The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2012, 11:28 AM   #26
Chainsawjames

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a .410 shotgun. If you had to defend your home with one, I'm sure the person on the other end would be injured severely. Especially at the close range in a home. Nothing wrong with a .410.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:29 AM   #27
seeker_two

Hogdogs: Reading posts #3 & #8 seem to hint toward the ineffectiveness of the .410. And posts from other contributors here and in the other thread infer that using a .410, even with buckshot, is tantamount to using a .25acp. I think your three experts (Newton, mass, & math) would disagree.

I'm also confused as to how a 20ga using #3 shot is so vastly superior to a .410 using 000 buckshot. Does the #3 shot somehow penetrate deeper? I'd really like to know....
Old December 8, 2012, 11:38 AM   #28
Pfletch83

@ Hogdogs

Wouldn't you say though that due to your own use of the .410 it made you a better shot with other gauges later on due to the lessons learned with that bolt action scattergun?
Old December 8, 2012, 11:59 AM   #29
45_auto

Quote:
I make the argument the .410 is a supior home defense shotgun to the 12 gauge and i woullike to share why
Can't argue with you. Your well-researched () reasoning that the .410 has

1) equal power
2) less recoil
3) more pellets are not better

is why the police and military use .410's when they have to stop people.

(Oops, they use 12 gauges. Guess they'e just not as smart as you. Of course, you could do some additional research and try to discover WHY the other 99% of the world disagrees with you.)

I very seriously doubt if anyone would disagree with you if you claimed that a .410 was a viable home defense weapon (so is a .22), but to claim that it's superior to a 12 gauge and be wrong on 2 out of 3 of your reasons is pretty laughable.

Last edited by 45_auto; December 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old December 8, 2012, 12:00 PM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Seeker, I do not try to claim the .410 to be "ineffective"... I do try to simply point out the potential to be less than effective is higher than a gun with a much larger payload of equal size pellets...

Pfletch, Certainly, I give that gun most of the credit for my current abilities with not only the shotgun but all guns in general...

And the best part... This kid who bucked formal training in anything... I never knew how much I was actually learning until looking back as an adult...

Them ol' cajun rabbit doggers with their sweet looking shiny wingmasters and auto loaders both braggin' up my shooting as well as some whining (literally) that I was shooting all the dang rabbits was my first hint that I was actually a decent shooter...

Not to mention, I also was a better woodsman and hunter and could setup in their woods in a premium spot to get the rabbit before it ever got pushed to their party...

Brent
Old December 8, 2012, 03:33 PM   #31
Pfletch83

To the O.P.

I wouldn't use the PDX-1 stuff personally.

Give the federal 3-inch #4 Buck a try.

As I have stated in my thread it gives a good pattern out of a full choke,and will do fine at close range without AS MUCH of an over punch worry.

*Notice I said AS MUCH*
Old December 8, 2012, 03:35 PM   #32
WV_gunner

I too use a Circuit Judge for home defense. A small easy to move around with package is what I'm after. It has an 18 1/2 inch barrel and a pistol grip style stock. It's very easy to move around with this gun, I even took mine deer hunting this year. The sights are great and the overall feel of the gun is unmatched. It's also extremely light. I absolutely love this gun.
I was using 3 inch 000 in mine for home defense, but currently it's loaded with LeveRevolution .45 Colts.
For what it's worth, I also use an o/u 12 gauge with 3 inch #4, Winchester turkey loads.
Next idea is to use my Rifled Mossberg with mini slugs. Or maybe just Sabot Remington hollow points. They do incredible damage.
Old December 8, 2012, 03:50 PM   #33
Shotgun693

I've actually shot people with shotguns, not that it seems to matter much to some folks here. You stick to that .410 and under ideal conditions it might work just fine. I've never shot anyone under ideal conditions so I'll stick to a 12 ga.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:53 PM   #34
SHR970

Quote:
I make the argument the .410 is a supior home defense shotgun to the 12 gauge
Superior? Generally no. In certain circumstances where physical disability or limitations comes into play yes it could be.

Viable? Yes. There is certainly a plethora of less suitable options available in the world of firearms.

Quote:
From this point on, more is better takes over
Only to a point. Otherwise the 18 pellet 00Buck 3 1/2" magnums would be considered the new baseline. The previous baseline would have been the 15 pellet 00Buck 3" magnum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Are we there yet.jpg (6.3 KB, 9 views)
Old December 8, 2012, 09:03 PM   #35
OkieCruffler

For hunting, with the exception of deer/elk, my father only uses a .410 mossberg bolt action. He uses it for squirrel, rabbit, dove, even duck (or did before the lead ban). I've witnessed him take a couple of turkey with it. He may very well be one of the most impressive shooters I've ever known. But on his side of the bed sits an old Stevens pump 12ga. You can't possibly believe that the .410 is the equal of the 12ga in effectiveness just becasue the pellets are moving at the same speed. 22 lR is shooting at the same speed as well, but mass matters.

Tags
.410 , 410 , defense , home defense , shotgun