The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2013, 04:21 PM   #1
teleshooter

Did I get lucky or not?

Hey guys I found a local gunstore in my area that has primers and AR mags. I was estatic. Now that I'm home looking at my receipt I'm not so sure. Here's how it broke down:
Federal Small rifle primers 34.50/1000
Federal Match small pistol primers 52.50/1000
PMAGs 30 rds 40.00 each

How did I do considering the times?
Old January 4, 2013, 04:28 PM   #2
schmellba99

Considering the times, probably about average.

Considering what they are, you paid too much. But apparently you were willing to pay what they asked, so capitalism is still working fine. And that's a good thing at least.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

Price for the primers is a fair price for off the shelf. For the gun stores around here that is below bargain basement price. They get 50 per thousand for standard. Match or Bench Rest cost even more.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:36 PM   #4
jimbob86

The small rifle primers are what I'm used to paying at Cabela's, pre-panic days.

Dunno 'bout match primers, never even looked at 'em.

$40 seems mighty steep for a plastic magazine that I paid $14 for in November...... if you REALLY need it..... buy it. I don't need them that badly.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old January 4, 2013, 04:36 PM   #5
STW

My niece's husband sold a 3-pack of pmags on gunbroker for $265. Compared to that you got them at less than half price.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:37 PM   #6
hounddawg

our local shop is selling primers for about the same price, they had a pretty good supply of all sizes except small pistol earlier today. I guess depending on what Congress does or more likely fails to do the Pmags might be able to be sold for a decent profit now but I would hold on to them and see what happens. I have a few that I have no use for but so far just watching them appreciate.

what I found amusing is that .22 LRs seem to be sold out everywhere online but the local sporting goods store had probably 100K on the shelf, no exaggeration. All CCI's though no other brands. Since I am shooting steel challenge rimfire this year I have been going through a ton of em so I picked up 2K of CCI's standards for 30 bucks a thousand.

Last edited by hounddawg; January 4, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:12 AM   #7
deepforks

i just paid $3.19/100 of federal small pistol primers at my local sportsman warehouse. grabbed the last 500 they had. a lot of the bigger sporting goods stores have certain days they get get their shipments. find out what days they are and try to be there. sometimes it'll pay off and sometimes it won't. or, wait for the craze to settle
Old January 6, 2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

Not luck

Your place of birth is a matter of luck. All else is good shopping.

Congratulations.

Lost Sheep
Old January 7, 2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Sport45

I don't think I'd use the Federal SR primers and the PMAG's with the same rifle. Other than that I think the price you paid is just what it is for shopping retail.