The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 19, 2012, 05:08 PM   #1
rcase1234

Remington being sold?

I heard Cerebus is putting the firearms companies they own (such as Remington) up for sale. Is this true? Hopefully the Chinese don't get a hold of the company
Old December 19, 2012, 05:10 PM   #2
silvrjeepr

It's true according to USA today or yahoo news. I forget which article I read. Shameful and sickening but true.
Old December 19, 2012, 06:32 PM   #3
rcase1234

Just read it on USA today.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:06 PM   #4
TxGun

From the #1 liberal rag, er...I mean The NY Times:

In Unusual Move, Cerberus to Sell Gun Company

By PETER LATTMAN

Sitting in their offices high above Park Avenue late on Monday, the private equity executives who own the country’s largest gun company received a phone call from one of their most influential investors.

An official at the California teachers’ pension fund, which has $750 million invested with the private equity firm, Cerberus Capital Management, was on the line, raising questions about the firm’s ownership of the Freedom Group, the gun maker that made the rifle used in the Connecticut school shootings.

Hours later, at 1 a.m. on Tuesday, Cerberus said that it was putting the Freedom Group up for sale.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:56 PM   #5
PetahW

FWIW, Freedom Group:

ADVANCED ARMAMENT
BARNES BULLETS
BUSHMASTER
DAKOTA ARMS
DPMS / Panther Arms
H&R 1871
MARLIN FIREARMS
MOUNTAIN KHAKIS
PARA USA
PARKER GUNMAKERS
REMINGTON
REMINGTON LE
REMINGTON MILITARY
REMINGTON PMPD
TAPCO

Old December 20, 2012, 12:11 AM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Look at how many of those companies are now producing junk.

I actually wouldn't mind if Norinco bought one of those and figured a way to get us all their guns. Norinco makes a lot of medium quality firearms at low prices that simply can't be imported.
Old December 20, 2012, 09:22 AM   #7
jmortimer

Actually, based on the Remington/Marlin/H&R pardner Pump, the ChiComs makes a good shotgun. I would expect quality to to go up as long as production stayed here.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:57 AM   #8
rcase1234

I hope production stays here and a good group of people but it. That would be nice but probably unrealistic
Old December 20, 2012, 11:31 AM   #9
jag2

Trying to look on the bright side, demand should be low so maybe the companies will be sold at a low enough price that an individual investor that really cares about the company may be able to afford it. Also possible, an employee buyout. Remember, the reason the companies were bought in the first place was because they were profitable. New owners frequently come in and try to make them more profitable by looking at the bottom line instead of what is going out the back door.
Old December 20, 2012, 11:46 AM   #10
CharlieDeltaJuliet

What is crazy, s Remington just received a contract to profuse (I believe) 25,000aprox. M4's for the military. I had heard about this "sell off" also. While I own a few newer Remington and Bushmaster firearms,and love them, I hope the owning and managing company that buys them, has a better reputation than Cerberus.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 20, 2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Noreaster

New Remington shotguns are hit or miss with quality, maybe more on the miss end of the spectrum. My chicom Pardner Pump works great, very smooth.
Old December 24, 2012, 12:48 PM   #12
johnbt

"has a better reputation than Cerberus"

You didn't like the job they did running Chrysler?
Old December 24, 2012, 01:09 PM   #13
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Better reputation toward firearms. Too many people are unhappy with the QC of the Freedom Groups firearms. Sorry, needed to clarify.

Nope, I never cared for Chrysler before, much less with Cerberus behind them.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 24, 2012, 01:44 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

When Cerberus bought Remington, a lot of gun folks hailed the move, saying it would keep the old-line gun company going. A lone voice (me) noted that if a capital equity firm bought up gun companies, they could eliminate a large segment of the gun market by a simple corporate decision. No law, no Second Amendment concerns, no big White House push, no Congressional hearings, just a private decision to close down the gun companies.

Will a buyer be found? If not, will Cerberus do just that? We shall see. But it is not a good idea from our veiepoint, to have so many gun companies under the same corporate umbrella.

Jim
Old December 24, 2012, 01:59 PM   #15
Virginian

It amazes me that so many people base Remington's quality abilities off the Express, the absolute bottom of the line, built to a price point, cheap pump. And then they say sagely how good the B guns are. Well, what about the issues Beretta has had with carriers forever? What about the infamous Benelli Click? No mechanical device is impervious to the ham handed operator.
Remington's higher end guns are excellent. The Sporting 1100s are very nicely finished, and the VersaMax is going strong. I for one hope a group that wants to build a quality product buys them, but I suspect it will be another cash seeking individual or group.
And the Ca. Teacher's group held less than 3% of their stock. I heard is was because an in law of the CEO lived in that community. Regardless, I think we are all going to take it in the teeth this time. Perfect timing from a liberal's perspective. Newly elected second term President who knows we hate his guts, and doesn't give a hoot, and rightfully so. So we are going to try to "disarm" as much as possible, while fully protecting the rights of whacked out weirdo upper middle class white kids. Typical.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:06 PM   #16
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I can't say anything bad about the new Remington's. I own a couple of 700's and they are great shooters. I just know there are a lot of issues due to QC. I was lucky, never had an issue at all. I do hope the Freedom Group, finds a new owners. I still wonder what will happen with Remington's Military contracts. They still supply the 700's(in fewer numbers) and not the M4's..... Only time will tell I guess.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 24, 2012, 08:36 PM   #17
TMD

Yup and for their shame of owning gun companies they will reap record profits from the sale.
Old December 24, 2012, 09:49 PM   #18
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
It amazes me that so many people base Remington's quality abilities off the Express,
I've have/had two Wingmasters and a 700 CDL that were crap.. Even the higher end stuff still comes out as crap... All three were bought new during the Cerebus era...
Old December 25, 2012, 12:19 PM   #19
Virginian

I say BULL, OR with your luck do not go anywhere near the racetrack. I have handled dozens; shot a VersaMax and a Sporting last weekend, and I have seen zero issues. A friend got a 700 in November and it is shooting beautifully. I am not saying they are all perfect, or all bad.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:30 PM   #20
johnbt

Remington/Cerberus ruined Marlin. They stopped production of entire model lines due to massive returns for repairs.

"When Cerberus bought Remington, a lot of gun folks hailed the move"

I thought they were all terribly misguided.

John
Old December 25, 2012, 11:53 PM   #21
jmortimer

^ Ain't that the truth.
Old December 26, 2012, 02:04 AM   #22
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
I say BULL, OR with your luck do not go anywhere near the racetrack. I have handled dozens; shot a VersaMax and a Sporting last weekend, and I have seen zero issues. A friend got a 700 in November and it is shooting beautifully. I am not saying they are all perfect, or all bad.
I have 870s that have had handled thousands of rounds without issue and 700s that drive tacks... I've bought two other 700s built recently that have functioned fine... But... I've spent my hard earned money on three new expensive turds and that's why I'm bitter about Remington Arms CO in recent years...

A good read on my Remington woes...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427633
Old December 26, 2012, 07:32 AM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Virginian, You posted the quoted...
Quote:
Your last sentence seems to be akin to "No offense intended but..."

If you agree they are "not all perfect, or all bad" then why are you callin' "BULL" on someone claiming 3 lemons???

Brent
Old December 26, 2012, 02:49 PM   #24
Virginian

The same reason I said stay away from the racetrack. 3 in a row versus what I have seen is long, bad odds.
Old December 26, 2012, 03:15 PM   #25
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

And a ten percent failure rate on brand new lithonia high dollar high energy outdoor commercial lighting fixtures is absurd but I had to put up with it...

That is the problem with declining quality and sorry quality control measures ... you get too many lemons...
Closed Thread