The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 6, 2012, 07:16 PM   #1
TheFineLine

Blazer aluminum case out of a Rossi 38 sp

I picked up an old rossi interarms 38 special (not +P rated) from a cop for $100 including 45 rounds of ammo. It was his backup and only ever shot 5 rounds out of it. I've put a few hundred thru it and its a good little snubby. I just bought a box of blazer ammo for $12. Turns out it has aluminum casing (I know, I know, I should have read the box first). I don't reload so don't really care about that part. I know steel casing can screw up a good weapon and wanted to see if aluminum casing would be an issue out of my Rossi.

Secondly, since I can't use +P what would be the best self defense ammo to use in it?
Old December 6, 2012, 07:52 PM   #2
royal barnes

The aluminum cased ammo will not harm your revolver. I have been using Federal 125 grain Nyclads for several years but recently started experimenting with the Hornady 158 grain XTP jacketed hollow point. It is a standard velocity round running about 725 fps from my Colt Agent. Recoil is fairly mild allowing quick follow up shots and testing shows good penetration and expansion to about .526 diameter. I may start carrying that as my defensive load. Most .38's are regulated at the factory to shoot 158 grain to POA. My Agent does with this round.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Ricklin

They may stick

I have seen the Blazer aluminum case stick in the chambers of revolvers. Not a big deal. Just make sure you support the cylinder well when you tap the case out with an appropriate size hardwood dowel. Otherwise you could damage the crane.
Old December 6, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
wnycollector

Quote:
since I can't use +P what would be the best self defense ammo to use in it?
148gr WC's make decent regular pressure SD ammo.
Old December 6, 2012, 09:47 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
I know steel casing can screw up a good weapon...
FWIW this is a matter of some debate. Some people claim that they are harder on the extractors of semi-auto firearms, and the relatively rough case texture can cause cycling problems in some semi-autos, but neither of these issues should affect a revolver.

They DO generally "shoot dirty" because the stiffer steel case does not provide as tight of a gas seal as a brass or aluminum case.

OTOH far and away the main problem with steel-case ammo is that most brands also incorporate steel jackets and/or cores in the bullets. These ricochet more often, they chew up the steel target hangers and backstops at indoor ranges, and the sparks create a heightened risk of wildfires at outdoor ranges and paper scrap fires at indoor ones. Consequently, an increasing number of shooting ranges prohibit their use.
Old December 6, 2012, 10:47 PM   #6
TheFineLine

Thanks for the help and tips guys.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:59 PM   #7
armsmaster270

I have shot hundreds of rounds of Blaser 44spl 200gr Gold dots out of my 44mag with no problems.
Old December 7, 2012, 02:01 PM   #8
RJay

There are those who have had problems with Blazer Aluminum ammo, I think I have used 90 percent of the different loadings over the years, everything from the .25 ACP to .45 Colt, No 44 yet. I really can't think of a single problem that I've been able to associate with the aluminum casing. That is just my experience. Even if you have sticky cases because of a very tight chamber, it wont hurt your firearm in any way. Any problems encountered will more than likely because your revolver is a Rossie rather than aluminum ammo casings.
Old December 7, 2012, 06:03 PM   #9
Nanuk

A good 158 grain semi wadcutter is probably the best in a standard pressure 38 special. You do not generally have enough velocity from a standard pressure 38 special fired from a snub nose barrel to ensure expansion so use a bullet that does not need expansion to be effective.

The two last picks for SD are the LRN and the 148 WC, both are dismal performers, the wound may be fatal but I do not feel like waiting a week.

I do not see where some +p 38's would hurt if they were only used for SD and not regular practice.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 7, 2012, 06:09 PM   #10
RJay

Nanuk, he was worried that aluminum cased Blazers would harm hs new " used " Rossie . Not which bullet is best .
Old December 7, 2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
148gr WC's make decent regular pressure SD ammo.
I agree, those and 158g SJHPs. Both I have in my older S&W model 37. First shot is a WC, the rest 158g SJHP std.