The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2012, 09:59 PM   #1
jwrowland77

Pre-Priming Brass

Was just sitting here thinking about seeing places that sell brass already cleaned and primed. Well, knowing that you're supposed to keep the primers in the original package until using, how long can you keep brass primed, until you absolutely need to go ahead and load it?

I had contemplated priming brass, say a few hundred, and keeping them in an air tight container until I got ready to load them up, but haven't because of the warning of keeping them in the original package until ready to use.

How many of y'all prime your brass and let it set for a little but before loading them? Let say, no longer than 6 months for argument sake.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2
jimbob86

I have .... sometimes longer than 6 months. A lot longer.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old December 31, 2012, 10:05 PM   #3
splatman

wont hurt a thing. keep primers in original packaging for identification purposes and protection. You can load brass with primers and set them aside for as long as you want. just don't forget the type of primer in the brass which could lead to a reloading mistake.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Xfire68

I normally prime as I reload but, I have some 5.56 cases and some .380 ACP cases that are primed. The .380 has been primed for close to 2 years and I would not have any issue loading them.

www.aac300blackoutbrass.com A Veteran owned Business.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:09 PM   #5
jwrowland77

Oh ok sweet. I always use CCI primers and so far the same thing. For all my pistols it's SPP and rifle SRP. No magnums except my 7mm rem mag.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:10 PM   #6
jimbob86

ID is not a problem for me: .45 ACP means it's a WLR primer.

I've worked up loads with both CCI and WIN small primers .... in my 9mm plinking/target load, there's no real difference .....

Old December 31, 2012, 10:10 PM   #7
jwrowland77

Awesome. I had thought about it after I got done with case prep then just storing them, so all I have to do is powder and bullets. It would definitely speed things up when I get ready to load powder and bullets.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:16 PM   #8
jwrowland77

Well being a fairly new reloader, started in March, I wanted to verify with others that have been doing it longer than I have.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:38 PM   #9
jimbob86

1st, Welcome to the wonderful world of rollin' yer own!

2nd ..... I am sayin' I have done it .... and have had no issues.

3rd ...... YMMV.

Old December 31, 2012, 10:56 PM   #10
JimPage

I believe the admonition to keep the primers in their original packaging is to keep the neophyte from dropping a bunch of them in a jar as they tend to self detonate (sympathetic detonation) if one goes off for any of many reasons. Preloading and reasonable handling of primed cases ought not to be a problem.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old January 1, 2013, 12:45 AM   #11
Sevens

I've kept some brass primed for many months, simply stored in nothing more than a plastic container with a lid. In fact, my typical system is to prep a big load of brass (a couple thousand) and leave them in a container, pull out 200 or 500 at a time to make loaded ammo with. That's how I've been running my bench for the last 5 years or so.

As mentioned above--keeping them in their original packaging is because the packaging is designed to keep them from chain firing, and for easy identification of what they are. What wasn't mentioned is that apparently, the DOT believes that priming them in to brass makes them much, much safer. Packed in OEM primer boxes -- they are hazardous materials and must be shipped as such. Prime them in to cases, however, and they cease to be hazmat for the purpose of shipping.

In other words, if you wanna send your buddy 100 primers...it's a major hassle and a much increased shipping expense. Or -- you can prime 100 pieces of brass and then mail it along with anything else.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:49 AM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

I found some primed brass in a reporpoused Cool Whip bowl that I primed well over a year ago. I was happy that I did not have to go thought the priming step that day. All shot just fine. The bowl was open, no lid. They were stored inside my apartment. No exposure to extreme hot or cold.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:52 AM   #13
jwrowland77

Yeah I keep all my prepped brass in a airtight plastic container with seals out in my garage. I figure I could probably get away with priming them and storing them in those.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:42 AM   #14
kimbers rule

My wife and I inherited two coffee cans full of primed .38 brass from her grandfather. On the cans it reads, CCI smp oct 7 1982. We shot them all with no problem.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:26 AM   #15
wncchester

Primer boxes aren't air tight and no one worries about it. Primers don't care if they're "stored" in an empty case or factory box or even a loaded cartridge.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:27 AM   #16
chiefr

Having been doing this reloading thing for now over 40 years, I can remember quite a bit of new brass from the factories was pre-primmed. New unprimed brass was not always available and difficult to find.
These days, I rarely see pre-primmed brass and frankly people of my generation did not like it.
Fact is Murphy is always around. Some of the pre-primmed stuff would get wet, or tarnished if it sat around to long despite how well you protected it and people wanted to tumble it.
Also, and even worse, case length/shapes varied in new brass considerably and folks prepped their brass accordingly. Comp shooters who reload want particular primers from a different mfg or same lot, thus a myriad of reasons pre-primed cases dissapeared from main stream.

Last edited by chiefr; January 1, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:11 PM   #17
armoredman

I bought pre-primed brass once...they were beat up pretty bad when I got them.
I pre prime brass all the time, and mine are stored in plastic sandwich or freezer bags, depending how much there is. Haven't had any issues yet. Been doing this for 10 years now, pretty short time compared to some.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:32 PM   #18
jwrowland77

Awesome to hear y'all. I believe I'll start priming my brass after I get done prepping it. One less thing to do if I just want to load up and go.
Old January 1, 2013, 06:42 PM   #19
m&p45acp10+1

I keep a whole lot of my brass primed, and ready to go. That way all I have to do is set up my powder dispenser, and charge. I then seat/crimp. Bag/box and take to the range. Makes things a lot faster when I want to load some up for a week end of shooting.
Old January 1, 2013, 06:43 PM   #20
hounddawg

I do the plastic bag storage myself, 100 primed cases per bag and the bags stored in dollar store plastic containers sorted by caliber
Old January 1, 2013, 06:46 PM   #21
m&p45acp10+1

I keep mine in open topped bowls. Though most times it only stays in them for a few days till I reload them. Plastic 3 pound coffee cans work great as well.
Old January 1, 2013, 06:51 PM   #22
jwrowland77

Yeah, I could see how it would definitely let me do more in a batch when doing powder and bullets.
Old January 1, 2013, 07:00 PM   #23
m&p45acp10+1

I still use a single stage so I batch everything. It makes things go much faster on Saturday morning after my coffee, and new paper time before I load up rounds to get ready for the range.
Old January 1, 2013, 07:14 PM   #24
jwrowland77

Yeah that's what I use. I'm just stock piling right now, since I'm getting the house ready for my wife to leave to go to Basic Training for the Air Force. I could see how this would definitely help me when it's just me and the girls for 6 months.
Old January 1, 2013, 07:26 PM   #25
dickttx

Well, knowing that you're supposed to keep the primers in the original package until using

When you put them in a case you ARE using them.