The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 1, 2013, 03:59 PM   #1
triggerhappy2006

Scout Scope

I have been searching for a good setup for an 1895 45/70, looking to make it a GP hunting/truck gun. I stumbled upon this but http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x33-VX-R...pe-P51466.aspx Leupold doesn't seem to be making them anymore, I almost want to buy one just because it appears to be the most versatile scout scope out there. Illuminated reticle, 33mm obj lens which is good for light gathering, the firedot illumination gives you contrast against that dark deer silhouette, the 1.5-5 magnification gives the ability to take shots well past what 45/70 is normally used for, long eye relief is the icing on the cake. I know you really can't go wrong with Leupold, its great glass, but it might be over the top. The only complaint scout scopes seem to get is poor light gathering, illuminated reticle and larger obj lens should counter that.
Old May 1, 2013, 04:08 PM   #2
triggerhappy2006

Oh yea and would I be able to use low height rings or should I go with medium height to be safe. Marlin 1895, XS Scout Rail, 33mm Leupold with a 30mm Tube, looking at the Leupold QRW rings, unless somebody knows some decent Shoot through rings. My argument against the shoot through scope rings is the increased distance between the bore line and scope line, but with a 45/70 and a massively arc trajectory does it even matter? Am I over thinking this way too much for a <300 yard deer gun and scope height doesn't matter regardless?
Old May 2, 2013, 01:40 AM   #3
bamaranger

why not

Folks either love or hate the scout concept. I'm satisfied w/ my set up but only have the traditional IER 2.75 Leupold scope.

I did not find light gathering a real issue, and do a good bit of PM deer hunting in the woods. I could see the critters just fine. What I could not see was the reticle. For that a firedot or what ever will help, certainly.

Another criticism of scoutscopes is the limited field of view. That could only get worse with increased X power. But increased X might help a degree with precision on smaller targets. I don't have the need, but low magnification is a frequent criticism of scout scopes.

Does the illumination and variable power add too much weight and bulk to the scope. I'm thinking I would not want more weight and bulk forward on the rifle, than the fixed 2.75X IER.

Getting the scope lower to the bore will aid the point blank zero a bit. but it will definitely help in the cheek weld and ease you can shoulder and point the rifle. See through mounts are throw back to the days of really unreliable scopes, and do nothing for a good shooting posture.

For rings I use Leupold quick detatch levers, and they will return to a useable zero time and time again.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:04 AM   #4
taylorce1

The VXR line was brand new for 2013, so I doubt Leupold has discontinued it yet. I've wanted to try a scout rifle but haven't wanted to invest the money in case I didn't like it. My buddy has a Marlin .45-70 with a 2.5 Leupold scout scope on it and enjoys salking deer in upstate NY with it.