The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 30, 2013, 04:23 PM   #1
BusterValentine

Just bought my first 1911!

YAY ME! It's a Taurus PT1911AR in 38 super and i'm totally stoked!

I didn't take this picture but this gun is identical to the one I just bought.

Old March 30, 2013, 04:32 PM   #2
DeadEye1911

Congrats on the 1911

I guarantee it won't be your last 1911 either. Good choice with the Taurus, some folks nock them, but the new generations are flawless, and they give a lifetime warranty. Check out Rock Island Armory 1911s too, I have the full size and just got the compact. Both are great and more affordable, also with a lifetime warranty.
Old March 30, 2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Daytona TTA

I'll second that notion....1911's are like potato chips,,,,you can never have just one. It is an addiction for which there is no cure, except to get another. It eases the pain for the 1st one because if not,, your new 1911 will spend a very lonely life. She needs brothers and sisters and you NEED to provide.
Old March 30, 2013, 07:16 PM   #4
DeadEye1911

After I bought my last one I said to myself verbally and seriously, "Now that's the last one!" ... Then bursted out laughing a few seconds later and said, "Yeah Right..lol" Honestly though, it's an expensive addiction, but on the bright side, it's not an addiction that'll kill me, and it might just save my life.
Old March 30, 2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Joe_Pike

I've seriously toyed with getting a 1911 in .38 Super. Have fun.

On a side note, three years ago I passed up a 1949 Colt in .38 Super. Price was $829. It sat there for three weeks before anyone bought it. I passed it up because I picked up a 1974 Colt Series 70 1911 in .45acp for $679 that the same guy had brought in. I still kick myself for not picking up that Super.
Old March 30, 2013, 07:57 PM   #6
SauerGrapes

Good for you! I sure hope your handloading......

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 31, 2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Constantine

Just bought my first 1911!

Lol enjoy buddy! That thing will get looks at the range! I'm happy for your. They're addicting. Shoot safe and have fun. Let us know how she shoots.
Old March 31, 2013, 10:46 AM   #8
BusterValentine

Thanks for all the positive input guys (and maybe girls) This is my 2nd gun. I actually got it at the same LGS I got my first gun (M&P9) a few months ago. I remembered it, went back in a looked at it about a month ago, and after a disappointing gun show yesterday I could no longer resist the temptation

I am hand-loading, which is probably the main reason I went with the .38 super instead of .45. You can load everything from super powder-puff loads that anyone can shoot, especially in such a heavy gun, to serious barn burner +p's with more muzzle energy than a .45 acp. Plus, I have a serious weakness for over-the-top bling.

There isn't a lot of info about this particular model so I think I'll run it for a few weeks and write up a review.