The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 20, 2012, 09:42 PM   #1
TheGoldenState

AR-Insanity

So with the impending ban coming (it is), I figured time to add a second AR to the group.

I called nearly two-dozen gun stores today in my county, as well as two surrounding counties. All the big names, all the little ones. ALL out of AR's, none could point me in the direction of a place that had any. I spoke with one guy for awhile who said he has been in the gun business his entire career, was around for the first ban, worked for colt, and now at the LGS he is at; he said this frenzy is blowing the other ones out of the water. Local Turners said they sold their last 25 this morning and weren't getting anymore in. Another said their went out two at a time. Another said I was two-days late and good luck. Another said I was a week late and good luck. Another said he cant get parts let alone a completed gun.

I was literally answered with a few laughs when I would call and ask if there were any AR's in stock.

Anyway, local gun store where i do alot of business said he had two Colt Experts (1600$) and 2 Windham SRC's (one spoken for-$1100) arriving tomorrow.

I called a few other store back, being I never heard of Windham, and each told me it would be smart to take the deal---they would.

So I did.

Apparently Windham is the new take of Bushmaster; using the same employees/machines. My other AR is a bush, I can't say anything bad about it.

Anyone have any experience with a Windham AR?

Panic-buy, maybe. Good buy, hopefully.
Old December 21, 2012, 06:27 PM   #2
tobnpr

Reviews I've read say they're a decent stick, and the price is fair...

Not a sub-moa rifle, but most AR's aren't if you strip away the online hype.

All the nutjobs paying $500 for a $80 stripped lower are gonna feel raped when the "new" AWB never materializes....

Pure hysteria. At least, it's producing revenue, and OT for those working at the plants.
Old December 21, 2012, 06:36 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

I just got home from the gun store. I had to park down the street the parking lot was full, and there was a line of cars parked down the street. The shelves were bare of nearly every AR platform with the exception of one that is chambered in .410 shot shell, and one pink one. They sold 20 AR platform rifles, including 8 AR 10 rifles in 6 hours. Hi Cap mags were gone as well. People were at the hand gun counter buying anything that holds over 10 rounds. It was insane. I bought a can of powder I am out of. I handed the manager the money over the counter. He did not even have the chance to ring it up. I would have had a few cents in change coming I told him not to worry about it. It was insane. I know with it being the last Friday before Christmas that they would be busy. Though it was not even that way before, and after the 2008 ObamaNation election when people were panic buying like crazy.
Old December 21, 2012, 06:52 PM   #4
WillyKern69

Same here. no AR to be had. I settled on a Sig P226
Old December 21, 2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Justice06RR

Seems to be a decent AR. I've held one at my LGS a few months back. If you have the funds to buy it, go ahead. You won't be able to find one that cheap for a while.
Old December 21, 2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Hog Red

stopped by my local Walmart during lunch to pick up some ammo and noticed all of their black rifles were gone or pulled. Glad i bought my Colt way back when.
Old December 21, 2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

Yeah, I'm just going to have to settle for the rifles I already have.

Need to find one of those EBR stocks for my Garand so it can be evil too.
Old December 22, 2012, 04:41 AM   #8
TheGoldenState

Tob,
This one, I think more than any other Feinstein pushes annually, will go through. Pres will be pushing hard.

M&P,
Typical now. Like it said, nearly two-dozen. Crazy

Willie,

Dont ruin it. lol
Old December 22, 2012, 06:35 AM   #9
Pilot

Quote:
This one, I think more than any other Feinstein pushes annually, will go through. Pres will be pushing hard.
Maybe they will push hard but Congress must push back harder. I have let ALL my elected representatives know that if they support ANY more gun control on legal firearms that I will fire them in the next election, and their cushy, lucrative political career will come to a screaching halt.
Old December 22, 2012, 06:47 AM   #10
NavyEngineer

My Dad bought a Windham "MPC" a few weeks ago, and is very happy with it. He also purchased a CMMG .22lr conversion kit, which is reasonably accurate, functions well, and allows him to shoot it cheaply.
Old December 22, 2012, 06:53 AM   #11
Mobuck

I called my local gun dealer yesterday and asked if they had any customers looking for an AR. the answer was "well, yeah". When I told them I was going to have several for sale after Christmas, they got real talkative. It seems mine may be the only ones on hand for sale in a 100 mile radius. Going to finance a home addition with the excess I've accumulated over the last 5 years.
Old December 22, 2012, 08:00 AM   #12
kimbershot

windham = maine, which is where bushmaster was before it was sold. essentially it's still bushmaster--folks up there started their own company. don't worry--gun works, only difference is prices are up.
Old December 22, 2012, 10:53 AM   #13
2tango2

I bought my first AR yesterday, the Windham MPC. Last week these were selling for somewhere in the 850 range I believe. Now the rate is 999 for the SRC and 1049 for the MPC.

They also had Sig M400's for 1299 I think and the enhanced for 1499. I see that Walmart was selling the Enhanced on Black Friday for 867 so you can see that price has almost doubled in light of recent events. And that isn't even taking into account the crazy prices you are seeing on gunbroker. I considered the Sig for a moment but decided on the MPC and with the extra savings I was able to also buy 1000 rounds of Federal ammo.

The shop opened at 10, I got there at 8 and there was already a line. I was number 10 in line and by the time the doors opened there were maybe 50 or so in line and it was getting longer. They have a deli number system and they handed out the numbers prior to letting us in. Worked out well as from start to finish including background check it only took maybe 30 minutes?

People are panicking that is for sure. Did I overpay? Perhaps but I'm happy I was able to secure one. When I drove back by the shop maybe an hor later there still was a line waiting to get in.

This ban may be for real fellahs. Yeah we have seen this in the past but this time I think it will be different given the circumstances. I hope to hell that I'm wrong but glad I was able to get an AR before anything is set in stone.
Old December 22, 2012, 11:09 AM   #14
m.p.driver

Better stock up on mags too.There's idiots bidding $80.00 and up on the auctions for a pmag.Bought them last month from cdnn for $9.00. I feel the 1994 frenzy all over again.
Old December 22, 2012, 02:08 PM   #15
TheGoldenState

I'm good on the mags.

Just wanted to make sure I had the gun.
Old December 22, 2012, 02:55 PM   #16
UtopiaTexasG19

So what's wrong with a pink AR? Nothing that a $4 spray can in black won't fix.
Old December 22, 2012, 03:54 PM   #17
ripnbst

A shop near me has rifles for decent prices. They had three of them on the wall yesterday. Fat boy tactical in Bixby, OK. Give them a call.
Old December 22, 2012, 09:32 PM   #18
Clark

In 1994 the AWB caused the cost of an AR to double from ~ $550 to ~ $1100 that I was seeing in gun stores.
And AR15 is still worth ~ $1100.

Meanwhile Microsoft stock on Sept 13, 1994 was ~ $57.50.
For the cost of an AR [$575], one could have bought 10 shares.
It has had 4 splits at 2:1 since.
One would have 160 shares now
By 2000, that stock was worth ~ $5,000.
In 2012 that stock is still worth ~ $5,000, but it has been paying some dividends.

Guns and Guitars appreciated at ~ 3% compounded over 10 year or over 100 years. Colt SAA have done better and Mossberg bolt action shotguns have done worse.

The stock market has appreciated at ~9% compounded over the long term. Microsoft has done better, indymac has done worse.

Ruger [RGR] is America's largest firearms manufacturer, and 4 years ago after the election it was at $6, now it is at $44.
That is ~64% compounded.

That's my kind of madness.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 22, 2012, 10:55 PM   #19
tuck2

Will the proposed gun laws outlaw large capacity magazines ? If they come up with a max ten shot capacity magazine , could the larger magazines be cut off so that they could only hold ten rounds??
Old December 22, 2012, 11:58 PM   #20
tobnpr

Quote:
Tob,
Sure he will.
But, that's why we have the Senate and the House of Representatives.
I think Boehner may be pressured to bring something to a vote on the floor, but it sure won't be Feinstein's bill. Guaranteed.

The AWB was in full force and effect for years when the Columbine Massacre occurred. What more needs to be shown to prove it's ineffectiveness, aside from every other study done that showed it did nothing to reduce mass murders- which is exactly why it was allowed to sunset after ten years.

I believe they will- and SHOULD- close the "gun-show" loophole, and require ALL ownership transfers of weapons to be done through FFL's with corresponding background checks and recordkeeping.
No reason every firearm shouldn't be duly accounted for to an individual that's passed a background check to own one.

As the hysteria (justifiable) from the horrible tragedy subsides, cooler heads will prevail. Even the left is acknowledging the issues are deep and complicated, and instituting a ban on weapons where millions already exist is not a slam dunk.

It's ironic that even as schools around the country are placing armed security on their campuses, the leftist media is still slamming the NRA for that "ridiculous" suggestion.

Doesn't matter what the NRA says, or does, it will be strung up and quartered by the liberal media.

Not to sound callous- really- but this nation has much, much bigger fish to fry over the next few months.
Old December 23, 2012, 03:27 AM   #21
Clark

Quote:
tobnpr
I believe they will- and SHOULD- close the "gun-show" loophole, and require ALL ownership transfers of weapons to be done through FFL's with corresponding background checks and recordkeeping.
No reason every firearm shouldn't be duly accounted for to an individual that's passed a background check to own one.
I hope you are wrong.
I pay 20% extra for no paper trail.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 23, 2012, 01:49 PM   #22
tobnpr

I would gladly fight for my 2nd Amendment rights.
Unfortunately, the left (predictably) jumped on this tragedy with a knee-jerk reaction without a calm, reasonable approach.

I would add, that I am curious as to why you feel it is important for you to own untraceable firearms.

While I am quite disturbed with "big brother" in other aspects of our lives, this is one that I cannot logically refute.

Our cars are registered....shouldn't all of our firearms be?

Of course, we will still always have "homememade", and completely legal, unregistered firearms.
Old December 23, 2012, 02:02 PM   #23
RUT

>>Our cars are registered....shouldn't all of our firearms be?<<

Never has the registration of cars led to their mass confiscation, but in almost all cases it has when related to firearms. That's reason enough for me.
Old December 23, 2012, 05:21 PM   #24
Dr Big Bird PhD

Cars shouldnt be registered is the correct answer
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 23, 2012, 07:01 PM   #25
ak2323

I've seen much the same thing at LGS's and even the big stores.

There's a remarkable amount of panic purchasing going on and its not just ARs.