The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 22, 2012, 04:51 PM   #1
91NWhawksfan

EAA and SAR

Does anyone have any experience with these brands??

Looking at the SAR B6 and EAA Witness 9MM

Sounds like they are nice guns and are based off the CZ 75
Old December 22, 2012, 06:05 PM   #2
FALPhil

I do not know about the SAR, but the EAA Witness is indeed a CZ75 clone.

There are two versions of the Witness - small frame and large frame. The small frame used to be made by Tanfoglio for 9mm and 40S&W. The tooling and rights for the small frame were sold to a Philippean company several years ago.

The large frame Witness, which supported the 45ACP, 38 Super, and 10mm are still being made by Tanfoglio. Tanfoglio has standardized even the 9x19mm in the large frame.

The lower end of the EAA Witness line is a very good value. While their parts are not interchangeble with the CZ, they work the same and are easy for the home enthusiast to improve.

In the picture below, the pistol on the left is an EAA Witness Silver Team small frame. It is my game gun. The one in the middle is an early B model CZ75 for comparison.

Old December 22, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3
ltc444

I've been shooting a TZ 75 for some 30 years. I purchased a EAA witness in 9mm in 1997. I find them both to be very accurate and reliable. both were manufactured by Tanfoglio.

The finish is not the best but they are an outstanding value.
Old December 22, 2012, 06:24 PM   #4
plouffedaddy

EAA Witness 9mm HD Video Review Link

^^That's my opinion of the EAA Witness 9mm. Short summary---you get a lot of gun for your money.

Last edited by plouffedaddy; December 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old December 22, 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
jsalas2

Witness Match 9mm

Here is mine, just got it last week. Beautiful gun, heavy but very well balanced. Love the single action trigger, hard to find. Although Bud's guns and Impact guns just got in a supply this week, won't last long. I searched for a month just to find this one. I had a red dot and mount on my M&P handgun, it fit this gun perfect. Impressive gun at an affordable price. There are some reviews of this alongside a CZ SP-01 and they were pretty equal. You can change the calibers with a simple conversion kit to .22 .40, My next purchase is the .22 conversion kit which is also hard to find. Don't hesitate to purchase one of these if you can find one.

Last edited by jsalas2; December 22, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old December 22, 2012, 06:55 PM   #6
91NWhawksfan

Thanks for the quick responses, decided to go ahead and order the Witness off Bud's. It's been impossible to find a resonably priced hand gun recently with everything thats been going on, had been waiting to get a Ruger P95 or S&W SW9VE but they have been hard to find and selling out quick so I decided I may as well jump on the Witness for only 300 from Buds. Sounds like it is a pretty solid 9MM excited to get it and take it to the range
Old December 22, 2012, 07:02 PM   #7
FALPhil

Quote:
...had been waiting to get a Ruger P95 or S&W SW9VE but they have been hard to find and selling out quick ...
You must have a guardian angel. The Witness is head and shoulders above both of those pistols.
Old December 22, 2012, 07:42 PM   #8
tekarra

You may also want to look at the Canik lineup. They are similar to the cZ75 and are made in Turkey.