The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 11, 2012, 07:50 PM   #1
mitranoc

Found the perfect optic combo (at least for me)

After trying out a friend's new set up - I'm hooked.

The Trijicon ACOG 4x32 TA01 with The Trijicon RMR 3.25 MOA on top of it. It's the best of both worlds, a TRUE 1x (RMR), with a 4X that is really impressive.

Also, one of the guys at the gun shop had one of his AR's there with an Accupoint on it. Knowing I'm in the market to buy, he let me try it out. Very nice, but the chevron sight is not for me.

Affording it is the big question??

Last edited by mitranoc; December 11, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:28 PM   #2
arizona98tj

While I like the ACOG (I have one on my M&P15), I don't like the piggy back RMR. I've worked with my buddy to get his sighted in. The abnormally high offset from the bore makes for some interesting hold overs (and unders). I tried to give his an honest evaluation during some serious range drills and simply couldn't find anything I liked about it....and more so....there was nothing he could do with it that I could not do equally well, if not better, with mine. At the training courses where I've used mine, course of fire was close contact out to 400 yds, including hostage taker headshots at 5~7 yds. The ACOG, by itself, managed all of it just fine. FWIW, save your money and skip the RMR option.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:45 PM   #3
mitranoc

Quote:
FWIW, save your money and skip the RMR option.
Good to know. It's more the scope that I'm interested in. Larue has the scope and QD mount for $1,003.

But I still haven't had an opportunity to try an Accupoint with the German #4 crosshair.

Last edited by mitranoc; December 11, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:50 AM   #4
allaroundhunter

If you like having the red dot as a back-up, then skip mounting it on top of the ACOG, offset it at 30 or 45 degrees. That way you don't have to pull your head off of the stock to use it, just cant the rifle slightly.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:22 AM   #5
mitranoc

That is definitely worth considering as well. Larue has the Accupoint for almost the same price as the 4x ACOG. Maybe it would be worth my while to consider the Accupoint, giving me the 1-4x flexibilty.

Never realized that it would be so difficult picking out an optic!
Old December 12, 2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Eghad

When I use a reflex sight on top of a scope I move my chin up on the stock and everything works fine. The purpose of the reflex sight is for close quarters not distance shooting.

NRA Life Member
Old December 12, 2012, 11:33 AM   #7
mitranoc

Quote:
When I use a reflex sight on top of a scope I move my chin up on the stock and everything works fine. The purpose of the reflex sight is for close quarters not distance shooting.
So cheekweld-wise, would it be of similar height as a lower 1/3 cowitness mount?
Old December 12, 2012, 12:39 PM   #8
allaroundhunter

Quote:
So cheekweld-wise, would it be of similar height as a lower 1/3 cowitness mount?
Not for me....it is much higher than a lower 1/3 cowitness.

Having a red dot as a back up means you will use it for quick, close shots. That means that having to move your head will take more time, and having to change your cheek weld will not help. That is why having it offset helps a lot. Your cheek weld stays the same, you just turn the rifle slightly (which is faster than having to move your head to find the red dot on top of a scope).
Old December 12, 2012, 03:38 PM   #9
ronl

I simply went with a 1-4x24(Horus Vision), and I really like that setup. Since it is a FFP scope, on 1x the H-50 reticle practically disappears, and you have a precise aiming point inside the circle(you can illuminate it if you wish). Simple twist of a knob and the reticle comes into view and you can use the reticle for windage/elevation without turning knobs and make longer distance shots. The setup seems to work as well as my EOtech and gives me the ability to reach out. No change of cheek welds and such.
Old December 12, 2012, 04:16 PM   #10
Eghad

It is higher than a 1/3 or co witness sight plane I am resting the right side of my chin on the stock.

NRA Life Member
Old December 12, 2012, 06:15 PM   #11
mitranoc

Quote:
The purpose of the reflex sight is for close quarters not distance shooting.
Understood. I'd like to keep a consistent cheekweld if possible. I tried a lower 1/3 with an Aimpoint, but it just never felt natural to me.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:50 PM   #12
arizona98tj

Quote:
If you like having the red dot as a back-up, then skip mounting it on top of the ACOG, offset it at 30 or 45 degrees. That way you don't have to pull your head off of the stock to use it, just cant the rifle slightly.
Been there, done that....shot one training course with it....took it back off.

Old December 12, 2012, 10:04 PM   #13
arizona98tj

Quote:
The ACOG was designed for anything from close contact out to the effective range of the 5.56 NATO cartridge. I'm sure you are aware of the fact that one can (should??) shoot the ACOG with both eyes open, right? (Bindon Aiming Concept -- BAC) You don't need a reflex sight for close quarters work....the ACOG, with its illuminated retcile, fills the function of a red dot type optic and gives you a magnified optic while doing so.

I tried the chin-weld method on my buddy's setup....it is bad form, indeed, in my opinion. As I mentioned in an earlier post, there is nothing by buddy could do with his ACOG/RMR combo that I couldn't do with just my ACOG.

If one enjoys bobbing up and down between the two optics....that is fine. Being different helps make the world go round.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:40 AM   #14
mitranoc

Quote:
I'm sure you are aware of the fact that one can (should??) shoot the ACOG with both eyes open, right?
Affirmative.

So with the price of the Accupoint 1-4x and 4x32 ACOG being so close, what's the most bang for the buck between the two?