The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 18, 2000, 04:59 PM   #1
Tamaoduh

Im planning on getting a 9mm...and heard that the G19 and 229 are both exceptional pistols...which one should i get???
Old April 18, 2000, 06:29 PM   #2
Russell92

i was considering between the same 2 pistols and as of last week i'm a proud new owner of a Glock 19.

as you said they are both excellent pistols; here's why i choose the glock over the sig:

1. the trigger; one of the main reasons i got the glock was the single type of trigger. the Sig is a DA/SA and therefore you have to learn 2 different types of triggers and practice the transition. i have 2 beretta 92s in DA/SA and i have trouble with them. i only shot the G19 once and i already shoot it better than my 92FS.
2. the feel. this is all in your persnal opinion but i like the feel of the glock better. it points naturally for me so i can get off the first shot more accurately and quickly.
3. capability didn't have much to do with it (13 compared to 15). however i don't mind the fact that G19 mags can be had for less than sig mags. 229 mags are around $100 at best and G19 mags if your lucky can be found for down to $40.
4. reliability. they are both superbly reliable guns but i would give a strong nod toward the glock on reliability. glocks will work in many situations were a sig would jam up.
5. durability. i'm a young shooter and would like to own my guns for the rest of my life. i know the glock will outlive me but the sig may not. some sigs don't even go over 20,000 rounds before they die.
6. accuracy. yes i know sigs are more accurate but not by that much. besides the fact that glocks point better and i like the trigger more make them more accurate for me.
7. i wanted to start GSSF (Glock Sports Shooting Foundation). its a shooting sport somewhat like IDPA but you need a glock to compete. it sounds like alot of fun.
8. i just like the glock in general more for many other reasons.

its all up to you. as i said one of the biggest factors when choosing between 2 top quality guns is the feel. if one feels better than the other get that one.

oh yeah the glocks are about $100-150 less than the sigs around here so i don't minde paying less for a better gun IMHO.
Old April 18, 2000, 07:17 PM   #3
chaho

Russel I agree with all your points with the exception of #6. I have shot both and the G19 is a little more accurate for me.
Also you can get many aftermarket gizzmoze for glocks; like the M3 light, 3.5 lbs trigger conector.... And best of all, I think there are many more glock armorers around to help you with service in case something goes wrong. I know sig service is great but they tend to take a little long to deliver.
Both guns are great, you have to choose which is comfortable for you. Try renting both. Sig 229 is heavy and points better. If you are going to do a lot of shooting get the G19. If you are more of a collector get the Sig 229. I think they might be worth more in the long run. Go to www.sigforum.com and www.glocktalk.com and ask the same question. Good luck !
Old April 18, 2000, 07:51 PM   #4
jwong

I'm not too sure what the availability of the Sig 229 in 9mm is in your area. But in Southern California, they are almost impossible to find... And when you do find one, it usually costs a premium. Just something to consider...
Old April 18, 2000, 09:24 PM   #5
thequickad

Usually, it's the P228 that's compared to the G19. Since the 228 has the lighter slide than the full stainless P229. I own both the G19 and the P228. The 228 is a bit more accurate but the G19 weighs less. Also, the grip to frame angle is different and I prefer the G19. You should try to handle both guns at your local gun shop before deciding. the Grip angle is very important.
Old April 18, 2000, 10:19 PM   #6
bad_dad_brad

Glock 19 is the better all around choice (cheaper and just a capable). I have one. However, both pistols are excellent choices. Note that the P229 is more comparable to the Glock 17 in size, Glock 19 being more compact.

The police force in the city I live in recently selected the P229 in .40 over primarily the Glock 22. In this case, they had a federal grant so money was no object.

Personally I think they made a mistake. The Glock is lighter, holds a few more rounds, is far more durable, and accuracy is close enough not to make a difference.

Have to agree that the trigger in a safe action Glock is much easier to learn than any DA/SA auto (like the SIG).
Old April 18, 2000, 10:52 PM   #7
Tecolote

Note P229 and P228 are the same size. The latter weighs 1 ounce less as it has less mass in the slide. As well the P229's slides are machined from stainless stock while the P228s are stamped.

Check out www.glocktalk.com and www.sigforum.com for somewhat biased opinions.

There's only one person that can know which is better, and that is YOU. If you're in SOCAL finding a well-stocked range won't be a problem so you'll be able to shoot both side by side.

I prefer the P228 over the Glock 19 for several reasons.

1. The P228 has been 100% reliable. The first Glock 19 I owned had several failures to eject. The second worked always. So I guess it's the luck of the draw, at least in my case.

2. I prefer DA/SA. DA first shot is not a handicap. I'm just an amateur but I've got no problem getting all rounds in a tight 4 inch group out to 15 yards. SA is light, crisp and I like the option. Like a standard versus an automatic car.

3. The P228 gives you a second strike capability. On the Glock you've got to work the slide to get off a second round. In some situations I can see the second strike being vry useful.

4. I prefer the solid recoil of the P228. The Glock 19's polymer frame flexes too much for me.

5. I'm far more accurate with the P228. Glock trigger take a little getting used to, and for some of us no amount of practice is enough. Try as I might I could never master the mushy trigger.

6. Rust, you'll hear people say that SIG Sauer rust. Yes, rust is an issue if you don't take care of your stuff. I've never had troubel with rust on a P228 in all sorts of conditions, wet and humid and worse. Take care of your stuff and it'll take care of you.

7. Preban mags, just as expensive for both so there's no real benefit. SOmetimes you can find bargains but on the average this shouldn't be an issue.

8. 10 rounds mags cpst exactly the same. $18 for Glock 19s and $18 MecGars for the P228s. No difference.

9. The P228 feels perfect in my hand. The Glock 19's angle was too uncomfortable for me.

In the end choose the one you're most accurate with, feels best in your hand and that you like the most. Both are excellebnt defense tools.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.
Old April 19, 2000, 02:04 AM   #8
KOG

Definitely get the one you like and shoot the best. Try them both if possible, sometimes guns feel good in the store but not at the range. They are both good and you can't go wrong with either, heck get both. I prefer the Sigs because of better ergonomics and accuracy(for me at least). Both are reliable, Glock has an edge on corrosion-resistance.

Triggers are different on both but I don't have a problem with either. Just pull the trigger when you want to shoot, keep it out of the trigger guard when you don't want to. I don't care for the way Glocks point or the way they vibrate in my hand upon firing; my sole criticism of the Glock, otherwise a fine gun. Sigs feel more solid to me and I like the smooth trigger feel.

Someone mentioned earlier that Sigs will only last 20,000 or so rounds. Sorry, but that's not the case. There were a few reported frame cracks in early Sigs(the P220 and P226); those guns still worked fine with their hairline cracks, yet they were replaced by Sig gratis. Sig beefed up the guns around 1994 to deal with the few problems that were reported and better deal with +P loads; haven't heard of a cracked frame in quite some time. I've known of Sigs that have had 100,000's of rounds through them with no problems. If it's mechanical, it can break, but Glocks and Sigs don't do that that often. Good luck.
Old April 19, 2000, 07:20 AM   #9
lucky085

I have a sig P228 and a glock 29(10MM) and like both very much. Of course the 10mm has considerably more punch than the P228. I have crimson trace laser grips on the sig, which makes it kind of fun to shoot.
Old April 20, 2000, 04:48 PM   #10
7th Fleet

From your post I gathered that you want a pistol that will last you the rest of your life. It is definitley the Glock 19 over the Sig. I have test results where the FBI tested alloy framed guns and they determined that the projected life expectancy of an aluminum frame gun made by anybody is around 10,000 rounds. Alloy frame lovers bitch and raise hell about these facts but thats their problem. Who cares if they know of an exception that has X number of rounds through it. Another thing the Sig lovers overlook is the frame cracking problems in the 226s, but thats another story.

I also had a Sig P220 turn into a rusty mess after I worked a wreck in a down pour and left it in a wet duty holster over a long weekend. Granted my fault but my stainless 1911s and Glocks have never rusted. Cops aren't known for babying their weapons. My facts did not come out of some gun rag but is information that I have picked up at Law Enforcement only Firearms Instructor schools and seminars. Buy what you like and can shoot best. I have found that LEOs shoot better with 1911s and Glocks due to the lack of a double action to single action transistion. Why handicap yourself with a double action semi auto, most have alloy frames, another good reason to stay away from them.

LEO Firearms Instructor/Glock Armorer/IALEFI

...7th

------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE, KEEP THEM INDEPENDENT.

[This message has been edited by 7th Fleet (edited April 20, 2000).]
Old April 20, 2000, 05:38 PM   #11
pojim

WOW-I've never seen such a contradiction in only one paragraph. You display utter ignorance and negligence in regards the general care of firearms made and then you strut your "unimpeachable" credentials. Did you ever stop to think that guns that aren't maintained/checked properly will not only rust, THEY WON'T WORK WHEN YOU NEED THEM. I'd rather have a Davis that's cared for than have a Glock or anything else that is in your armory!

Somebody better call the SEALs and tell them to get rid of their 226s NOW, if they are not already cracked and rusted. The statement about 10,000 rounds on a frame is not just wrong, it is flat out ridiculous.

Glocks and Sigs are both great guns. I personally find any Sig to be more ergonomic and accurate than its comparable Glock maodel. The grip angles on Glocks just don't work for me, but I have tremendous respect for the entire line.
Old April 20, 2000, 07:31 PM   #12
Tecolote

And it's not just Navy SEALs. The British army did the most thorough recent testing between the SIG Sauer P226 and Glock 17 and they opted for the P226. Yes, early SIG Sauers had problems with frame cracking. Name one company that has not had problems with designs? Early Glock 17s hang fired, the long list of Glock "upgrades," and recently the "faulty" guide rods for some runs of Glock 26/27s.

I don't doubt your P226 turned into a rusty mess. I can tell that I've put SIG Sauers through rain, sweat, mud, you name it and I've never had a problem with rust. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Bottom line, Glock 19s and SIG Sauer P229s are superb weapons. Carry what you handle best.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

[This message has been edited by Tecolote (edited April 20, 2000).]
Old April 20, 2000, 09:19 PM   #13
Russell92

yes as everyone agrees its really a toss up between them. they are both excellent guns and i still say just get the one that feels better in your hands.

Sigs are more accurate than glocks. by that i mean if you eliminate all human errors and put both guns in a rest and shoot them then the sig will make tighter groups. this is not by that much but they are made a bit more accuately. sigs are more accurate because they are designed to be. sigs have tighter tolerances on them between the parts and the fit is tight. that makes the gun more accurate, also sigs barrels are made by hammereli who make target pistols. my guess is that the barrels must be pretty accurate then. glocks are very accurate though. they were designed as combat weapons for the military and designed to work in all kinds of situations. therefore they have slightly looser tolerances and when the guns were being disigned they didn't care as much about accuracy as reliability.

i'm not saying either gun is not reliable or accurate though.

i personally like the feel of the 229 over the 228. the 229 has an extra ounce and a half of weight on its solid stainless steel slide. that for some reason makes it balance better in my hands FWIW.
Old April 20, 2000, 09:21 PM   #14
HiCap

My first 9mm was a G17. I liked it but had to sell it and later bought a Sig 226. I liked the feel, reliability, and SA accuracy of the Sig but hated the long DA first shot, and the fact that it would rust very easily even when properly cared for. Finally traded it for an L1A1 and have chosen a Glock 19 over Sig and all others to fill my 9mm needs.
Old April 20, 2000, 10:38 PM   #15
Gremlin

Is it just me or do other people feel like when they rack back the slide on a Glock, it feels like you're cocking a rubber band gun? And when you rack back the slide on a Sig, it feels like you're cocking a precision steel instrument designed for serious business...

Just my two cents. Hands down winner--Sig...

------------------
Triggers exist to be pulled... again and again.
Old April 21, 2000, 01:57 AM   #16
The Happy Camper

Must be just you. When I rack the slide of a Glock it gives me the warm fuzzies... I'm addicted I can tell.
Old April 21, 2000, 09:35 AM   #17
Ben

Both are Great guns. Of those two, I'd get the Sig 229 (in a different caliber). Most of the 229's are 40 caliber, with the .357 Sig being the next common, followed by 9mm. I'd later get a Glock 23C to accompany the lonely Sig should it Not get along with the Ruger and the Beretta.

Ben

------------------
Almost Online IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited April 21, 2000).]
Old April 21, 2000, 11:20 AM   #18
Rainbow Six

I get fuzzy tingles when I rack my Glocks. However, I tremble with pleasure when I rack my SIG's. I love both of them equally, I just love them differently. What a love triangle, huh?

------------------
R6...aka...Chris
Old April 21, 2000, 11:45 AM   #19
Greg G

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rainbow Six:
However, I tremble with pleasure when I rack my SIG's.
[/quote]

It's because they are as smooth as a school marm's thigh.
Old April 21, 2000, 12:28 PM   #20
Big Al

I can't say anything about Sigs, other than for me, they're two big and heavy for my taste. I bought a Glock 19 because it was simple, durable, light, and easy to work. I also liked the feel a lot better than the Sigs. Just personal opinion, mind you, but my preference is the Glock.

------------------
"Oh yeah? Well I talk LOOOUDLY! And I carry a BIIIGGER stick! And I'll use it, too." -Yoesemite Sam
Old April 21, 2000, 03:16 PM   #21
Rainbow Six

Good one Greg!

I guess it just depends on whether you want a sweet, smooth "school marm" or her ever so slightly rougher around the edges, but still high performance sis.

I have yet to be able to choose decisively between the two...So I keep both. SIG and GLOCK both produce some fine daughters!

------------------
R6...aka...Chris
Old April 21, 2000, 06:32 PM   #22
Futo Inu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russell92:
yes as everyone agrees its really a toss up between them. [/quote]

Russell, Anyone who posts this after reading the prior three posts is the quentissential optimist.
Old July 2, 2007, 11:31 PM   #23
MattXYZ

Yeh the 10,000 rd frame thing was pretty 'tarded. Even my friends with Glocks admit they envy my SIG. Glocks trigger is like a staple gun and the grip is like a 2X4 block or somethin-tee hee. SIG tested guns 200,000 rds. Glock isn't even in SIGs league Get-a Springfield XD if you want a polymer, not a Block!
Old July 3, 2007, 12:05 AM   #24
hamster

what i'd do:

go to the range and buy 200 rounds of ammo and rent both guns. shoot 100 through each and figure out which is best for you.
Old July 3, 2007, 10:29 AM   #25
Hallucinator

Both terrific pistols. I've owned both, and the 19 is flatter and easier to conceal.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.