The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 2, 2013, 11:42 AM   #51
wayneinFL

Quote:
C: Nobody told me there was a "C". What is this? I'll tell you what it is - it's a revolver. It's still in perfect running order, loaded and ready to go, locked in that quick open safe that Ma can still open with ease. Manual of arms: 1) Point at bad guy. 2) Pull trigger. 3) Repeat as necessary. Too bad there was no option C. Darn.
Great idea, but the guy was in Wal-mart. You can't pick up a revolver while the wife is grocery shopping.

Of course, he could have gotten one at a gun shop, but he could have gotten better advice there, too. Maybe.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:05 PM   #52
Flopsweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneinFL
Great idea, but the guy was in Wal-mart. You can't pick up a revolver while the wife is grocery shopping.

Of course, he could have gotten one at a gun shop, but he could have gotten better advice there, too. Maybe.
I agree completely. Did I mention that there was no option C? I also said something like "Next time tell the guy not to buy a gun yet." So I like, literally agree with you completely.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:52 AM   #53
coachteet

Ditto on not blaming the walmart employee. But I don't blame you for jumping in. An AR is a particularly poor choice for home defense because of overpenetration. Too many innocent bystanders in my home, and you don't know what situation you are going to get into in a home defense scenario. Any gun is better than none, and there is a reasonable argument for the 22, but IMO, any pistol loaded with HP ammo would be better than a 12 gauge, if we are talking about a family's first firearm. I keep particular firearms "in service" specifically because I know my fiancee wont hesitate to use them if need be. But I can tell you she is specifically not comfortable with a 12 gauge shotgun.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:15 AM   #54
rickyrick

Handguns will penetrate most building material that make up housing in America.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:50 AM   #55
cybrnathan

All you need to be able to do at Wallymart to sell anything is be able to convert Oxygen into CO2. If you can do more than that they make you a manager
Old January 3, 2013, 09:55 AM   #56
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

To quote the Op...
Quote:
This leaves me with the question: Do you need any training or gun knowledge whatsoever to work the gun counter at walmart?
As far as I can tell... This is THEE topic to discuss in this thread...

Not which type of weapon platform or cartridge type is best for which discipline...

So I think we can agree, after 55 replies that "cybrnathan" has pretty much, in a nutshell, summed it up quite eloquently...
Quote:
All you need to be able to do at Wallymart to sell anything is be able to convert Oxygen into CO2. If you can do more than that they make you a manager
And not just at Walmart but at most of the "bigbox" mass retailers selling any subject matter of products...

So we can wrap it up without hurting any feelings???

Brent
Closed Thread