The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 3, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1
DavidB2

SR40 vs. M&P .40?

I had almost concluded that I will purchase the M&P .40. However when doing price comparisons at another gun store today; I noted that the SR40 by Ruger is $419.00 brand new while the M&P 40 is $498. Is the M&P really worth that much more? Can anyone give me feedback on the SR40? Both it and the SR9 look like great guns for the price.
Old December 3, 2012, 03:38 PM   #2
915A

I was torn between the Compact versions from both. I chose the SR9c and love it. Not to say the M&P wouldnt be a bad choice, but I liked the safety options and the trigger on the Ruger more.
Old December 3, 2012, 04:53 PM   #3
BILLG

I would buy the M&P.I have 5 of them 2 9mm fs,2 .45 fs and the M&P .22Great guns all.
Old December 3, 2012, 05:26 PM   #4
allaroundhunter

I prefer the M&P series as well. Ergonomically, it feels better. The SR series feel rather thin which is not always a bad thing, but I didn't like it.

I also prefer the sights on the M&P, and the aftermarket support available for it.

And here is an M&P40 for $450

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...Stainless+15RD

Last edited by allaroundhunter; December 3, 2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo.... good call, Mercenary
Old December 3, 2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Mercenary

If you look online, the M&P can be had for about $450. The above post I think was a typo, lol.

From what I've read on various forums, the Ruger has had some issues with trigger failing to reset and some barrel peening and the M&P has had issues with broken slide releases. Either way, both are manufactured by great Ameican companies with excellent Customer Service. So if there were any issues with either gun that haven't been ironed out, you'd be taken care of promptly.

The Ruger comes standard with an external safety and mag disconnect saftey whereas with the M&P, you can have it with any assortment of configurations with or without each.

The SR series does have a better trigger reset than the M&P. It's very Glock-like. However, this can be fixed with aftermarket parts from APEX tactical. The trigger is usually the biggest complaint about the M&P. The SR9c/40c have great reps for triggers. You can further customize the SR trigger but the only aftermarket trigger parts that I'm aware of are from Ghost, Inc. and require a gunsmith to install.

Bottom line.....both are great American guns built to last. Aftermarket support for the M&P is a little ahead of the SR series for now. To my knowledge there are no 9mm conversion barrels yet for the SR40/40c. Rent or borrow and shoot both if possible and pick what fits you best.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:19 PM   #6
LockedBreech

I like that the M&P series is available just like a Glock - zero extraneous safety features, no mag safety, no manual safety, no physical LCI, but also available with those options if you want them.

If you do want all the safety options, I'd consider the two pistols basically the same with the slight edge to the M&P for having acquitted itself well in a service context.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:30 PM   #7
blackamos

Or you could just buy the original. Get a Glock
Old December 3, 2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Xfire68

I have the SR9c and if I were buying a another new gun in 9mm or .40 I would look at the XDM's.

I just bought a XDM .45 Com and a Glock 20. Can't comment on the XDM yet as I am still waiting for them to get here! Dam Echecks!
Old December 3, 2012, 08:09 PM   #9
LockedBreech

@ blackamos

The problem with the Glock recommendation is that price is mentioned here. The SR40 can be found in the $400 range, and the M&P the $450 range. Glock is going to be $500, $550 for the Gen 4. In addition, both the SR and M&P come with great steel three dot sights, whereas the terrible Glock dot-and-box plastic sights need to be replaced asap by a good sight like Trijicon for about $80.

Not to denigrate Glock, it's a great gun, but a more expensive initial investment, and no longer the only dead-nuts-reliable striker gun on the market.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Rolngthun

I have both. My opinion. Both are great pistols. I give the quality edge to Ruger. But if you are into working on your pistol, like changing barrels, or working on trigger, I would certainly recommend the Smith. The nice thing about the M&P is you can buy the 40, and get barrels for 357 sig, and 9mm.
If you want an out of the box reliable shooter, the Ruger is hard to beat.
Both like stated, are fine American made pistols. Which is a high priority for me.
To give you guys a chance to pick on the new guy. I did buy a Springfield XD tactical, giving no thought that they may not be made in the USA. So for now I pretend Croatia is a city in Illinois.
Old December 3, 2012, 09:24 PM   #11
propforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB2
I had almost concluded that I will purchase the M&P .40. However when doing price comparisons at another gun store today; I noted that the SR40 by Ruger is $419.00 brand new while the M&P 40 is $498.
This just came up 3 days ago, full size M&P .40 for $399.99 + S/H

http://www.slickguns.com/product/sw-...mag-safety-454
Old December 3, 2012, 10:52 PM   #12
blackamos

I get Glocks at the police discount $389 for a 17,19,22,23,26 or 27. I forget not every one buys them as cheap.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:55 PM   #13
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackamos View Post
I get Glocks at the police discount $389 for a 17,19,22,23,26 or 27. I forget not every one buys them as cheap.
At that price I'd probably own one of each!
Old December 3, 2012, 11:03 PM   #14
blackamos

@ LockedBreech
I own the 17,19,22, and 23. but I'm going to show my wife your post just to let her know I'm not the only one that thinks that way.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:11 PM   #15
DavidB2

recoil factor

I am mainly concerned about which one has less felt recoil; the SR40 or M&P 40 as much as I am the price difference.
Old December 4, 2012, 03:18 PM   #16
Lordy123

I've shot the M&P in 9 & .40 and I've shot the SR9; never an SR40.

Without being able to directly compare them, I think you'll find the recoil difference between the two will be negligible.

Last edited by Lordy123; December 4, 2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: negligible
Old December 4, 2012, 03:58 PM   #17
allaroundhunter

David, the recoil of the M&P40s has been noted to be one of the softest .40's available and I would agree among the .40s that I have shot. I have not heard much about the SR40, nor have I shot one, so I cannot directly compare the two.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:16 PM   #18
tahunua001

in my personal experience no the M&P is not worth it. it is next to impossible to tell when the trigger has been reset so it forces shooters to slap the trigger, a serious problem if you are trying to work on trigger control. I can't hit a damn thing with them because of it and many shooters also have the problem. I own an SR9C as my everyday carry piece and would take it over an M&P any day of the week and twice on sundays.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:42 PM   #19
LockedBreech

@blackamos hahaha! Glad to help out. If it sways her any further, the baby Glocks are awesome little guns and cute enough that girls might like 'em.

tahuna, while the SR9c trigger is lovely (really, they nailed it) the M&P is allegedly getting an upgraded one. Have you tried any with the Apex upgrades?
Old December 4, 2012, 06:07 PM   #20
k511

M&P all the way.... while my M&P is a 45acp, i do own a sr40 as well as the sr9...the M&P at least my personal one, has a better fit and finish than my rugers, feels better in my hands, and is just as accurate as my lower end 911's (RIA's)...the rugers are nice though as well, in fact my wife prefers the sr9 for range use over our colt defender 9mm
Old December 4, 2012, 07:50 PM   #21
tahunua001

Quote:
tahuna, while the SR9c trigger is lovely (really, they nailed it) the M&P is allegedly getting an upgraded one. Have you tried any with the Apex upgrades?
I haven't tried any with the Apex kits. all of my trigger time has been with range rentals and I have yet to find a range that wants to take the time to upgrade the trigger on a gun that's going to be beat to hell. I have heard that they do offer a huge improvement over the stock trigger though. I just figure if I was going to spend $500 on a gun and then have to turn around and buy a $80 trigger to make me like it then I might as well just spend $600 on an XDM or FNS and call it good.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:52 PM   #22
allaroundhunter

Tahunua, the new-production M&Ps have much improved triggers.
Old December 4, 2012, 08:36 PM   #23
Dragline45

I own an SR9C and have alot of experience with the M&P9c. The SR9C has a better trigger than the M&P9C which is the reason I got it but if I could have done it over I would go with the M&P. The SR9C grip feels thin and is lacking compared to the rest of the gun and throws off the balance for me. The fit and finish wasn't perfect either, I had to drift the front sight since it was way off, far enough where I am surprised I left the factory that way. I also had to smooth some rough spots out on the underside of the slide. To get the gun to my liking I filed off part of the loaded chamber indicator so it doesn't stick out nearly as far, and I took the awful unfinished look off the barrel hood and polished it to match the rest of the barrel. I also removed the magazine disconnect which only took about a minute though so kudos to Ruger for that. Then to finish it off since I think the extended grip floor plates for the SR9C look awful and there are no after market available so I chopped off probably an 1/8 of an inch and reshaped it.

Now that's not to say the SR9C is a bad gun. I have about 800 rounds through mine with zero failures. The gun is very accurate for it's size and recoil is mild. I rarely carry it anymore so I am giving a buddy of mine a good deal on it since it will be his first gun.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:20 PM   #24
NYPD13

S&W forged slide vs Ruger cast slide is enough to warrant an $80 price difference. When I decided on a polymer pistol, the M&P was the second runner up to my Springfield XDM 40.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:00 PM   #25
breakingcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaroundhunter View Post
Tahunua, the new-production M&Ps have much improved triggers.
Is this finally a fact?

I prefer the M&P overall but the Ruger trigger is MUCH better.

I've considered installing the APEX setup...but I shouldn't have to!

If its a fact that S&W is rolling out the new trigger after much interwebs speculation...I've got some shopping to do.