The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2000, 01:19 PM   #1
Trooper

I recently placed my first order with Widener's for 2,000 IMI 62gr FMJSC bullets. It took several weeks to get the order although they charged my card the day I ordered. When I got the bullets none of them were green tipped. The worst part was trying to seat these suckers. They vary so much in length and in the o-give that they never seat consistently. E-mails to Widener's have gone unanswered and phone calls routed to someone who is never in and will get back to me. I have yet to hear from anyone. I know the IMI bullets are cheap in price, but I expected the quality advertised. Maybe I was stupid to believe them. Did I get hosed on this deal? What are your experiences with Widener's? How about the 62 grain SC not being green tipped---are they really steel cored?
Old December 23, 2000, 02:35 PM   #2
Cactus

While not experience with IMI's .224 cal. bullets, I did order a quantity of IMI .44 cal. 240 grain JHP's for indoor range plinking in my .44 Magnum. The quality of these bullets was extremely poor. The channelures were not square around the diameter of the bullet, nor were they at a consistant distance from the tip of the bullet. This made it impossible to establish a consistant crimp when loading.

I will never purchase any more IMI products. You get what you pay for!
Old December 24, 2000, 11:50 PM   #3
luk-e-1

widener's quality

While i haven't used any imi's from widener's,i have bought powdwers,primers,several brands of bullets,incliding 1000 pulled 230 fmjs for my .45acp.I have had very good results from everything i've tried and also experienced good service from them.I live about 50 miles from them and most of my stuff was picked up in person.All of my friends have had good experiences also,at leaast no one has mentioned any problems.I even bought a Chief A.J rebuilt Ruger Mini 14 from them for a friend a few years ago and he loved it.I would really be interested in hearing how this turns out as i have thought both Wideners and imi stood behind everything they sell/manufacture.Good Luck