The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2013, 10:56 AM   #1
mehavey

ALOX -- and Japan Drier

I've been traditionally doing the 'double-dip' method for diluted [mineral spirits] Alox by
casting/dipping/drying/sizing, and then dipping/drying again to shoot. (smokeless
rifle loads in 308, 30-06, 8mm 357, 375, 45, etc, etc... naked and gas-checked alike).
No complaints at all.
Works amazingly well.

But.....

Has anyone used Japan Drier [instead of mineral spirits] to accelerate the dry time?
Old August 6, 2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Mike / Tx

Never even heard of it myself. I use the 45/45/10 version and a hair drier to warm things up. In most cases the lube is dry within about 5 minutes or so.
Old August 6, 2013, 12:31 PM   #3
mehavey

Personally I just throw them in a warm oven, but someone else asked and I wondered....
Old August 7, 2013, 11:07 AM   #4
jaysouth

My guess is that Japan Drier is more volatile solvent than mineral spirits. It should dry quicker than others. However, a very light coat of 45-45-10(45% Alox, 45% molten Johnson Paste Was and 10% mineral spirits) will dry quickly in the sun, a warm oven or with a heat gun.

Light is the operative term. If you can see a brown tint on the bullets you have used too much.

Buy a quart of 45-45-10 from Le Stuff for $13 and be done with the issue for life. A quart goes a long waaaay.

For low velocity rifle and pistol bullets, I also tumble, size and tumble again. For anything over 1300-1400 fps, I powder coat. However, I have a 6 cavity Lee C378-140SWC that drops all six cavities at a uniform .359. These are loaded 'as cast' and tumbled once. At .38 Spl velocities, accuracy is better than I can hold.
Old August 7, 2013, 11:17 AM   #5
mehavey

To be honest, I've been using 2:1 Straight Lee Alox/Mineral spirits warmed up in a double boiler and
bullets dipped/left to dry overnight w/o any problems. Japan Drier was just going to be an experiment.

I do have to wait for that drying, however if I'm going size. Anything still wet still sees lead/galling
in Lee push-through dies. (Funny that I don't notice that galling w/ even totally dry bullets in
my 450 Lubrisizer. Anyone able to explain that?)

~~~~~~~~~~~
postscript: Does adding Johnson's Wax to to mix really provide noticable benefit going down the [rifle] barrel?
(I gotta tell`ya that just straight Alox sure seems to work wonders all by itself)

Last edited by mehavey; August 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old August 7, 2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Mike / Tx

Ya know when I lubed up my first several hundred I used the LLA striaght and did my best to put it on as everyone suggested. It just didn't work out for me at all, everything was brown as a bear.

Course I didn't mind other than the goopy feeling they had, least I knew I had enough. Then I made up some Felix Lube and tried it just for kicks. IT worked great, but was a pain to put together and I really didn't want to make it up again.

Then I went straight to the Recluse formula of the 45/45/10, and haven't looked back since. I use about a pinto bean sized clump on the end of a popsicle stick and warm everything up together in a thick vacuum seal bag. It goes on thin and any left overs are plenty to do the after sizing lube by simply repeating the warm up and tumble.

Now that I finally have a Lyman 4500, I am working on some Carnuba Red and after I see how that works with some of my hotter loads I might give it a go with everything just to see.

As for your question about if the wax helps or not, well all I can say is that in my barrels it seems to keep them a bit more shiny and hold a bit less build up. Other than that, I can't honestly tell any other differences. I run 357, 41, and 44 mags, with a 45 Colt and 454 thrown in for good measure. I use the same lube in them all with equally good to great results, even on the top end loads. That said I CAN tell a distinct difference in the same loads lube with straight LLA and 45/45/10 out of the 454 on the upper end.
Old August 8, 2013, 05:28 PM   #7
noylj

Well, since I don't care if my bullets are tacky and since I don't size my cast bullets, LLA as supplied as been perfect and 'drying' overnight is plenty good enough.
Lars' Xlox is my favorite, though I plan to try his 45/45/10 soon.
The closest I get to sizing is installing gas checks—just enough to swage them on.