The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 27, 2012, 06:34 PM   #26
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Does the dealer pay for that service or is it free?
There is no charge for using the federal NICS system. Some states have their own infrastructure and charges, however.
Old November 27, 2012, 07:42 PM   #27
dogtown tom

Quote:
Hal .......What you're proposing is the "kitchen table" dealer that the BATFE pretty much eliminated between 1993 - 2007.
In '93 there were 250,000 FFL's. By 2007, that mumber had dropped to 50,000.....
Those numbers are misleading.
To say that 'ol evil ATF "eliminated" 200,000 dealers is flat wrong......the great majority of those dealers eliminated themselves. While ATF has plenty to be ashamed of, the reduction in FFL's was due more to VOLUNTARY action by those licensees and not revocation proceedings by ATF.

When notified by ATF that license renewals would require the licensee to be legal under state,city,county laws ans well as local zoning requirements many chose to not renew their FFL.

You can't blame ATF for this..........those licensees were either not operating legally as a business or chose to not obtain sales tax permits, business licenses or have their premises in a location zoned for home business.

When you complete an application for a Federal Fireams License you certify under penalty of law that you comply with State and local law applicable to the conduct of business......that includes zoning, paying sales tax and obtaining any business licenses or permits.

I would bet that many of those former dealers are thankful they were not prosecuted for lying on their FFL application.

Quote:
Brian Pfleuger ....You need proper storage (literally a locking gun cabinet is compliant)
There is no ATF requirement to even have a lock on your front door, much less a safe or locking cabinet. There IS a "safe storage" requirement.....but it has to do with providing gun locks or other safe storage devices to customers when a gun is sold.

Quote:
twobit Another question. When I buy a gun from my dealer, or go to him to pick up a internet purchased gun, he calls in my info on the phone, talks to a human at the other end, and gets an instant check on me to see if I can get the gun.

Does the dealer pay for that service or is it free? This is Texas. No waiting period if you pass the instant check.
Texas uses FBI NICS which is a toll free call and costs nothing.

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military,police,fire or schoolteachers)
Old November 28, 2012, 07:10 AM   #28
Hal

Quote:
Those numbers are misleading.
To say that 'ol evil ATF "eliminated" 200,000 dealers is flat wrong
I'm not "blaming" BATFE for anything & those numbers are correct.
Yes - you're also correct (IMHO) that most of the drop in numbers was voluntary - for whatever reason.

IMHO - it was simply a way ATF could reduce overhead on F so more resources could be allocated to A and T.
Eliminating 200,000 sites they no longer had to visit or "watch over" was a good way to accomplish that.

Last edited by Hal; November 28, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old November 28, 2012, 09:24 AM   #29
dogtown tom

Quote:
Hal .....IMHO - it was simply a way ATF could reduce overhead on F so more resources could be allocated to A and T.
As my ATF IOI said "if there weren't dealers to inspect I wouldn't have a job".

I see ZERO evidence of an ATF plot to reduce the numbers of licensees to devote more resources to alcohol & tobacco.

If you meet the requirements on the application and can operate your business legally from your proposed premises....ATF is REQUIRED to issue the FFL. Doesn't sound like much of a plot or political subterfuge does it?

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military,police,fire or schoolteachers)
Old November 28, 2012, 05:12 PM   #30
Hal

Quote:
I see ZERO evidence of an ATF plot to reduce the numbers of licensees to devote more resources to alcohol & tobacco.
You reading far too much into this & why, I have no idea..

I never mentioned a plot or any other sinister motives.

You seem to be the one pushing some kind of plot agenda....not me...
Old November 28, 2012, 10:34 PM   #31
JMP

http://www.ffl123.com/?gclid=CIaF7Mie87MCFQVgMgod7G0Arg

That's a link to a kit to get your FFL, don't know what it is or if its any good but that website might have answers to your questions