The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2012, 06:35 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

Just to clarify what the 265 gr (InterLock) FP is:
It was designed for use in .444 Marlin, and is an extremely popular bullet. It performs fantastically.
It is .430" diameter, because most .444s have over-sized bores.
Its expansion velocity window is 1,500-2,200 fps.
Although you're unlikely to hit that velocity from a .44 Mag Redhawk, it isn't impossible.

And, as a couple members pointed out, Hornady does have .44 Mag data for the 265 FP. (Through the Hornady 6th, 7th, and 8th editions, the Vihtavuori data has not changed. - I don't know about the new, 9th edition.)

The 265 gr FTX will expand at lower velocity (1,300) than the 265 FP, but there is no published data. You have to start with the 265 FP data and work backward, compensating for any loss of case capacity (and/or cut the gummy tips off).

The 265 FTX is a fairly fragile bullet (at rifle velocities), while the 265 FP is a fairly tough bullet (up to 2,500 fps).
Although I enjoy using both in .444 Marlin, I wouldn't bother with them in .44 Mag.
...There are plenty of jacketed 240 gr, 250+ gr, and (if you want) 300 gr bullets, and all kinds of cast bullets, that are better suited to .44 Mag.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:40 AM   #27
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
The 265 FTX is a fairly fragile bullet (at rifle velocities), while the 265 FP is a fairly tough bullet (up to 2,500 fps).
Although I enjoy using both in .444 Marlin, I wouldn't bother with them in .44 Mag.
When I first started looking into this "woods" load, I asked what weight bullet to go for. 300gr was the most popular answer, given that brown bear and elk are the biggest animals around.

Try as I might, the only 300gr bullets I can get locally are a plated lead truncated cone from H&N Sport. That is too soft for the intended use. Then there is a SJSP from PRVI that will not have the same penetration as an FMJ. So neither is ideal.

In fact most people were praising the virtues of cast bullets because they are hard, and don't expand but just keep going through bone etc. Bought or home cast.
Home casting: not something I'm ready for: Space, finding raw materials etc

So now I have found a 265gr bullet that is a FP for good permanent cavity, heavier than my 240gr FMJFPs, and won't expand much at revolver velocities giving it cast-esque properties there.

Seems like th perfect load, given my limitiations!

Quote:
...There are plenty of jacketed 240 gr, 250+ gr, and (if you want) 300 gr bullets, and all kinds of cast bullets, that are better suited to .44 Mag.
True, but I can't get hold of them. If I were to order from Midway Germany, for example I would have to get am import licence, and for that I would need a retail licence. Not realistic, just to get about 200 bullets.
Old December 14, 2012, 04:35 PM   #28
FrankenMauser

If you want penetration, over expansion, the 265 FP will give it to you.
Old December 15, 2012, 05:47 AM   #29
Mike / Tx

Quote:
One cylinder full is what I call a shooting 'session' with these because they are so tiring and punishing to shoot.
Out of the countless loads I have run through my Redhawk, in felt recoil terms, the top end 180gr loads and the top end 240gr loads always seemed to be a notch and a half above the 300's I have shot in sting factor. The 300's at around 1200fps always just seemed to have more of a push to them than the intant snap and sting like the lighter loads have.

Then again when I touch off my home cast 300gr GC RFN's in my 454 bumping along in the mid 1600fps range they will get your attention right from the get go, no doubts what so ever you touched one off.

Of course recoil is somewhat subject to individual perception as well. I shoot with plenty of folks who think anything more than their .357 is simply a beast, when in fact they are usually getting more felt recoil from their lighter revolvers than I am shooting a bigger heavier one with a heavier bullet.

You might find something similar when you start working with your heavier loads as well. Also a good set of grips that actually fit will help reduce the felt recoil as well.
Old December 15, 2012, 05:09 PM   #30
sc928porsche

Nosler makes a 300 gr for 44. At a good price too.
Old December 16, 2012, 11:38 PM   #31
GP100man

Can ya cast your own over there ???

If ya can Lee makes as good a 300+ gr mold as they come ,gas checked, rnfp & 2 crimpin grooves .

I call it the 2 holer , 1 in &1 out !! never recovered 1 from game , deer mostly .
Old December 16, 2012, 11:44 PM   #32
reloader28

^^^^^ Thats my grizzly boolit. Hits like a sledgehammer.

My brother shot his deer with the 45 cal version at 250yds. Same thing. In and out and down she went. Instadrop.
Old December 17, 2012, 06:03 AM   #33
FrankenMauser

GP and reloader - He has said, quite a few times, that casting isn't an option right now.

With his current set up (unheated shed away from the house in sub-zero temperatures), I wouldn't want to, either.

As far as the Lee 430-310-RF...
It isn't a bad bullet. With the right alloy, it would be nearly ideal.
I load it in .44 Mag (.430") and .444 Marlin (.432").

But... Lee just changed their mold design. The new design appears to be far superior. So, if I were to recommend some one start casting that bullet, I would tell them to at least wait long enough to ensure all old-stock is sold off, so they'd get one of the new molds.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:09 PM   #34
GP100man

Yep , Lee`s got the 2 holers with real alignment pins now !!!

Much GOODER !!
Old December 18, 2012, 01:34 AM   #35
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Much GOODER !!
Old December 18, 2012, 07:14 AM   #36
Salmoneye

I purposely went to the Hornady 265gr FP in my .44 Mags after I saw what I considered very poor performance from Winchester White Box on a small Black Bear...

I use the same load in my SBH and 1894...The SBH is 1325fps, and the 1894 is at about 1650fps or so...Both are very accurate...The SBH is 'managable', but not as a plinking round...

I want penetration and bone smashing power, and this bullet delivers that for me...

IMNSHO

Small deer?...Stick to the 240's and don't hit bone...

Possible bear encounters?...Hard pressed to find a better commercial component bullet to fit a .44 Mag...
Old January 7, 2013, 08:10 AM   #37
jj320

buffalo bore

buffalo bore has hard cast loaded rounds . check there website https://www.buffalobore.com/
Old January 7, 2013, 04:01 PM   #38
FrankenMauser

Quote:
buffalo bore has hard cast loaded rounds . check there website https://www.buffalobore.com/
Pond lives in Estonia.
Many things we have easy access to (like BB ammo), are quite difficult, or impossible, for him to get his hands on.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:10 PM   #39
Edward429451

If you can get your hands on one, the Lyman 300 gr SWC-GC mould is easy to cast and a ferocious boolit. When loaded you can't hardly tell the difference between it and Lymans 245 gr SWC Keith bullet as it has the same nose and OAL.