The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 5, 2013, 11:27 PM   #1
DavidB2

Remington 1911 slip stop issues

Took my recently purchased Remington R1 1911 out to the range today. It shot great and very accurate; but I had an issue with the slide stop not staying open after the first 200 rounds. On both of the mags that came with the pistol; the slide stop failed to stay open after the last round. The range director suggested that the mags were probably to blame and that I had "weak springs." He said to go home and slightly stretch the mag springs in order to make them tighter and be able to properly function; keeping the slide stop open.

I did as he suggested and took the springs out and stretched them; only slightly. After re-assembling them I inserted the mags into the pistol. Now the slide stop is extremely difficult to release when the mags are inserted. I had to really press down with both hands to release the slide. I know that the slide stop is not supposed to be easy to release with empty mags; but this seems a bit much. Perhaps now there is too much tension on the mag follower as it presses on the slide stop? I went ahead and loaded both mags with 7 rounds to try and lesson the the spring tension.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this issue are appreciated. I hope the mags are the problem and cause of my frustration. I plan to get new mags as soon as possible; as I think the Remington mags are cheap junk. Thanks for your insights!
Old January 6, 2013, 07:42 AM   #2
polyphemus

Sounds as if the follower is entirely missing the slide stop after the last round,
take a close look see how much engagement is there it is very possible that the
slide stop is out of specs as to the slide stop being hard to press down,non issue.It's in warranty I take it,have Remington straighten it out.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Smit

If you can gather up $30 try to go buy a good magazine and see what happens. When I purchased my 1911 the factory magazines caused feeding issues in the brand new gun. I went out and bought a couple Wilson mags.

I actually had to send the gun in eventually for separate issues, and when I did I was instructed to send it in with the magazines I was currently using. I sent in 1 Wilson and 1 factory mag. I have a feeling when they were working on it they used the Wilson and didn't even bother with their own factory mag.
Old January 6, 2013, 12:02 PM   #4
dgludwig

A big reason the slide doesn't stay open on the last shot for some shooters is that their thumb inadvertently comes in contact with the slide release while shooting. It's easy to do if you're not mindful as to where your thumb is positioned when shooting. Not saying this is what you're doing; just something to consider.
Old January 6, 2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB2
Any suggestions on how to remedy this issue are appreciated. I hope the mags are the problem and cause of my frustration. I plan to get new mags as soon as possible; as I think the Remington mags are cheap junk. Thanks for your insights!
Don't drop the slide with an empty magazine in the pistol -- or, for that matter, with no magazine present.

Para-Ordnance pistols are impossible to release with an empty mag in place. You are fighting the magazine spring. Simple solution, since dropping the slide on an empty chamber is VERY hard on the lower barrel lugs and slide stop pin, is ... don't do that.
Old January 6, 2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Lurch37

The easiest way for me to investigate some sort of magazine problem is to remove the slide/barrel assembly like if you were field stripping it. Then insert the slide stop back into the frame, insert an empty mag up into the frame and see how the follower is engaging the slide stop.

Although I am guilty of it as most are, I try to not to use the slide stop as a slide release. After firing the last round and upon the slide locking back, I insert a full mag, then pull back on the slide slightly to release the slide stop, then finally releasing the slide into battery.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:38 PM   #7
DavidB2

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their insights. The problem was the Remy mags. Bought a Chip McCormack mag and it worked great; and the slide locked back after it was empty. Seemed to be much better made; and you have the advantage of 8 rounds.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Order a couple of spare mag springs from Wolff (www.gunsprings.com), and you'll probably find that the original mags will work right when the springs are replaced. If not, you've got spare springs for your other mags, when you need them.