The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 16, 2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Ludwig Von Mises

Scoping VEPR/other high end AK variants

Howdy,

Posted a month and a half ago about a new Arsenal VEPR, the thumbhole stock version which is otherwise featureless (94 ban era stuff, no threadcover on muzzle, no threads, etc.)

I've put somewhere in the neighborhood of 750 rounds through it, and have solved the brass killing with some artful placement of rubber, also acting as a BHO on the charging handle.

Now, my buddy just bought a house, short sale, and the guy left something like 20 guns and a few weaver/bushnell/leupold scopes sitting around.

One of them is a nice old school Weaver fixed 4x, real clear glass, no fog as other people say, and I'm running into some issues with throwing it on the top of this thing.

From the perspective of energy transfer under fire and the ability to hold a consistent zero (I can shoot one holes at 50yd with irons, I'd expect to do it at 100 with a 4x) is the normal dogleg combloc sidemount the way to go?

Have seen various bolt cover applications, which seem sketchy to say the least, but some people swear by them (texas weapon industries rings a bell).

Thanks in advance for any responses, just trying to make this thing shine here. Irons aren't cutting it, no ghost ring, no way...

Last edited by Ludwig Von Mises; March 16, 2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Friend has tigr, sent picture, first question pointless.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Rangegod

Recently added an Ampoint PRO to my 7.62x39 VEPR K and a 2x7 on my .308 VEPR II carbine. I used this on both and like it better than any other AK mount I've used in the past.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/411...ide-rail-matte

Unlike the K-Var (aka. Arsenal) mounts the rail is VERY low on the dust cover and it is much more versatile then the commie stuff. Mine have both held "zero" with no problems even after being removed and replaced.

Not the best pics but you can get the idea.

JAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2-2.JPG (72.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2-3.JPG (71.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Rangegod; March 18, 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old March 26, 2013, 12:11 AM   #3
Ludwig Von Mises

Update: Ordered RS Regulate side mount from Brownells, temporarily put on one of those UTG/leapers quick detach side mounts and a weaver k4-f scope from when zeppelin IV came out, with a slight rise as to accommodate the muffs I often wear when I forget my plugs at home.

Can't post pictures from this computer, but will come with them soon. Prelim is very encouraging, especially considering the relatively low quality of the mount and my general lack of training. With a good light trigger bolt gun in 270 or 30-06 i can hold sub MOA just fine, but I've never spent enough time with a semi to really know.

I've put around 300 rounds through it since installing the scope, with multiple detaches for eye-relief repositioning and cleaning, and the accuracy up close seems to be somewhat better with 150gr Fiocchi than Lake City M118, which is odd, but may be attributable to the 1:11 twist or the fact that I was only shooting at around 95m.

Zeroed starting at 25 yds, scope offset is just under three inches (yikes) so I placed the 150s about 2-2.5 low at 50, and this put me just about an inch high at 100.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I figured it was kinda like putting new strings on a guitar, where you stretch them as you go to make sure that they, as a gun person would term it, "hold zero", so I made sure to bang it around and take the scope mount off and on. Tightened the screw and rezeroed a few times, mostly dealing with slight windage tweaks, until i got it as close to default as possible. In the three range trips since then, it's held zero, and I'm slightly regretting buying the three-times-as-expensive RS mount.

Last trip, shot a best 5 shot of 1.75 at 95m with 150grs and 2.5inches with the 175's. Though I will say that the 175s were more consistent with less stragglers, albeit twice as expensive. 175s were also alot more consistent for rapid follow up shots on backstop trash, etc. I'm sure it would have been better with a proper bipod and a 3-9, even a 2-7, the 4x leaves much to be desired. But I'm cheap and free is my favorite word.

Conclusion: best grand I ever spent. Only downside is the POI change from any sort of shooting sling, being that the sling attaches directly to the gas block in this configuration. Otherwise, if you see one, get one.

EDIT: M118's were actually resized undamaged LC brass loaded with nosler 175 HPBTs and no idea what powder. Definitely need something faster though, the 16 inch brakeless barrel is throwing basketball sized flames in the daytime.

Last edited by Ludwig Von Mises; March 26, 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old March 26, 2013, 01:16 AM   #4
Venom1956

holy crap wish i'd buy a house with a pile of guns in it.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old March 26, 2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Ludwig Von Mises

Yeah, also came out with an interarms whitworth mark x 25-06, savage navy 1860, two 1850s colts, a couple of winchester 97s and a schmidt rubin... thats just what i can remember off the top of my head. two enfields and a ruger blackhawk. i cant even name anymore.

Last edited by Ludwig Von Mises; March 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM.