The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 19, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
bigjimmy

Upgrade this AR-15 or buy a new one? PIC

Hello,

First post.

I have a Bushmaster AR-15. This gun was bought during the Clinton ban so the stock does not collapse. I would like to buy a new flat-top upper to put on this gun so I can use an EO-Tech sight that I have and add on other accessories.

I really do not know too much about the compatibility between the different AR-15 parts makers. So I have several questions:

1. Should I just buy a completely new gun or buy a new upper and stock for this one? I wondering what makes most sense economically.

2. If I do buy a new upper, does it have to be a Bushmaster or will any AR-15 upper work?

3. If I get a new upper do I need to get a bolt assembly that is specific to that upper or will my current one work?

Here is a pic of my current rifle:

Thanks for any help guys.

Jimmy
Old December 19, 2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Mobuck

Generally speaking, any AR 15 upper will fit on any AR15 lower. There are some tolerance variations that may make the fit looser than you'd like or tighter than is prudent to jam together.
While it's considered acceptable by some to swap BCG between uppers, I would only do so as a last resort. I've found that new bolts and new uppers seem to be fine but used bolt and used or new upper is a question mark.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Quentin2

You might want to test the water and see how much these older A2s go for. I'd say you would do better selling it and getting something more modern, maybe from PSA.

With the current market conditions you might get a good price for the old BM but then pay more for the new AR.

Last edited by Quentin2; December 20, 2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:54 PM   #4
GlenF

bigjimmy

I recognize that muzzle break. Big noise.

A while back I bought a used Bushmaster carbine that looks a lot like the one you pictured. Except mine had the collapsible stock. Anyway, I kept the lower and purchased a LMT upper which fit perfectly.
Old December 19, 2012, 09:49 PM   #5
sailskidrive

Quote:
You might want to test the water and see how much these older A1s go for. I'd say you would do better selling it and getting something more modern, maybe from PSA.
I just sold a low end DPMS parts gun for $800; I'm sure you could unload that A1 right now if you wanted to. I personally would look around for its replacement before you dispose of it.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old December 19, 2012, 10:13 PM   #6
ripnbst

Palmetto State Armory has an upper that will fit on your lower for sale right now that they ACTUALLY show as "In stock". At least earlier today it was.

I would just buy another upper and run it on your existing Bushy lower. You could always put it back to the way it is currently and sell it complete later and buy a lower closer to the deadline if we think that is actually where we will end up.

Then you would essentially have two complete rifles, one to sell or not, your call.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:44 PM   #7
Mobuck

Sorry guys, that's not an A1. That's an A2 rear sight.
Old December 20, 2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Quentin2

Yep, A2 upon closer look.
Old December 20, 2012, 03:30 AM   #9
Dr Big Bird PhD

In the wake of all this hysteria, I don't think buying a new AR right now is terribly savvy. It'll probably be easier to buy uppers/stocks/parts than complete rifles.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 20, 2012, 03:48 AM   #10
Auto426

Quote:
In the wake of all this hysteria, I don't think buying a new AR right now is terribly savvy. It'll probably be easier to buy uppers/stocks/parts than complete rifles.
It's extremely difficult to buy anything AR at the moment. Those who aren't experienced with them are buying complete guns the second they hit dealer shelves, and those are are familiar with them are buying up any components that can get their hands on. And naturally, the higher demand is driving up prices on everything.

I personally would buy a second rifle, one free of the AWB era "features". Keep the old one, and maybe consider upgrading it when all of this panic buying settles down.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:35 PM   #11
Bwana4

sell it

well all the AR;s are off the shelves here in NJ, and we're the third most restrictive state. I had a double my cost offer for a heavy barrel Remington AR w/ 2-16x great quality scope. The problem is finding another this time. If you can get anotherm then sell it, otherwise, all parts are more or less compatible- just read the forums! There's 5 years worth of info at our fiingertips.

The prices if AR's junped at leats $300 here in the last 4 days.
Old December 21, 2012, 02:43 AM   #12
iraiam

I'm in the same boat, I have a match grade colt that I'm in the process of upgrading to a flat top upper. plus another upper I have for it.

I was going to sell it until I saw the price of one just like it a LGS, about what I paid for it in 1994, so I'll just keep it, it's a good one.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old December 23, 2012, 04:57 PM   #13
bigjimmy

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses.

I ended up purchasing a new upper, stock, and BCG.

When/if everything dies down, I might purchase another lower so I have two guns. We'll see.

Thanks guys.

Jimmy
Old December 23, 2012, 07:12 PM   #14
jackpine

If you look at mounts available you can get a "goose-neck" scope mount and place your EO-tech on that and the stocks are easy to swap out. I would buy a new stock and reciever extention and order a CAR stock wrench and do it to it.