The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 24, 2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Moby

How many folks here from the Dallas area?

I’m looking for folks in or near the Dallas TX area.
The intent of the group is to take the high cost of tactical training out of the hands of shooting ranges and schools and take control of costs.
While I do not mean to slight instructors, I do whole heartedly believe in capitalism and market driven pricing. I seek 10-15 folks (assuming everyone won’t make every training) and find a good Tactical Instructor (there are many with vet’s returning home) that love to teach and did so some where, and will give us good training for a decent day rate.
10 guys paying $50 is $500 for a day’s work if we all pay our own range fees and provide a classroom (I can do this). This could work very well for a group that is willing to commit to on going training. Rather than the instructor making $1250 per class, we offer three days of students for a reduced rate etc.
I already have an extremely well qualified and incredibly talented Army sniper trainer for those looking for long range shooting skills. He served in Iraq and Afghanistan and taught for years. VERY professional guy. Similar long range shooting classes go for hundreds of dollars for each student. At one range the cost was $500 per head.
For those interested in forming a group to train together at a good price please me at elliscountypreppers [at] email [dot] com
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old November 24, 2012, 09:09 PM   #2
pjp74

It would be nice to find something like that you could attend that wouldn't break the bank, if someone could get something together that would only cost $50-$75 a person would be awesome. With the high cost of ammo already, and being most classes require 750 - 1250 rounds, you already have a substantial investment, plus $3+ a gallon for gas or airline travel the expenses add up pretty quickly. I will shoot you an email. By the way I live in Anna, just north of McKinney.
Old November 25, 2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Considering we just had a nationally known instructor shoot one of his own instructors on a range in Dallas, I'm not sure it is the best time for marketing "a guy I know" budget instruction; but good luck, I always look forward to having more options for good, safe training.

It seems to me like having a good, safe range, especially one with any kind of insurance, is going to be an extra cost. There just aren't too many good range facilities around DFW right now where you can practice much of what is taught in classes.
Old November 25, 2012, 12:19 PM   #4
barstoolguru

Check with the Grand Prairie gun club in Grand Prairie (they are on line). I used to be a member and they do practical pistol and some of the members might be able to help in your quest; Good luck
Old November 27, 2012, 08:55 AM   #5
RCPractitioner

Im in Celina (just north of Frisco) and am also interested.