The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1
rcase1234

Extended choke tubes

Just out of curiousity, what is the purpose of extended choke tubes? Are they worth buying?
Old November 25, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2
davery25

A couple of things:

Extended chokes:

1. Offer a longer choke tube, so the constriction happens over a longer period of time which doesn't damage the shot as much. This is similar to having your forcing cones done.
2. Extended tubes are often ported which allows for less muzzle rise and a faster/more controlled follow up shot
3. THEORETICALLY causes less wear on the barrels due to point 1. In practice it won't make a difference.
4. Extended tubes can be changed on the field without tubes because you can grip them.
5. You can have your 28" gun swing with the dynamics of a 30" gun. Or a 30 to a 31 or 32".
6. Easier to clean off in the field should you accidently dip the muzzle in the sand or mud.

That's all i can really think of. I'd place most value on point 2 personally.

Are they worth buying: yes and no. If you see any value to any of the points above and that value is equal to or greater then the cost of the tubes then yes. Will it help you hit more targets or destroy them better if you do - no.

I'm buying two half chokes, extended and ported but that's for the recoil issue, not for anything else. I'm hoping they'll pattern decently.
Old November 26, 2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Virginian

I don't do ported barrels or tubes. A muzzle brake does work on a .460 Weatherby, but compare pressures. And they catch all kinds of plastic build up, and increase noise.
I have patterned both standard and extended choke tubes. Didn't find any significant difference. The extended tubes are easy to change with your fingers on a Sporting Clays course. This is the only reason I use them. In the field I never change chokes anyway.
You will note lots of manufacturers will extol the virtues of all kinds of whiz bang stuff on their choke tubes. They are after your dollars.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:05 PM   #4
BigJimP

I use extended choke tubes on all of my shotguns...but I don't think there is a performance enhancement. Most of the big name companies make good chokes....but Briley is probably the leader in terms of quality.

They're a little easier to tell what chokes you have in the gun...but if you know the marks on the flush chokes, they're pretty easy to see as well.

They're a little easier to change on a sporting clays course or in the field.../ but flush chokes are easy to change as well without a wrench. In my opinion, chokes should only go in "finger tight" ...and they should spin in and out easily with just finger pressure ...for flush ones, just stick your finger inside them and spin them out. If you need a wrench to loosen them, you cranked them in there too tight, in my opinion.

I like ported barrels ( helps reduce muzzle rise between 1st and 2nd shots, in my opinion ) ....but I don't know about ported chokes...