The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 31, 2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

IPSC Rifle: CZ 58: no BS assessment

I enjoy IPSC.

I've been in competitions for a year now. No sharpshooter, but I am holding my own against more experienced competitors. I'd like to try my hand at the rifle category at some stage.

My choices here are limited. I can buy an AR from Schmeisser for $€$€$€$€, or a DPMS AR for $€$€$€, or I can look for a used Saiga AK for $€$€, or I can buy a brand new CZ 858 Tactical for merely $€!!

Rreally, the CZ is masses cheaper than the DPMS (cheapest AR platform), by about €1000!! About €2000 less than the Schmeisser.
That would mean enough saved for a sight, loads of ammo components and reloading supplies to make up the 7.62x39 cartridge.

However, I have reservations and this is where I need existing CZ owner input.

Firstly, ammo. I understand that there are now almost no guns still being made in that cartridge, so will ammo availability be a problem in the future?

Secondly, I understand that IPSC rifle comps involve some CQ stages where the CZ would fair well, being small, but also some LR stages where I may need to shoot at a target 300m or more away. Is the little CZ actually capable of that distance, let alone accurately? I've been given the impression that 250m would be about the best you could expect.

I would buy some sights, but I don't know yet which ones...

Thoughts?
Old January 1, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Valerko

I have CZ 58 and its a great rifle. More then capable of doing what you want.
I do believe you can get it in 5.56/.223 caliber as well as 7.62 x39.
But 7.62 would do just fine even at 300+ yards ( with optic of course) , but it will also be harder on recoil and harder to customize .Not that many options on rails and accessories as oppose to AR platform. But if budged is an issue , I'd have no problem trusting CZ.
I'm not competive shooter by no means. This is just my 2 cents
Old January 2, 2013, 08:41 AM   #3
FALPhil

You might want to join the CZ Forum and ask your questions over there. That forum has more than a few Vz 58 owners, plus there is Vz 58 vendor support over there.

The bonus is that they are a friendly and helpful bunch of people.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Gerry

Rifle is slowly getting more popular here in Canada. Mostly everyone is still using some form of AR-15 with .223 for minor power factor (150, standard). Most of the targets are close (5 to 25 meters) since many of the same stage types are used for pistol, and in that class you're shooting on the run and in odd positions from barriers exactly as you would with pistol. We only do standard classes, so no 320 power factor bi-pod scope stuff at 300 yards yet for us. Someday maybe, but then a lot of us will have to buy new guns!