The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2012, 11:05 PM   #1
tollys103079

6mm Remington New Load

Ok so I have been reloading a few things lately and having a great time. My .223 is shooting great and loving the reloads in the .45 acp, but now I want to dial in my Dad's 6mm, a remington 742 woodsmaster. I cannot find the barrel twist but something in the back of my head is telling me 1:9, but I cannot seem to confirm that.

Anyway I am wanting to reload some heavier loads then my .223 for a longer range gun, last thing I shot out of it was an 80 grain speer my uncle and I loaded for it. It worked ok killed a couple of coyotes but I want it to reach out and touch something when I need it. Maybe prairie dogs someday soon.

Anyone have any thoughts on loads, bullets or anything specific for it. Any details on it would be great, I know it is probably not a great old gun, but my brother has the one that was bought on the exact same day by my grandfather and they both have some value to us. I would love to get it dialed in with a great coyote / prairie dog load and a match load so I can show up my buddies on the 200 yard range. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old December 20, 2012, 04:17 AM   #2
Nevmavrick

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for here. Did you want a recomendation for the .223?
A 55 or 60 gr hollowpoint should do well out at 200 yds, and you'll be able to shoot along with your buds. The load will depend on what rifle and sights you've got.
Or...are you asking about the 6mm? Almost anything you would use safely in a bolt-gun would work in the M742. Don't ask about accuracy, tho'. That's not a word used in conjuntion with the Woodsmaster. lol
Have fun,
Gene
Old December 20, 2012, 07:06 AM   #3
darkroommike

6mm Remington

If the barrel is marked 6mm Remington it's 1:9 and should take heavier bullets OK, if the barrel is marked .244 Remington is has the less desirable 1:12 and might do poorly with heavier bullets. It's the same cartridge, it was renamed after the earlier .244 got a bad rep for inaccuracy with heavier bullets.

Your 742 should be a sweet little shooter in this caliber.

(Got this off Wikipedia after I Googled 6mm Remington, it's something I sorta knew from reading about it but I wasn't going upstairs to the library this morning to confirm it.)
Old December 20, 2012, 03:27 PM   #4
tollys103079

I am looking for a load for the 6mm, I have previously loaded 80 grain speer bullets

I have the .223 shooting 55 grain v max with 25.3 grains of varget. It shoots great with that load. I want to get a heavier load for it eventually, but dont need it right now unless I find a good all around heavier load.

Right now I just want a good shooting load in the 6mm. It is stamped 6mm so I presume it has the 1:9 twist so I am going to look for a 80 grain or close to it. I am out of the 80 grain speers and before buying anymore I was looking for other suggestions.
Old December 20, 2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Rangefinder

Your milage may vary, but for "reaching out", my Remi 6mm is my go-to for 1000M shooting. I use 90gr Sierra FMJ/BT, and H380 to drive them. They do reach very well, and have an amazing amount of energy at such a distance.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old December 21, 2012, 11:55 AM   #6
tollys103079

Thanks Rangefinder, I was thinking something in the 80-90 grain I just wasnt sure if 90 was to heavy for my 1:9 twist barrel. I will take a look at them maybe load some up over christmas and give them a shot.
As for 1000m that is a bit far for that I am just hoping for 300-500 yards at least until I get things figured out.
Old December 21, 2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Guv

Your 1:9 should stabilize a 100 gr boattail if you wanted that.

Tags
6mm , bullet 80 grain , reload