The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 11, 2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Straitshot

M1A Super Match barrels

I am currently in the process of obtaining a Springfield M1A Super Match. Can any of you tell me if there is a major difference in the carbon or stainless barrels as far as accuracy and/or durability and is a rifle with a stainless steel barrel much more exxpensive than one with the carbon barrel?

Last edited by Straitshot; December 12, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Straitshot

Doesn't anyone have an answer or opinion?
Old December 12, 2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Slamfire

I use Douglas chrome moly because they cost less. There is no difference in life or accuracy between stainless or chrome moly, at least nothing that is not due to lot to lot variations of the steel. There are differences in barrel accuracy between barrels off the same machines, has nothing to do with materials, and if barrel makers knew what was causing it, they would have fewer anxiety attacks.

Stainless is easier to clean up and it takes a lot more effort to get one to rust. You see lots of target shooters using stainless barrels, and in part, it is because you don't have to pay $90.00 to get them blued. When you have to blue the things the price almost becomes a wash. I have not seen any chrome moly M1a barrels that were not already parked so that is not an issue. Humans like shiney things, if you can't live without a shiney barrel than stainless is for you.
Old December 12, 2012, 04:08 PM   #4
4EVERM-14

Congrads on potential new rifle. You'll love it.
Slamfires post is right on. There is no real difference in accuracy between stainless and CM. After about 4000 rounds the CM barrel tends to slowly lose it's premier accuracy. With stainless the loss of accuracy usually occurs more suddenly. Both barrels will still shoot but the groups at distances beyond 400 yards will not be as tight as they were at say 3000 rounds. There is that miracle barrel that continues to crack X's at 600 yards well into 6000 rounds but is not particularly common.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old December 12, 2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Straitshot

Thanks much for you information. It has helped me to decide on which one I will get.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:20 PM   #6
30Cal

The stainless is a lot more idiot-proof.

Heavy heavy rifle.... It balances well once you get another 1-2lbs of lead under the buttplate.