The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 9, 2012, 04:04 AM   #1
'88Scrat

Bear Corrosive Ammo?

I know I'm gonna get some flak for not having looked to hard at past threads but I just need a straight up answer.

Is any kind of Russian Bear ammo corrosive?

I ask because a while ago I took out my 91/30 and had a blast (pun intended) on the range with it. I took it home and cleaned it like I would as if I had not used corrosive ammo. At the time I was about 99% sure that the Bear ammo I fed to it was not corrosive (the stuff in the teal colored boxes) but the more I think about it the more worried I become. This worry was partically fueled by seing some corrosive ammo at a recent show that looked EXACTLY like the Bear ammo I used. I am currently about 250 miles away from my Mosin and have no way to clean it so...

Should I be worried?

On a side note I put this thread here in General Discussion because I was not sure where to put an ammo related question, which struck me as almost absurd but it happened.
Old December 9, 2012, 05:21 AM   #2
North East Redneck

As far as I know, the Russian Brown Bear is NOT corrosive.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:41 AM   #3
darkroommike

I think if I had any doubts I would treat it like corrosive or test it. You can Google for details but essentially you pull the bullet, dump the powder and fire the blank you made at a mild steel plate and wait. Peace of mind in this case is simple, treat all former Com-Bloc ammo as corrosive and clean accordingly.

A while back I saw a lot of ammo for sale in Shotgun News listed as "slightly" corrosive, in my book slightly corrosive is the same as slightly pregnant. We all know the outcome.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:20 PM   #4
5.56RifleGuy

None of the bear ammo I have ever shot has been corrosive.
Old December 9, 2012, 06:02 PM   #5
'88Scrat

Good deal, I'll be able to sleep tonight know that my Mosin is (probably) not rusting away from the inside out.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:27 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

Get your sleep, but when you get back home, check it and clean it. The East German ammo that was common about 20 years back was stated as non-corrosive, but that was not true.

All you need is some Windex and boiling water.