The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 3, 2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

No Ruger "new" Vaquero 357's with birdshead grips ???

I built a custom birdshead 45 Colt Montado snubbie a while back, & have a consecutive pair of 45 Colt Montados I use for CAS... I have a pair of 32 H&R mag Single Six's for MRS to use... on my single action rack, I have the space for a pair of 357's, & been thinking about a pair, so the levergun, & revolvers would use the same cartridge... was thinking a pair with birdshead grips would be nice, since they would be used almost exclusively for CAS with 38 specials... was suprised at all the Vaqueros listed on Gun Broker, but not one in 357, with birdshead grips ??? Did Ruger never make one in that format ??? can't imagine it would be worse to shoot than the 45's, especially with the 38's in the cylinder

anyone ever put one together ???
Old January 5, 2013, 01:06 PM   #2
therealtwitch

I have wanted the exact same thing for the exact same reason for some time now and haven't seen one either. I would love to have them
Old January 5, 2013, 02:31 PM   #3
L_Killkenny

Whether they've offered them or not I can't answer but I don't recall ever seeing a factory birdshead in anything but .32H&R and .22lr.
Old January 5, 2013, 02:41 PM   #4
chewie146

If you want one that bad, buy a vaquero and buy the grip frame. I'm sure they'll be available before too long. You can buy the frames for the single six.
Old January 5, 2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Crunchy Frog

The only ones I've seen are Lipsey's exclusives, with short tubes, lowered hammer spurs and are chambered in .45 ACP or .45 Colt. Here is a link: http://www.lipseys.com/itemfinder.as...ero+Birds+Head

I have .357 SASS Edition New Vaqueros. My wife is sharing them for now but eventually will want her own revolvers. I'd like to get her a pair of .38-.357 revolvers with a birds head grip frame but Ruger is not making what I want.

The Cimarron (Pietta) Thunderball is similar but they are difficult to find.