The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2012, 10:44 AM   #1
hikingman

Homemade Shotgun Patches?

Is there a decent substitute for a inside-barrel cleaning swab (12 ga.) like Hoppe's? My usual patches are squares or rectangles cut off an old t-shirt. I'm not a bore snake guy.

I have the accessories (below) for 12 ga. cleaning on-hand...

Last edited by hikingman; December 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old December 2, 2012, 02:55 PM   #2
hikingman

Looks like I'll be going for textured, retired washcloths or washed shop rags. One for solvent, and removing residue. And another to leave a light film of oil inside the barrel.

Anyone? The silence is deafening...
Old December 2, 2012, 03:05 PM   #3
FlyFish

I've always made my own patches for shotgun cleaning from whatever old cotton material I happen to have lying around. My usual routine is to use a large solvent-soaked patch in the slotted tip for initial wetting down, followed after a bit of a wait by a couple of passes with the bronze brush, and then with a few patches wrapped over the swab so they fit reasonably tightly. When one finally comes out more-or-less clean and dry, I finish up with a clean one with a bit of oil. Using the patches over the swab keeps it clean longer - when it gets too dirty, I just wash it with detergent.
Old December 2, 2012, 03:50 PM   #4
twhidd

Believe it or not, I've actually used toilet paper as a bore swab for my shotguns. Just wad up a bit, soak it in solvent and push it through with a brass rod.
Old December 2, 2012, 04:07 PM   #5
UtopiaTexasG19

Doesn't it sting when you re-use the toilet paper later on?
Old December 2, 2012, 04:50 PM   #6
JWT

I buy cheap bulk terry cloth towels and cut them up. They work quite well.
Old December 2, 2012, 05:13 PM   #7
hikingman

Great, thanks!

One thing is that a big barrel makes it easier to poke material through during the cleaning process.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

I used to go to a fabric shop and buy whatever cotton flannel fabric they had cheap.

Wash it to remove the sizing and cut into patches.

You can also use it to make your own silicone wiping cloths by cutting the fabric into cloth size pieces and spraying it soaking wet with automotive store spray silicone.
Once the cloth starts to get dirty, throw it away and make a new one.
This prevents wiping guns and instruments with a dirty, gritty cloth.

The guys on "The Box O' Truth" recommend using...... tampons.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu9.htm
Old December 3, 2012, 10:13 AM   #9
olddrum1

Fuzzy stick

Made by Silencio, or at least they were, and sold at wally world. Pink and one or two piece. Last for years, one or two quick passes and the barell is clean. Probably, imho, the best deal out there to use. No chemicals, fast, no fuss.
Old December 3, 2012, 12:37 PM   #10
BfloBill

Most people who have been shooting awhile have several old, beat up, bronze brushes (which are too small for the bore from wear) laying around. I just wrap a piece of cotton t-shirt around it and it fits nice and snug in the bore for swabbing. The bristles hold the cotton in place great, but it's not too hard to pull it off and replace it with a clean piece.
Old December 3, 2012, 12:55 PM   #11
dgludwig

Firstly, I dip a nylon brush into solvent and give the bore a few swipes. I then just rip off appropriate sizes of paper towel so as to fit snugly in the bore, soak them with solvent and run them through until they come out relatively clean. After the cleaning is done, another snug fitting piece with a little rust preservative on it will remove most of the residue and still leave a light film of preservative on the bore.
Old December 3, 2012, 01:56 PM   #12
BigJimP

Honestly, a bore snake ...is the most "resueable" cleaning product I've seen.../ because they're easy to clean.

...although those wooly swabs like the one you have from Hoppes in your photo...I suppose could be cleaned and dried / although I've never tried it

but if you use the barrel swab you have - with a patch or paper towel ..they'll last for many yrs too.

Like others mentioned - paper towels are ok .../ and I run them thru a 12ga - with a 20ga barrel swab.../ or on a .22 bore brush and run them thru a 9mm or something - and they do ok --- but I'm still buying patches too ( old habit) I guess.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:21 AM   #13
Orphanedcowboy

I have 2 bore snakes, one soaked with solvent, the other with oil. I clean as usual, run the 2 snakes thru and I am done.

When they get filthy, I wash them with dish detergent, then run them thru the washing machine inside an old pillow case.

The local sewing shop or Hobby Lobby for cheap cotton cloth, a utility knife and good straight edge is your best bet for what you want to accomplish.

Chiseled out of stone