The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 15, 2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Polinese

Gen 2 Sig P250's

What's the opinion on these as far as reliability, accuracy etc. Have a chance to get one through work.

Seems like the Gen 1's had some teething problems but sounds like they've been fixed with the Gen 2's
Old December 15, 2012, 03:56 PM   #2
thedudeabides

I have owned 10 Sigs over my lifetime. I ****ing hate the P250s.

Crappy trigger, crappy QC, crappy fit... They are everything that's wrong with Sig today. They aren't a plastic gun maker and shouldn't be competing with
Glocks, HKs, and the like.

Want a plastic Sig? Get an SP2022, which would be the BEST plastic gun ever except it doesn't come in 45 ACP.
Old December 15, 2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Technosavant

The problems have been fixed.

I have 3 P250s. To answer thedudeabides' complaints:

Trigger- this is the biggest thing for people to get over. It's a good DAO trigger, but keep in mind that even a good DAO trigger is lacking compared to even a so-so single action trigger. The trigger pull is long but very consistent. The reset is long, but again- it's a hammer fired DAO. The pull is not that heavy... I don't have trigger gauges, but it is lighter than all of my revolvers. It is not a hard gun to shoot decently but it DOES take practice. People comparing it to striker fired guns will be disappointed. Those with a fair amount of revolver experience find they quite like it.

QC- Never had one problem with the three P250s I have, nor the three conversion kits either. The guns have been 100% with only a couple caveats, both ammo related- the subcompact 9mm seems to prefer 124gr and heavier ammo (the full size shoots 115 just fine, the SC has an occasional failure to feed) and the full size .45 doesn't like the bullet profile on the Winchester PDX1. When fed the ammo they like, they've been 100%.

Fit and finish- They're no Springfield Professional model, but then, neither are most guns. I have no complaints of the fit and finish of my P250s... they're no worse than any other gun in the sub-kilobuck price range. They're no worse than Glocks, which tend to cost more (for no more than the price of a Glock with plastic contrast sights, you can get a P250 with night sights), and the HK guns cost hundreds more. This isn't condemning with faint praise, even... the fact is that it is as well finished as I expect any plastic gun is likely to be, and it is no worse than anything else offered at a similar price.

Reliability- as I said, when you're feeding them the right ammo (with only those two aforementioned examples, mine have run perfectly), they work great.

The initial guns had some issues, but I really haven't read anything negative about them that can't be traced to the early models. The owners seem to like the guns just fine.

Some do point to the federal government having a trial where the P250 did not fare too well, but I have never once seen exactly what it was that was the problem.

IMO, Sig fixed whatever was wrong and the guns work just fine. If you are looking for a decent quality DAO pistol the P250 will suit you well. I will say that one should not think you will be swapping between conversion kits often; they are the kinds of things that can swap quickly and easily, but in practice I wouldn't make a habit of swapping back and forth all THAT often (the 2SUM pack seems to imply you can swap the fire control module back and forth between the full size and subcompact kits, maybe even doing so at night for the full size bedside, and in the morning for carry, but that's not a great idea). That's why I ended up with several of the things; it lets me keep a full size and a subcompact, but with kits for swapping if ammo availability for a given caliber gets tight.
Old December 16, 2012, 02:15 AM   #4
TennJed

Best DAO trigger I have ever shot. No issues. No FTFs oR FTEs. Very accurate. Love mine (45 compact)
Old December 16, 2012, 04:20 AM   #5
Polinese

I think I'm gonna be shelling out the cash for one even if its not a great pistol on account that they're having em all dolled up with our agency logo name etc. Figure even if I dont shoot it much it'll be cool to have one that was done up just for us.
Old December 16, 2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Technosavant

If you can learn the trigger, I suspect you will be very pleased with the pistol.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:19 AM   #7
wpsdlrg

I'll add my 2 cents.....though Technosavant pretty much covered it.

The P250 is a great SD pistol. All one has to do is learn the trigger. Not a tough job for a grown up, really. The Gen. 2 P250's tend to be dead reliable and are very well made. Mine has been flawless, through just about 900 rounds, so far. They also tend to be quite accurate - mine is VERY accurate, anyway. They are simple in operation, which is a plus for an SD gun. They are also simple to maintain. The modular FCG offers the advantage of a simple design, all contained in one unit, which makes for ridiculously easy maintenance and repair. There are TWO springs in the whole gun : one that operates the FCG unit, one recoil spring. The magazines, which are manufactured by Mec Gar in Italy, are very high quality and seldom give problems. Lastly, the P250 is available for a reasonable price, much more so than some of Sig Sauers's other offerings.

I would agree with Technosavant in that switching the FCG back and forth into different grip frames, regularly, is probably not a good idea (it would induce excess wear on the plastic frames and probably cause them to "get loose", in the end). But, the advantage of being able to customize the size of the pistol for one's like/ needs is a very good one.

Grip frames are available for less than $50, as well, so replacing one is cheap. I bought an extra, just for giggles. I have since removed the rail from my frames (I don't like rails) and painted them.

All in all, the P250 is a terrific pistol....for the modern world. Being plastic framed (tough, weather resistant and cheap) and simple in design and operation, pays dividends. I would not expect the P250 to be a do-all pistol. It probably is at a disadvantage as a purely target pistol, or for competition shooting. But, then, it wasn't designed for that, anyway. For SD and general shooting, it just works - and works well.

I should say that I am NOT a plastic pistol kind of guy. I do NOT like Glocks and many others of their ilk. The P250 is the only plastic pistol I own. But, I very much appreciate the unique qualities it has - and I carry it and shoot it often.

Last edited by wpsdlrg; December 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:12 AM   #8
jason_iowa

I love sigs. I would not buy a sig 250. Not only are they on their way out they are just not that great. To many great guns out there atm to spend your money on one that just is not.
Old December 17, 2012, 02:08 AM   #9
chaim

I have been searching for several categories of gun. I want another polymer pistol, sized between my small P290 and PF-9 and a full sized. Something in a larger compact or smaller full-size (something concealable but with service pistol accuracy and controlability). I also want a carry .45 that is either DA/SA or DAO. I have decided for sure that I want a P250 Compact in .40S&W, and I'm torn between the P250 Compact .45ACP or the SIG P220 Carry as my new .45ACP.

I have done a lot of research and it seems that the second gen P250's have addressed the issues of the 1st gen. The biggest issue is the trigger, it is a long but smooth DAO trigger pull. If you are used to SA or many striker fired pistols you may not like the long trigger. However, if you are used to DA revolvers, you should like it. I have a P290 which has an even heavier trigger than the P250s and I love the trigger.

I hope Jason is wrong that demand is so low that it will be discontinued. It appears to be a good (but underrated) pistol. It is inexpensive (for a SIG), it seems to be reliable, and it seems about perfect as a self-defense pistol. Plenty of holster makers have models for the P250 in all sizes. Hopefully, even if it does get discontinued, support won't dry up. Then again, plenty of guns that have had initial teething problems and subsequent early sales issues, have had their manufacturers continue to build them (4th gen Glock 9mm's, the SIGMA now SD_VE series from S&W, the SIG P238, the Ruger P345, and others) so hopefully the P250 will be one of the success stories on that list.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:03 AM   #10
wpsdlrg

"I hope Jason is wrong that demand is so low that it will be discontinued."

Jason is full of it. Sig sells LOTS of P250s. They are NOT discontinuing the model. Someone I know contacted Sig about this very issue, a short time ago. The rep laughed and said that he hears this garbage all the time. NOT true.

This is a standard "spoiler" statement, by "P250 haters". From what I have seen, they will say anything to discourage people from liking or buying one.

I don't understand the deep, almost pathological resentment that these guys have toward Sig Sauer, for trying something different. It seems that many of the haters are "traditionalists"....and Sig enthusiasts. They just can't seem to stand the fact that Sig builds anything but all-metal, traditional DA/SA pistols, like the P226. Perhaps they are afraid of the future - afraid that Sig Sauer may discontinue guns like the P226. I can't see that happening, because such pistols are Sig Sauer's "bread and butter" still. So, this attitude puzzles me.

The obvious answer is that they are under NO obligation to like the P250, let alone buy one. But, trying to "poison the waterhole" for everyone else, due to some wacked out complex they have about Sig Sauer....is simply the behavior of a TRUE a-hole. (Yes, I said it.....and I don't care if some don't like it. Those who do NOT fit into that category have no reason to be offended.)

I am an all-metal pistol guy myself. But, I am not so locked in to my preference for them that I cannot appreciate a gun like the P250 for what it is. The P250 will likely never be my "favorite". But, for what it is, I like it very much. There are lots of pistol designs that I don't care for - but I NEVER try to poison the waters about them. I wonder why others can't seem to do the same.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:27 AM   #11
sigarms228

I LOVE my SIGs and have more than a few DA/SA hammer fired ones including a 9MM SP2022.

For a while I thought I would never consider a P250 but that is changing.

Yes they had some problems at first but IMO in the last year or two the complaints about them have dropped to like ZERO on the SIGforum and lots of members that swore they would never buy one have purchased one and have very good things to say about them especially for the price they go for.

The compact 9MM is looking to be a possibility for me for CCW since Illinois may see CCW as a reality by this summer or sooner.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:02 AM   #12
Jay24bal

Love Mine

I have a compact 2nd generation 250 chambered in 40 S&W and it has been on my hip for 2 years now, I love it.

Everyone knows the modular features of the gun so I won't go into that.

As far as reliability, mine has been 99% effective. The only problem I have encountered is ammo related. I picked up a few boxes of Aquila to feed it at the range and it jammed once every mag with FTEs. Other than those 2 boxes of ammo, I have never experienced a single failure of any kind. I have run probably about 1500 rounds through mine composed of a ton of different ammos (PMC FMJ, WWB FMJ, Remington UMC FMJ, Blazer Brass FMJ, Hornady Critical Defense JHP, Winchester JHP, Golden Sabers) and not had a single issue other than noted above.

In terms of the trigger, yes it is a long DA pull. If you prefer striker fired guns or SA triggers, it may take you a while to get used to the 250. But for a DAO gun, it is great. I bought it for that exact reason; there is no external safety so the long DA pull IS the safety feature when used as a defensive carry gun.

I love mine and will continue to carry it for years to come as I see no need to stop doing so. IMO, it is the best $325 I have spent on any gun besides my 22lr rifle for the pure fun factor of cheap shooting at the range.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old December 17, 2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Texshooter

All I can give is my experience.

One day I went to the range & had some 9mm to shoot. I saw a P250, rented it, liked it.

I shoot it much, much better than any of the Glocks I have owned.

I grew up with wheelies, so DA is no issue to me. The P250 has a great DA pull. Very smooth.

I like the fact that I can change the size of the grip.

I love the sights. The work great for my eyesight.

I have a .45c (1250 rounds), a .40c (225 rounds), and 2 9mm (2325 rounds between both).

They eject brass where they are suppose to, not to your face.

None of mine have ever FTF, FTE.

I shoot them accurately.

I would be willing to bet that many critical of them have not shot them, much less owned one.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Noreaster

I believe they fixed any problems they were having. Going to competitions and training I have seen Sig staff using them w/o a problem and I've gotten the chance to use a couple and I had no issues. I'm also use to double action revolvers and the P250 was easy to use for me. I believe they are working on a striker fired model.

With the possibility of some type of firearm bill coming along I have a renewed interest in the P250. Basically you purchase one and the firing control system is the only registered part. You can switch frames and calibers with purchases through the mail which could be a big plus.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:06 PM   #15
zukiphile

I very much would like a full sized 250, and think the twosome idea is neat, but several people whose opinion I respect are sure they are terrible.

I might take the leap and just keep it a secret.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:23 PM   #16
Que

wpsdlrg, we heard the same exact "stuff" about the SIGPro line for years. Lots of crow has been served since. I see a lot of crow being prepared for the P250. I think that the P290 gets some of that fallout as well. While I have been shooting all metal SIGs since the middle Eighties I kept an open mind to polymer and am glad that I did. Along with my polymer 2022 and P290 I also own and shoot full sized P250 in 9mm and 45 and would put the P250 in 45 up against my P220 which I have always found to be an incredible pistol.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:36 PM   #17
lamarw

I have three of them or lets say 2 & 1/2 since I do not have the firing control unit for one. They are all either .45 or 9mm.

They are not my favorites so to speak, but two of them are my first choice for carry.

I do not mind banging up my P250's: which don't seem to mind or change after cleaning them. The banging does not seem to leave even a scratch or dent.

I can not say the same for other handguns I have and cherish more.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:22 PM   #18
Polinese

Glad to hear they are better. I'm definitely going to be buying one simply since its emblazened with our badge and all that jazz. They haven't said which model in particular, I would assume the full size or the compact. I think they're a couple months out so I'll let ya know when they finally come in.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:25 PM   #19
Mercenary

I love the way the P250 feels in the hand. If only they could make one that has different trigger. The DAO is great, but I would love to see one in a striker configuration or better yet DA/SA with their SRT kit
Old December 18, 2012, 09:18 PM   #20
wpsdlrg

" If only they could make one that has different trigger. The DAO is great, but I would love to see one in a striker configuration or better yet DA/SA with their SRT kit"

Not likely. The P250 modular FCG is designed for DAO operation....and can't be modified for DA/SA as is. The complexity of a self-contained FCG that operates in DA/SA would probably kill the idea, from the start. Anyway, then it wouldn't be a P250....it would be something else.

Changing to a striker-fired configuration probably wouldn't be too great an engineering challenge, but would offer NO advantages. So, I don't see the point for that.

Simplicity of design, with only one spring in the FCG, is one of the central points of the P250. Trying to change to DA/SA, or something else, completely violates that concept.... and more or less ruins the design.

Bottom line - if the P250 and it's trigger design is not someone's "cup of tea" as it is...then best to choose something else.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:01 PM   #21
PA Rockbouncer

I own the 250c with the Sig laser sight (which i only really use during dry fire practice). I bought it to become a more accurate shooter, and to become better with my trigger control. It holds more than a revolver so at the range I can practice shooting more than reloading. I really like the gun, a lot more than I expected based on a lot of reviews and bashing (just like some of the posts on this thread) that I read prior to purchase. I have fed it a lot of rounds of various brands of whatever ammo is cheapest. I also feed it lead remanufactured rounds at my indoor range. Lots of practice, not one failure. Accuracy is very good (that is as long as I am staying focused and relaxed), and the gun is so easy to break down and clean. The trigger is what makes the gun more of challenge than say a Glock or an M&P, which is also why I like to shoot pistols in the first place. When it comes time to practice with my EDC or my home defender it is to the point where to make it challenging I need either distance or moving targets. The 250c is a very, very nice gun. Relatively inexpensive ($400 new), super reliable (for me), easy to clean, and just plain fun to shoot.
Old December 20, 2012, 03:51 PM   #22
Fishbed77

Quote:
Crappy trigger, crappy QC, crappy fit... They are everything that's wrong with Sig today. They aren't a plastic gun maker and shouldn't be competing with
Glocks, HKs, and the like.
All I can say is that their polymer SP2022 is a dang fine handgun. Honesty, with the SP2022 priced at $350-$400, I'm not sure why anyone would even consider the P250 (unless they just can't live with a DA/SA trigger under any condidtion - which I don't think is a valid reason).
Old December 20, 2012, 05:23 PM   #23
thedudeabides

Quote:
All I can say is that their polymer SP2022 is a dang fine handgun. Honesty, with the SP2022 priced at $350-$400, I'm not sure why anyone would even consider the P250 (unless they just can't live with a DA/SA trigger under any condidtion - which I don't think is a valid reason).
I would buy an SP2022 chambered in 45 ACP--if they made one. Why Sig wants to mess with success and re-invent the polymer handgun is a mystery.

The SP2022 is one of the BEST polymer guns made, EVER.

Also super cheap.
Old December 20, 2012, 06:02 PM   #24
weldonjr2001

I recently bought a P250SC .40. I'm very happy with it, and rotate it with my G27, M&Pc .40, and PX4SCs in .40 and 9mm.

Any way to easily tell the difference between 1st gen and 2nd gen if there really is such a thing?
Old December 20, 2012, 06:39 PM   #25
Mercenary

IIRC, the Gen 2's have steel guide rods and the grip is textured slighly different.