The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 11, 2013, 10:01 PM   #1
NJmike

Sig P290rs range review

Hey everyone. I just wanted to give a quick review on my latest range trip with my new P290. I put 120 Flawless rounds through it. I shot 115gr. FMJ, 124 gr. gold dot hollow point and 124 gr. HMT Federal +P rounds. Wish I had more ammo because it was comfortable enough that I could have shot a couple hundred more with no type of hand pain. The recoil was great and I was relieved to have put all those dreaded posts to bed on how the P290 performs regarding light strikes and all...... BUT if I had to give one negative on the gun, I would say that I definitely am not thrilled on the shape of the trigger. Meaning that the P290 has sharp contouring at the tip of the trigger and you really have to place your finger in that groove. Definitely took some getting used to. Probably because I'm so used to the "plastic" triggers of the glock and M&P. All in all, so far so good.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:04 AM   #2
rodfac

I like mine too, Mike and share your observations on the feel of the trigger, tho my background is pretty much 1911 with its superb single action trigger. The long stroke trigger on my early P290 took some getting used to.

Mine had night sights as issued and the front sight went dark after several hundred rounds. Sig offered to do it at the factory, paying for shipping and the gunsmithing work involved, or to ship me a new front post...I opted for the latter and had no problem installing it.

After something over 1000 rounds, it started to light strike one round out of box of 50...all types of ammunition too. I sent it back to Sig, again on their nickle, and it's been flawless since the, albeit for only 100 rounds so far. Sig replaced the trigger bar, cleaned the firing pin port, replaced the mag release with the 'slim' style, test fired and returned it to me. I've not had a malfunction to date, since the re-do at Sig, but the firing pin crater in a spent round appears to be the same depth as before...and one that appears slightly less deep than other makes to my eye. I bought the gun as a CCW piece to supplement my S&W M36 in an OWB holster, but I'm not ready to trust it in that role as yet, at least until it gives me a cpl hundred more faultless firings.

BTW, my Sig 226 Mk25 also shows less indentation in the firing pin crater, but to date has not suffered a FTF. I use 9mm and .40 S&W slides and barrel assemblies on it, and both calibers show the same amt. of pin crater, so maybe it's a Sig thing. This particular gun has been 100% reliable with a variety of ammunition through 500 rounds to date.

The P290 has been very accurate for me...gps running about an inch and a quarter at 10 yds from a Weaver Stance...about what my 66 yo eyes are capable of any more. The P226 with its longer sight radius, does somewhat better, often less than an inch at the same distance...slow fire of course.

Hope yours works out for you...overall I'm happy with the gun and couldn't ask for more from Sig's Customer Service...just wish they'd have solved the light firing pin fall earlier in the pre-production guns.

Rod
Old March 14, 2013, 10:24 AM   #3
kayakersteve

I also have the p290rs

I just can't get used to that trigger - Have tried and tried. Thinking about selling it because of the trigger
Old March 14, 2013, 01:04 PM   #4
915A

Re: Sig P290rs range review

Got over 400 rds down the pipe with ours. Only issue was a faulty mag, Sig replaced it. Love it! Easy to shoot, very little recoil, and super easy to carry. I cant gripe to much on the trigger, yeah its long winded but thats the safety. It took some getting used to, but it is very smooth. My gripe would be the takedown of the 290. Its a PITA!!! But ive mastered it now, so its ok now. I know Galloway is making an adjustable trigger kit for the 290, so it might be worth a look. Overall, we love our 290rs and most important the wife enjoys shooting with it!
Old March 14, 2013, 06:16 PM   #5
kayakersteve

I checked Galoway site .....not available yet. Maybe I will hang onto mine and try that kit first. I really like the gun other than the trigger
Old March 14, 2013, 09:49 PM   #6
NJmike

Hey guys. Well in regards to the trigger, I absolutely agree that it will take some getting used to. Aside from the long DAO, just the shape of it is weird to me as I mentioned earlier. After shooting glock striker fired trigger and the kimber 1911 single action, it definately took a mag or two to get used to. But once I became adjusted, it was extremely accurate for a small pistol. Felt very well made as well which benefited in the recoil. As for Sig's customer service, I agree they are top notch. I posted my experience with them I had when I sent in my p220 compact for their full service package. Couldn't be happier. Anyhow, being that I only shot 120 rounds with the p290, I definately will run another couple hundred rounds through it to make sure it's good to go. One last thought, I initially was contemplating the p290 or the Beretta Nano. I think I made the better choice. We'll see.

P.S. that take down was DEFINATELY a PITA! Lol.
Old March 16, 2013, 05:03 PM   #7
thinktwice

I had one of the first Sig P-290's when they first came out. I ended up getting rid of it due to far too many light strikes with any ammo I tried. I have to give it to Sig customer service they tried to fix it and did everything they could to make me happy. I really liked the little pistol and wish I had of waited until they got all the "bugs" out. I am thinking about getting another now, because most all of the reviews I read are very positive. Sig replaced it with a P-239 which I am very happy with, but really did want the P-290. The 239 has been 100% but there are much smaller and lighter compacts out there now,and the next step up would be a full size pistol. The P-239 is really a great pistol but it's kind of an in between pistol. Not quite small enough, or not quite big enough if you get it.