The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 17, 2012, 07:10 PM   #1
redlevel42

Stoeger SXS

Trying to set up a Coach Gun for daughter's HD shotgun. Using Aguila buckshot loads. These are one inch, with 7 no 4 and 4 no. 1 pellets.
Picture of full one inch pine board at about 12-15 feet
Entry side

Exit side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355789335.109958.jpg (56.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355789391.602908.jpg (60.5 KB, 43 views)
Old December 17, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
redlevel42

The problem is that when using the reduced loads, and firing the right barrel first, the safety resets and must be taken off before the second (rear trigger, left barrel) barrel will fire. This doesn't happen when the left barrel is fired first. It also doesn't happen when full power shells are used. Is this something a good SASS gunsmith should be able to remedy? Also, the thumb piece spring is so strong it takes a major effort to break the gun open.

I am hoping to set up a sxs for her because the manual of arms is so much simpler. Also, theoretically anyhow, the sxs should be much more reliable with the short shells than either a pump or semi-auto.

I don't consider the lack of more rounds to be a realistic hindrance. She will back the shotgun up with her S&W revolver. The scenario is not one of house clearing, but a back to the wall, gun pointed at bedroom door after dialing 911 type deal.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:52 PM   #3
ohen cepel

I think I would go with std loads rather than messing with the reset built into the gun. Don't have to go with magnum stuff, but something strong enough to function.

It will open easier with time and use, probably just needs to wear in. They make them tight so they aren't too loose too soon.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old December 17, 2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Shotgun693

You can get a gunsmith to set the safety so that it is totally manual. You have to put the safety on and take it off. It's a common CAS modification. Get some valve grinding compound and smear it on the lug and work the action open and close a couple of hundred times. Now thoroughly clean it up, spray type carb clean works well, and relube. You can get a light Cowboy action job for $100 or so.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:24 PM   #5
redlevel42

I don't think this is a reset built into the gun. I believe it is a malfunction. The safety does reset when the gun is broken open, and I really don't mind that. I have hunted with sxs shotguns for 55 years, and a good bird hunter naturally slides the safety off as he brings the gun to shoulder after reloading. What is happening here is that the safety is resetting between firing the right barrel and the left barrel with the reduced power loads. Also, full power loads are not an option.

The safety doesn't have the positive "snick" when sliding on and off like my Parkers and Browning. Not even like my Stevens 311. I believe a good gunsmith could remedy this problem. I don't have the tools nor the skills to do this.

Shotgun693, I would box the gun up and send it tomorrow for a $100-$200 cowboy tune, with an emphasis on reliability. I'm really afraid the rest of the gun would wear out before that thumb piece spring weakens. I believe it is an extreme case of over engineering. Do you have any ideas about where to send it for such a tune?
Old December 18, 2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Shotgun693

Not in Georgia. Find your local Cowboy Action Shooting Club, there is one close I'll bet. They have contact phone numbers. They'll know a 'smith. Do not let them totally disconnect the safety, just convert to manual.
Old December 18, 2012, 10:10 PM   #7
redlevel42

Talked to a well known, well respected SASS type gunsmith last night. He said the fix is about a five minute job. I'll take him the shotgun and a Ruger Vaquero that needs some work shortly after New Years. It is about a 150 mile drive, and he says he tries to do the work the same day for out of town customers.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:39 AM   #8
bustersmaster

A few months ago, I decided the safety interlock business on my stoeger was a poor idea if you ever expect to use more than 2 rounds in a defensive situation. I put a few key words in my favorite search engine and came up with all the info needed for a DIY fix. It was amazingly simple and took about 10 minutes with a dremel tool.