The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 2, 2013, 03:03 PM   #1
pnac

Toy Guns Seized By ATF

BATFE seizes toy guns? Yep,,, this video has to be seen to be believed! Just when you think you've heard all the stupid, ATF comes through with another zinger! Must be time for a budget increase. Of course, it may be the answer to the folks that want a full auto ,,,

"Can be easily converted to full auto." LOL

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f5_1356993903
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old January 2, 2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Alabama Shooter

I believe this happened several years ago.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

This story is almost two years old, and someone is presenting it as new to dredge up paranoia.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:01 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I don't know if that's one of the models, or not, but there were a couple AirSoft ARs capable of accepting AR upper receivers, a few years ago. With minor modifications to the lower, it became a fully-functioning (if short lived) firearm.
The ATF pushed to have their import banned, but the companies changed the design.

There are also two AirSoft pistols modeled after Glocks, that the ATF claims are "easily converted" to live firearms.
All you have to do is:
Install a fire control group
Install slide rails
Modify the mag well
Buy and install a slide, a barrel, and the recoil springs and guide rod
And reinforce the frame

So... basically, they're a plastic grip frame that you have to build a firearm around. THAT, to the ATF is "easily converted".

Several have been 'converted' by hobbyists, and they have an extremely short life span. -I think the most I've seen is 40 rounds, through one which was reinforced and built with well-engineered slide rails -- at the opposite end of the spectrum, one broke in half on the first test firing.
(I believe there are three on-going "Glock from Airsoft" builds going on here: Home Gunsmith.)
Old January 2, 2013, 04:02 PM   #5
pnac

You're right, Alabama Shooter, a case of someone recycling news articles I guess. Original article is dated 2/26/2010. Good catch!

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/ne...eRrqgIQaA.cspx
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Closed Thread