed, and even worse they often make up a definition they think is correct. Example:

"AR" stands for "Assault Rifle" right?
Old December 25, 2012, 11:13 PM   #23
Auto426

Quote:
I heard someone suggest that the weapons and ammo capacity they carried in WWII were sufficient, can't remember where I read it, but it was some elected official. Another person on TV today spoke of the idea of going back a generation in technology.
I remember reading that article as week. If I recal correctly it was a retired senator who was also a WWII veteran that hit the beaches in Normandy. He claims to be pro gun, but believes that the normal populace shouldn't be able to carry more rounds than he did back during WWII.

In essence, he's basically saying he's in favor of 10 round mag capacity limits. I guess he's overlooking the fact that he wasn't alone in the landing vessel that day, and that entire squad of infantry backing him up had a lot more firepower than any lone gunman who wants to shoot up a public place.
Old December 25, 2012, 11:35 PM   #24
Dr Big Bird PhD

the points are irrelevant. He's using an appeal to emotion and an appeal to authority to substantiate a claim. His ability to use logic is therefore not worthy of carrying out legislation.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 26, 2012, 12:22 AM   #25
spacecoast

Quote:
How about we ban guns once we ban the media.
Having an unbiased media able to do investigative reporting independently from any sort of government or political influence is critical to the survival of a free society, which all by itself should give us lots of worry.