The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 17, 2012, 02:17 AM   #1
Rem1187

Just got a Bersa thunder 380!! CCW options and best .380 carry ammo

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Nickel finish Bersa thunder 380 handgun as I plan to start carrying concealed as soon as my VA CHP gets processed.

I bought an uncle mikes "tuck and go" holster for my future ccw needs. Unfortunately, after fooling around with the gun and holster at home and placing the holster at different positions on my waist i cant help but feel that IWB carry will be rather uncomfortable : / It seems that the gun digs into my stomach each time I sit down.... Am I just doing something wrong/not used to carrying? If anyone has thoughts on how i can best concealed carry my Bersa I would appreciate input as I am new to the world of ccw.

Furthermore, any Bersa thunder owners have recommendations for a good HP cary load ?

Thanks a lot guys, Ill be taking the pistol to the range for the first time tmrw.
Old December 17, 2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Sparks1957

I carry my guns at a 3:30-4 o'clock position... much more comfortable.

I use Remington Golden Sabers myself, a proven SD round that is relatively inexpensive and easy to find, though a lot of folks will say to use a flat-nose bullet with .380

Also, don't use an ammonia-based solvent like Hoppe's #9 on that nickel plate... it will flake off
Old December 17, 2012, 08:17 AM   #3
qwiksdraw

The Theis holster I use for my BT380 works very well. It allows me to position the gun for both concealability and comfort.

As for ammo, my gun shoots anything I put in it so you probably won't have any problems finding something you like. For what it's worth, and inviting much debate, I do alternate in my mag between FMJ and JHP. Since my first shot would be in DA, I start with the FMJ.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:48 AM   #4
jimbob86

Quote:
Unfortunately, after fooling around with the gun and holster at home and placing the holster at different positions on my waist i cant help but feel that IWB carry will be rather uncomfortable : / It seems that the gun digs into my stomach each time I sit down.... Am I just doing something wrong/not used to carrying?
Two thoughts:

1- Stomach? I find IWB behind the hip (4-5 o'clock, with 12 being staight ahead) with a bit of forward cant to be the most comfortable, while still being concealable.

2-"It's supposed to be comforting, not comfortable."

I have an OWB made by a local guy that hides very well with a cover garment (shirt/vest/jacket)...

I don't Carry a Bersa (can't afford to feed a .380) ..... I have an EMP in 9mm (and handload for it). 9mm is generally 3-4 dollars cheaper/box than .380 ..... 3-4 dollars may not seem like much, but besides the fact that I don't like paying more for less, with no upside, at 2 boxes a month, 12 months a year ..... in less than 10 year, even an expensive 9mm pays for itself over a .380 .....

....as for handloading ..... almost nobody picks up 9mm, so once fired brass is free. .380 ...... not that many people shoot it often, so it is rare. I learned to handload with .45ACP and .270WIN ..... 9mm is bad enough in the fiddly bits department .....

http://nefirearm.com/
Old December 17, 2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Mark In Texas

I have the exact same gun. i am sitting right above it as its my car gun an often my car-to-carry gun. For a holster I have both a Fobus and a Galco. The Galco is very concealable - basically a form-fit Yaqui slide. The gun sets in it tight.

For ammo, I use Federal Hydro-Shok.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:02 AM   #6
JimPage

Sparks: "Also, don't use an ammonia-based solvent like Hoppe's #9 on that nickel plate... it will flake off"

WD40 will eventually take off the nickle, too. Don't use it on stainless steel or nickle plate.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old December 17, 2012, 09:21 AM   #7
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
I carry my guns at a 3:30-4 o'clock position... much more comfortable.

I use Remington Golden Sabers myself, a proven SD round that is relatively inexpensive and easy to find, though a lot of folks will say to use a flat-nose bullet with .380
^this

with the short grip, you aren't going to print having it at this position like you might with larger guns. i'm not familar with the tuck'n'go, but you are going to want a slight forward cant to the holster to draw from this position. the forward cant also keeps it from digging into your leg when you sit, and runs the handle up your hip instead of straight back (hides better). if the tuck'n'go doesn't have a cant, you might consider ubgholster.com's canute model. a good buddy of mine carried his bersa in this for years and loved it. their striker model is also nice.

the golden sabers and speer gold dots are going to be your best choice of ammo IMO for this gun. i like heavy gr in my light caliber guns, especially in short barrels. i believe the gold dots offer a heavy gr.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 17, 2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Rem1187

Thanks for the info guys!

What should I use to clean the gun if not hoppes #9? I definitely dont want to accidentally damage the gun.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:39 PM   #9
CCCLVII

I use the standard pressure Buffalo bore 100 grain 380 ammo. Its great stuff and feeds well in my Sig P238.

with the 380 I am in the flat nose crowd.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:42 PM   #10
qwiksdraw

...of course the term "comfort" should be taken in context.

(see #3)
Old December 17, 2012, 11:52 PM   #11
michael t

Don't use any cleaner with ammonia it can cause nickle to flake.

Don't mess with sights. People do then report the sight blade missing They are loctight from factory You breaK loctight and the will shoot loose. Bersa very accurate if shoot off 98% operator not pistol.

http://bersachat.com

You home for Bersa on the internet.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old December 18, 2012, 01:51 AM   #12
Ignition Override

Do any of you guys always tuck your shirts in when carrying, and manage to find an IWB comfortable with a gun such as the Polish P-64, FEG, typical single-stack Makarovs (the Russians made some double- .380s), PPK or Bersa Thunder?

The goal will be a first handgun, but carrying is not necessarily the objective.

After reading about twenty hours comparing these for selecting a first handgun, few people who tucks in shirts suggest that the IWB could be comfy with any of these.
I will buy one from this group, and it will probably be a Bulg. or Russian Mak. in 9x18, but am doubtful that I will decide to carry following a class this spring, other than in the car on long drives.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:06 AM   #13
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
Do any of you guys always tuck your shirts in when carrying, and manage to find an IWB comfortable with a gun such as the Polish P-64, FEG, typical single-stack Makarovs (the Russians made some double- .380s), PPK or Bersa Thunder?

The goal will be a first handgun, but carrying is not necessarily the objective.

After reading about twenty hours comparing these for selecting a first handgun, few people who tucks in shirts suggest that the IWB could be comfy with any of these.
I will buy one from this group, and it will probably be a Bulg. or Russian Mak. in 9x18, but am doubtful that I will decide to carry following a class this spring, other than in the car on long drives.
tucking in your shirt severely handicaps you in ability to hide the holster well and to access it when needed.

if you don't have any other option but to tuck in your shirt, look at some of the belly-band style holsters. i still recommend wearing them lower than your belly, and utilize your belt line to further retain the gun. i used to wear one in sob, just inside my belt line. the problem i ran into with that style holster is the safety factor. there is no rigid trigger cover. if you have a nice strong manual safety, you might be alright, but most of my carry guns are striker fire. the only gun i ever carried in mine was an hk p7, because it actually disconnects the firing mechanism when you aren't squeezing the grip (hard).

i've tried many of the "tuckable" holsters. none of them were comfortable. all of them creaked when i move around. and none of them concealed very well once the shirt was tucked in. most of them are designed to be worn on the hip. at the hip, the grip is your major source of printing. with a loose, untucked shirt, you can minimize this. by tucking in your shirt, you draw it tight around this area, further exposing you to printing.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 18, 2012, 08:58 AM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
Not me, but I have a cousin that carries a SIG250 Compact in a Crossbreed Supertuck. He carried for almost a year before anybody in his family (mom/dad/sibs- I'm sure his wife knew) knew, and that was because he told them...... wears polo shirts and khakis........

Quote:
tucking in your shirt severely handicaps you in ability to hide the holster well and to access it when needed.
...... does not hinder his presentation at all: the shirt is really tucked in behind the holster, and just a little bit of it over the gun and under the belt. Clearing the shirt is no slower than lifting a T-shirt or sweeping a cover garment out of the way.

http://nefirearm.com/