The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
jproaster

Multi rifle case prep

Guys. I've been reading threads and articles and books and now with your help I will decide which tools to buy for case prep for 5.56, 30-30, and 308 (ar15, lever and bolt guns). I really don't know how much I will reload monthly for each round, but the AR will be shot the most by far(300-500 rounds).

So, if you were buying the tools for case prep what would you buy? I can spend about $300.

I reload on a 550b.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by jproaster; November 30, 2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Wrong title wording
Old November 26, 2012, 05:21 PM   #2
243winxb

A tool to measure FL sizing.http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...nd_Maximum_COL For the 223 & 308, something to remove the crimp on military primers. Any FL die sets will work.
Old November 26, 2012, 05:36 PM   #3
JimDandy

If you can use it on a Dillon, the RCBS Lube Die #1 will lube and decap .223 prior to resizing. There's a Youtube video of a guy using a Hornady Ammo Plant to mass produce .223 reloads in a two pass setup.
Old November 26, 2012, 07:52 PM   #4
rednrusty

Hello there: I'm a newbie here and haven't learned my footwork in navigating your forum so please pardon my goofs and straighten me out. I found in the Skunkworks section a thread about multi-rifle case prepping . In it was an ANSI/SAAMI dimensioned diagram of a .243 cartrige /chamber. I tried to get one for a 7mm 08 cal. that I could make a copy of for myself. No luck. Can anyone help me? kody
Old November 26, 2012, 09:51 PM   #5
jproaster

To be clear, I know that I need a trimmer, but which one? 30-30 is rimless.
Should I get a flash hole Deburring tool?
Swage tool. I like the dillon super600.

Anyhow, I've done some homework; I'd just like to get some experienced perpectives.

John

243- thanks for the link; I'm sure that sooner or later all this data Will make perfect sense

Last edited by jproaster; November 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Because
Old November 28, 2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Edward429451

You will need a trimmer. The cheap Lee kits work well but for higher production I broke down and bought an RCBS Trim-Pro, no complaints. You will need a flash hole deburring tool. You will need a primer pocket swager. The RCBS press mount swager is good but can be finicky if you do not sort your brass by headstamp and year. The Dillon Super Swage seems to be the one to get there. And lastly you will need a case gauge.

That's all you need.
Old November 28, 2012, 07:08 PM   #7
thedaddycat

I think a lot depends on how much time and effort you want to put into your prep. It doesn't sound like you're going to be doing huge amounts of anything at one time. Lee makes a trimmer (case holder) that you can use with your drill. I'm sure others make similar equipment also.

I have a tool, shown below, that has screw on bits to do a variety of case prep tasks. It comes with chamfer and deburring bits as well as small and large primer pocket cleaning and reaming bits. If you are in no hurry you can sit and relax while watching TV or something and do case prep by hand.

I don't recall who makes this tool, but I got it at Cabela's.

I have both vibratory and sonic units for case cleaning, and my pin tumbler is on the way. The pin tumbler is supposed to do a great job of cleaning the entire case including primer pockets and flash holes. In order to have that happen you need to decap your brass before cleaning it. I do decap if I intend to use the sonic cleaner as it will also clean the primer pocket somewhat depending on how crusty it is. I use a Lee decapping die in an "O" frame press and a set of universal shell holders for this task no matter what chambering I'm working.
Old November 28, 2012, 09:28 PM   #8
jproaster

Thanks fellas. And no I won't be reloading large amounts; but I work a business that keeps me busy- 70 hours plus per week. Dont make too much either; so no expensive, but nice gadgets like girauds or graceys.

Maybe Mrs Claus will send some cash my way
Old November 29, 2012, 04:00 PM   #9
jproaster

I just found a trimmer made by LEWilson for $70 plus $12 each caliber to trim. As noted above, 223, 30-30 and 308 presently.

Recommend this setup?

John

Thanks for the help. Going with Wilson.

Last edited by jproaster; November 30, 2012 at 11:37 AM.