The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 29, 2012, 10:58 PM   #51
ndking1126

Quote:
Today, I rarely see anyone with an earplug case hung from ACU
It's a requirement for every Soldier here at Fort Carson. Every time we go to our required checkups they give us another set if we don't have one with us.
Old December 29, 2012, 11:05 PM   #52
shredder4286

Quote:
It's a requirement for every Soldier here at Fort Carson.
Definitely a unit-specific thing, like many others in the Army. I'm in 3rd BCT here at Carson, and it's not part of our uniform. They always just stick some NCO they don't know what else to do with at the entry point with a box of foam plugs.

Quote:
Ya'know, they did a lot of stupid stuff back in WWII, that doesn't mean we should continue it
Agreed, and to each his own, but common sense needs to prevail here. I can't believe how far this thread has gone on, and how many have advocated not wearing hearing protection when firing a weapon is imminent. Feel free to bring harm to your own senses, but don't promote others to do the same. That's just poor sportsman's etiquette.
Old December 29, 2012, 11:23 PM   #53
TripHlx

I've been nearby while a 91/30 and an M44 were being fired while I wasn't wearing ear protection. At about 20ft away it wasn't bothersome, but boy does that M44 create one heck of a concussion. Gives a real thump deep in the chest.

I fired my Handi-Rifle in .270 Win from the back of my fan once. It started raining while I was zeroing the rifle, and I didn't want to pack up for a light rain. Let down the stow away seats, opened the rear door and proned out on the floor of the van. Even with good hearing protection on it felt like I got smacked in the head with a mallet when I pulled the trigger. Ended the zeroing pretty quickly.