The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 16, 2012, 11:57 PM   #1
bt380

PX4 Full Size .40 Cal Lube

I have been using Break Free CLP to spray the gun as a cleaner/oiler for most of the gun followed air compressor. I still do the Hoppes #9 for the barrel followed by light gun oil last inside the barrel. I then oil the metal/metal parts with a heavier gun oil. I keep the quantity of rounds fired down to 50 at the range, add some oil for the slide areas, then no more than another 50 before I am done. This seems to be ok, but I know of others do mostly the same but finish with a synthetic grease on the metal/metal parts after they have cleaned the clp off of them. Are there any long time owners of the PXR 40 cal that use the IGG that have found that to be an excellant choice showing no signs of wear? The IGG looks like a much cleaner and more hassel free way to go. Thanks....
Old December 17, 2012, 12:30 AM   #2
jason_iowa

I would run some dry patches down the barrel after oiling. I don't own any Beretta but if anything I would say you are over doing it on the lube. I have pistols with 30 and 40 thousand rounds through em that show more holster wear then metal on metal wear. I tend to get bushings replaced every 5 years or so even on pistols I rarely shoot. Some I only put a couple hundred rounds through after I have them gone through and bushings replaced to make sure the gun functions correctly, clean them and put them back in the safe for another 5 years.

I have 1911s my great grandfather bought before WW1 that have never had anything special used on them have been fired countless times and function as well as they ever did. YMMV
Old December 17, 2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Noreaster

I use #9 for cleaning solvent and I switched to a light grease for lube. Sig, Beretta and 1911s run better when lubed properly. My P229 came with a packet of grease and I've since used the same stuff (TW25B,) on my PX4. On the other hand I use very little lube on my Glocks and I use rem oil or another light oil on them.

I went through the PX4 armorers school and they only recommend proper lube. It's been my experience that the light oil, like rem oil, runs out quickly. During heavy firing the TW25b can get tacky but it's still there and still protecting the metal on metal wear points. Try oiling it properly and see how much you use and watch as it runs all over the place. Then try a dab of TW25 on your finger and you can lube all the points you want inside the gun and it doesn't go anywhere else.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Mr_Jumper

I think you are way overdoing it..

I fire my px4 at range typical ammo count is 300+ and do not oil at the range. I have 1500+ rounds through mine with very little wear. I know that most beretta's like to run wet, BUT I think you are doing more harm by oiling way too much. Just my 2 cents.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Noreaster

A dab of TW25 on your finger for the whole gun is not over doing it. Going to the range and punching paper with a box or two won't require careful maintenance but training hard in the dirt and shooting 1,000 to 1,500 rounds in three days is something different. I worked with guys that didn't run their Sig wet and didn't have any problems, but it does cause more wear and tear on the gun and eventually it will be more reliable with proper lubrication.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Mr_Jumper

Response was for the OP

Noreaster, my response was towards OP, not yours. My apologies for the confusion..
Old December 17, 2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Noreaster

My mistake MJ. I had a couple of instructors that where zealots about proper weapon lube and I tend to harp on it now.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:52 PM   #8
bt380

Thanks for all the input, good stuff. I mostly use Hoppes Elite or Breakfree CLP which is a bit thicker oil pending the weapon I am shooting at the time. They both start looking awol in a hundred rounds so I backed of to quick wipe off and light re-oil wipe on the barrel only at 50 rounds. I'll try the TW25B idea. I haven't used that oil since I have to order it. It isn't in my local shop. What are your thoughts on the IGG (Italian Gun Grease)?

Last edited by bt380; December 17, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:57 PM   #9
LockedBreech

I clean my PX4 .40 fullsize with CLP. Then I let all non-frame parts in sit in a thick layer of CLP for 2 hours. I clean well, leaving a very light CLP layer (more of a sheen) on everything. Then I touch up VERY lightly on the rails and locking lug only with Hoppes Elite oil.

4,000+, flawless
Old December 18, 2012, 10:36 PM   #10
RC20

I don't think there is anything wrong with oil or lube, but I have gone with the lube on the wear parts.

Until synthetic grease it was not a good way to go but the TW25 came with the Sig and I liked it and I don't have to think about it anymore.

I do use CLP in the triggers hard to get area (or synthetic oil) as the grease will not penetrate.
Old December 19, 2012, 02:25 AM   #11
AndyWest

I've just recently started using Ballistol on everything. Yes, I saw it on hickok45 The stuff is amazing and leaves a curious-feeling slickness. And boy howdy does it stink up the place.

No long-term results to report but seems a good, easy option so far.
Old December 19, 2012, 05:21 AM   #12
Nathan

So, here is how I decide oil vs grease. I grease areas that wear, but are loose to the mating parts. I oil anything with a fit of slide rails o tighter. I also oil wher I need the lube to wick or wash off crud.

Be careful with grease. It tends to hold dirt too well.

I use Weapons Shield oil and Tetra or Wilson grease.
Old December 19, 2012, 03:10 PM   #13
Noreaster

I've heard really good reviews for Ballistol but I haven't gotten a chance to try it. I'm a big Sig fan but the PX4 is one of the most accurate pistols I've ever owned. Beretta did it right with the PX4, I just don't understand why they aren't more popular.
Old December 19, 2012, 03:21 PM   #14
AndyWest

My guess is because when people think Beretta, they think 92. I still do, though I've heard nothing but good about the PX4 and would like one some day. This from a SIG fan as well.

Ballistol is great, though as I said I haven't used it long enough to comment on long-term reliability.