The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 23, 2012, 10:53 PM   #1
gmarr

BAR Long Trac

Been looking at a semi-auto for hunting, not military style, and am liking the BAR a lot. What's the word on this rifle? Reliability and accuracy? Caliber is between the 7mm mag or the 30-06. Any comments will be appreciated.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:52 AM   #2
cat9x

gmarr,

I've hunted with MkI and MkII (Safari) BAR's for 15 years. As far as reliability goes, I've yet to have a single malfunction. I was introduced to the BAR when I was 17 and was lent a MkI in 7mm Mag. I later hunted with a MkI Grade II in 308Win, then about 5 years ago my father handed me down his MkII Safari BOSS in 270Win. I have taken a lot of game with the MkII.

My Safari w/ BOSS consistently shoots groups 1" or under. Typically 7/8" at 100 yards. I check zero 1-2 times a year.

These are fine hunting rifles. I have never done a complete disassembly on any of the ones I've owned. Just kept the bores clean and the metal oiled. The only qualm I have with them, and a LongTrac may be different, is that they aren't known for having the best triggers. My MkI was OK, but my Safari has a VERY creepy trigger. I've shot it enough that I'm used to it now, but it's a creeper.

Sorry I don't have experience with the LongTrac specifically, but I've shot the ordnance steel receiver BAR's quite a bit. Hope some of that helps.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:01 AM   #3
gmarr

Thanks for the reply, seems Christmas will be a little bit merrier this year.