The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 21, 2012, 07:53 PM   #1
pabuckslayer08

Tikka T3

So il still looking at what gun to pick out as a gift. I own probably 6 different makes but I'm thinking of a tikka now. Accuracy sounds great an price is awesome but I hear they have a lot of composite pieces like the trigger guard an clip. How well do they look an feel In person, are they built like a rem 770 or is the quality fairly good
Old November 21, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2
The Prodigy

Not even in the same ballpark as the 770. 770 is junk FWIW. The Tikka, however, is worth every penny and probably even more. I have one in .270, and for a hunting rifle that gets USED, it does everything I ask it to. It is more accurate than I am, thats for sure. Don't worry about the composite pieces on it, the Finns know their stuff
Old November 21, 2012, 10:58 PM   #3
PatientWolf

I'm still looking for the right 308 for me and my father keeps telling me "Just go get the Tikka T3 Lite". For a point of reference, he has a 700 BDL, a Savage Weather Warrior, a BLR, and another rifle (not sure the model); all in the same .308 Win caliber.

Right now I'm leaning toward a Savage ONLY because it 1) gives me an extra round in the clip and 2) because I know there will be a lot of customization options/parts available down the road. But, as much as my dad shoots, I'm thinking that based on his praise Tikka would easily be a rifle that could easily become a favorite.
Old November 22, 2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Picher

The Tikka is solid. I have an older model 595 in .223 Rem and a new T3 Lite in .243 Win. They're both great rifles.

I filled the T3 buttstock with canned foam insulation. That made it a bit quieter when walking in the woods and warmer to the touch in cold weather. It was simple...just removed the recoil pad, put masking tape and a plastic bag around the butt (just in case) and squirted it in...slowly. No fuss, no mess.

I've had the chance to carry the T3 quite a bit this fall and love it! I wouldn't mind having one in 7mm-08, but the .243 is mostly for grandkids. I use it around the place when calling coyotes, but so far, they're afraid to come, very afraid!!!
Old November 22, 2012, 01:02 PM   #5
crowsing

I just picked up My tikka T3 lite 22-250 yesterday. The plastic on it is not a cheap fisher price style plastic. It feels very light and very strong. If it were to break it would take about 20 seconds to replace as I already took the complete gun apart before putting a round thru it. Plan on cutting the stock down today for my 8 yr old and shooting it this afternoon. good idea on the spray foam. The gun feels really good in ur hands and the bolt slides as if it is on bearings.
Old November 22, 2012, 09:03 PM   #6
cbuck

i have a t3 lite in stainless in 308. the stock is composite but it feels extremely strong and not cheap what soever. the rifle itself comes with tikka guarantee of shooting moa or less and my rifle will shoot under an inch groups with remington core lok 150gr when i do my part. you wont be disapointed if you pick one up
Old November 22, 2012, 10:06 PM   #7
trg42wraglefragle

Don't be worried about the plastic trigger guard, it is very well built and strong.
Plastics these days are very strong and durable, don't be turned off by them.

The Tikkas are also accurate and have great triggers that can be easily adjusted.
They are great guns.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:44 PM   #8
jephthai

Like others, I am a very happy t3 lite owner. The plastic trigger guard has been a non issue. I think it's one of those things that people latch onto to complain about, but seriously, what is the failure condition you're concerned about with the trigger guard? The mags are expensive, but I have no other problem with them.

Mine's been solid. It's in 270 win, shoots about .8-.9moa with decent ammo. I haven't done any real load development. I put a Nikon Prostaff onit and it's a great hunting gun.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2
Old November 23, 2012, 04:35 AM   #9
sholling

I have two T3 Lites (30-06 & 300WM) and they are awesome rifles. Something to keep in mind is that all T3 Lites are long action so there really is no advantage to selecting 308 over 30-06. Both use the same receiver.

Top: 30-06
Bottom: .300WM
Old November 23, 2012, 06:46 PM   #10
45YearsShooting

The other thing to consider is that the T3 Tikka is LIGHT, much lighter than the other rifles you are considering. This makes a big difference for me when climbing up and down the mountains. I love my Tikka.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:36 AM   #11
jephthai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45YearsShooting View Post
The other thing to consider is that the T3 Tikka is LIGHT, much lighter than the other rifles you are considering. This makes a big difference for me when climbing up and down the mountains. I love my Tikka.
It also makes a big difference in recoil.

Old November 25, 2012, 10:49 PM   #12
sholling

Quote:
It also makes a big difference in recoil.
That's what Limbsavers are for. The 300WM is a bit stout from a 6.5lb rifle but the 30-06 isn't bad.
Old November 26, 2012, 06:54 PM   #13
45YearsShooting

I put a limbsaver soft recoil pad on my Tikka T3 .300 Win. Mag. I don't think the recoil is bad at all. When shooting at an elk and wearing a hunting jacket, I barely even notice the recoil. What is much worse is the feel of a heavy rifle on my shoulder after a day of climbing up and down mountains.

Shooting off a bench at the range in the summer, I hate the recoil from ANY big game cartridge, even a .243 shooting 100 grain bullets. When hunting, the recoil of a .300 Win. Magnum in a 6.5 lb rifle is not an issue.

I shoot 150 grain Hornady Interbond bullets at elk out of my 300 Win Mag. and 30/06. They have made clean kills on big bull elk out as far as 579 yards with perfect expansion, full penetration and virtually no loss of weight, so I don't feel the need to go to 165 or 180 grainers.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:50 PM   #14
jephthai

I get the recoil thing. My primary application for most purchases is range/competition, so I'm always thinking about the comfort. I know we're talking hunting guns here, but just in case there's any recoil sensitivity in the equation, I thought I'd mention it.

Old December 1, 2012, 09:51 PM   #15
awpk03s

I have been really impressed with my Tikka T3 Lite. Mine is a stainless model in 30-06, with a left handed action. Yes, the trigger guard is polymer. I am un-bothered by this. It's strong, and I doubt it will ever break. The magazine is polymer, but... I use poly mags in my AR (Magpul) as well, so I don't think this is a negative. The only negative is the PRICE of extra magazines.

Go for it. They are superbly well built rifles.

Old December 1, 2012, 10:16 PM   #16
mayosligo

Love mine in .308.