The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2013, 12:26 PM   #26
Clark

Quote:
FrankenMauser
.. each company uses their own alloy; and some use different alloys for different cartridges.

And I thought they were all the same, except Norma:
C26000 brass (cartridge brass)
Temper - H06
Tensile yield strength - 65,300 psi

I know Win and Rem brass will start to yield in a rifle work up at the exact same powder charge.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 5, 2013, 01:29 PM   #27
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I don't know for sure how many cases of various calibers I have , (thousands) but I know none of them are Federal . 20 years or so ago Federal was good brass , now I won't even pick it up off the ground !
Old January 5, 2013, 01:44 PM   #28
Moby

I have hundreds of cartridges of Federal brass to reload.
I'm also new to reloading. I'm so bummed to hear they suck.

Anyone have some suggestions for better relaoding brass?
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 6, 2013, 10:32 PM   #29
Tim R

It depends on when the Federal brass was made. Federal got cheap and the web under the primer area is rather thin.

I use Winchester brass for hunting and Lake City for loading ammo for my service rifles.

GI brass needs to have the primer pocket swaged one time to remove the crimp. The Dillon Super Swage is the standard if processing a bunch of GI brass. A swage will not fix an over sized primer pocket. The trash can will.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:52 PM   #30
5whiskey

Just to provide an update...

I've fired almost all of the rounds that I loaded. From my best guess, I have a around a 10% cull rate of the once fired brass. What I have noticed (I've loaded some of the now twice fired brass) is that if the primer pocket is good after the first firing, then it's also good after the second firing. No loose pockets on my twice fired brass. If it's a "10% cull rate the first firing and I'm good after that" thing, then that's a number I can live with.

FWIW, my best load averaged .7moa the other day. No signs of blown primers. I'm also not finished with my workup yet. Federal brass may not be the best, but it's working okay thus far for me. I may not get 10 loadings out of each case... but I have 100 casings laying around. If I get 5 loadings out of each one, then that's 500 rounds downrange. It'll take me a year or so to shoot that many rounds at long range.