The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 29, 2012, 09:04 PM   #76
mordis

Edit to add, i didnt realize i posted earlier in this thread. Oh well, i still stand by what i said then and now.

Why does this question get repeatedly asked? The search button would reveal that the one piece of advice that would answere this question. Honestly its the only answere he needs.

You wont get her anything... She will get it her self, what ever gun FITS HER BEST NOT WHAT YOU WANT HER TO HAVE. Seriously if it is uncomfortable for her, she cant retract the slide, reach various levers(one reason the 1911 is not my first or second choice, i cant reach the slide stop, im a guy with smallish hands) or the recoil is to fierce for her.

Seriously, men cant buy clothing or anything else that goes on a females body correctly. Why should firearms be any different? What fits us, does not necessarily fit them the same way. Our needs are different then theirs.

Im sorry if this is combative, but its the truth. Just give her the book Pax wrote, have her Ready Pax's website(cornered cat) and then send her with a few grand of money to the LGS and let her pick out the gun with out your imput or involvment. Then when your done doing that, send her to pax and let a qualified female train another female. Then you will have a shooting partner that is comfortable with what she has. Not someone with a piece of uncomfortable hardware she cant stand to pick up muchless carry.

Now if she asks for your opinion then fine give it. I have made general suggestions to my wife. Such as snubbies are good to carry but have harsher recoil and are harder to shoot for any period of time. I just try to give her general info about the various categories of handguns and there pro's and cons.

When the time is right ill let her decide for her self.

NONSTANDARD DISCLAIMER. IF I sound combative, im sorry. My filter is off, due to consumption of a quantity of PBR.