The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 20, 2000, 08:25 PM   #1
Sword

I was watching a TV show with my wife about the FBI and their investigation of crimes. I should note that my wife, while accepting of the fact that I have weapons in the house, does not like them, and has no desire to learn about them. She got confused about the fact that, while watching the show, I was growing more and more angry. She eventually left the room to go read, and I turned off the TV rather than put a .45 cal hole through the set. Reason for my anger?

1. Commentator: "Recovered from the back of the pick-up were a handgun and an AR-15......"

Note: The reenactment actor was holding a revolver and a pump shotgun.

2. Commentator: "Found on the scene was a stolen AR-15....."

Note: Weapon was a walnut stock bolt action rifle, looked like it was in 30.06.

3. Commentator: "They discovered a gun case for a Colt revolver........"

Note: Gun case, in blue plastic, was for a Colt .45 auto, looked to be the Officers Model, like my 1991.

BTW, the "good guys" (reenactment actors, again) were shown in one scene to be carrying M-16's, so I'm sure they could have found at least ONE AR-15 for their reenactment.

My wife later pointed out that I shouldn't be so upset, that, after all, I have an AR-15 of my own. After questioning her, I found out that she was referring to my Winchester Defender, 12 ga. pump shotgun.

Anybody else seen such OBVIOUS errors, on supposed documentaries?
Old December 21, 2000, 12:04 AM   #2
Jeff Thomas

Happens all the time ...

From what I've seen, most reporters simply select the most inflammatory language they can muster to describe firearms held by bad guys. 'Assault weapons', 'sniper rifles', 'Saturday night specials', etc. They act as though none of this matters, and the details are unimportant. 'Course, if your goal is to demonize firearms, then I suppose that perspective makes sense ...

The best example I've ever seen was the snatch of Elian Gonzalez in Miami. The government thug in that infamous photo was wielding an H&K MP5. The story was by the AP. Now, whenever the AP can demonize a firearm, they are Johnny on the spot. But, in this story, how did they refer to the MP5 held by the agent? They called it a 'rifle'. Not an 'assault weapon'. Not an 'AR15'. Just a 'rifle'. The bias is so obvious.

Don't waste a slug on your TV ... at least not for this reason ...

Regards from AZ
Old December 21, 2000, 10:44 AM   #3
Chaingun

In my area, when crime is reported, news channels always have that handgun icon on the screen. It must be a way to keep viewers watching, anything for a buck! Most crime does not involve firearms.
Old December 21, 2000, 03:53 PM   #4
Monkeyleg

Absolutely correct, Chaingun. Some time back the local station was airing a story on a stabbing. Behind the anchor's head was the handgun icon.

Dick
Old December 21, 2000, 05:32 PM   #5
Longshot

Sword,

I think I saw that documentary. It was on the Discovery channel and was about an ATF/FBI investigation into a multiple murder case in which two brothers killed a firearms dealer and his family (while disguised as FBI agents) and stole several firearms.

The perpetrators were white supremacists named Cheyne and Chevy Kehoe (sp?). In what I considered a not-too-subtle scripting effort, the terms "anti-government", "milita group", "firearms", and "gun show" were peppered liberally throughout the program.

I can easily see how the uninformed observer could end up thinking that constitutionalists and libertarians are on the same level as these two guys, who, by the way, happened to look like extras from the movie "Deliverance".

Morpheus-The Matrix

Semper Fi!

Oregonians, please support the Oregon Firearms Federation, our local "no compromise" chapter of the GOA