The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 20, 2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Kimio

You run into them every once in a while...caliber snobs

Was talking with one of my coworkers and we had come around to the topic of handguns.

I had mentioned that I was planning on purchasing a 9mm C75 compact for SD/HD when he looked at me and said "You have to get away from those 9mm, they won't drop anyone at range and are way too inaccurate". Not sure what he was talking about since I've seen numerous shooters who are quite accurate with a 9mm out to 30+yards.

You run into them every so often, but I just smiled and nodded simply stating that I'm more comfortable with a 9mm and that I respectfully disagree.

Funny how some people still think bigger is better when that isn't always necessarily true. Best thing is to just smile and nod I suppose.
Old November 20, 2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Theohazard

As far as today's main self-defense handgun calibers, when you're using modern hollow points there really is only a marginal difference between them. I remember when I asked a co-worker of mine whether he preferred 9mm, .40, or .45; he used to work as a professional instructor and has trained with and is friends with Massad Ayoob, so I wanted to hear his opinion. He said, "They all suck, so pick the one you shoot best."
Old November 20, 2012, 04:57 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
I had mentioned that I was planning on purchasing a 9mm C75 compact for SD/HD when he looked at me and said "You have to get away from those 9mm, they won't drop anyone at range and are way too inaccurate".
Someone needs to stop reading so much Internetz.

Quote:
but I just smiled and nodded simply stating that I'm more comfortable with a 9mm and that I respectfully disagree.
Best course.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; November 20, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old November 20, 2012, 04:58 PM   #4
zincwarrior

They all suck, so pick the one you shoot best."
Old November 20, 2012, 05:02 PM   #5
SRH78

Quote:
As far as today's main self-defense handgun calibers, when you're using modern hollow points there really is only a marginal difference between them. I remember when I asked a co-worker of mine whether he preferred 9mm, .40, or .45; he used to work as a professional instructor and has trained with and is friends with Massad Ayoob, so I wanted to hear his opinion. He said, "They all suck, so pick the one you shoot best."
Great answer!
Old November 20, 2012, 06:17 PM   #6
JimDandy

Or have fun with it. I enjoy the trash-talk between 1911 and glock, or 9mm and .45 when it's good natured and friendly. I also enjoy it when it's clever... the stickers and shirts that say things like "45. Because shooting twice is silly!" and what not.
Old November 20, 2012, 06:32 PM   #7
publius

I completely disagree with his 9mm is weak statement, but the inaccurate statement is just stupid.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:04 PM   #8
jhenry

A decently accurate 9mm will chew the middle out of a B27 target at ranges far beyond the 30 yards mentioned. Any good handgun will, some much better than others. Although I prefer larger heavier projectiles, it is true that advances in bullet design have taken the 9mm Parabellum into pretty decent territory. If I were limited to a 9mm only, and had quality ammo I certainly would not feel undergunned by any means at all.

A couple of my bucket list guns are 9mm's, a Belgian Hi Power, a Sig P210 to name two of them. I got to play with a Waffen marked Luger last spring which was too cool. It made me want to invade Poland.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:18 PM   #9
SHR970

Obviously a person who is entitled to their opinion; no matter how wrong they are. Probably a booster for a snub 44 mag. as a carry piece.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Joe_Pike

Quote:
"You have to get away from those 9mm, they won't drop anyone at range and are way too inaccurate".
You can't fix stupid.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:51 PM   #11
sam colt

caliber?

I like .45acp, but I have decided that I do not want to be shot with any caliber, big or small! Could ruin your whole day.
Old November 20, 2012, 08:05 PM   #12
Nanuk

There is nothing wrong with the 9mm, its not my first choice, but it will do.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:33 PM   #13
9mmhpfan

I think all handgun calibers are weak, so I have started towing a WWII vintage 155mm "Long Tom" cannon behind my truck everywhere I go.
Old November 20, 2012, 11:23 PM   #14
Yung.gunr

I don't know what you guys are encountering recently, but for me it seems like the .40S&W is all the rage.

I have one friend who I thought was rather knowledgable regarding guns and he will only shoot a .40 "because that's what .... PD uses". He has been talking about joining the local PD for as long as I've known him and it has gone nowhere. I have since dismissed him as a Mall Ninja (he always talks about going shooting, but every time I invite him he always has an excuse, or tells me about going shooting last weekend. Always getting the latest tacticool gear on his AR, talking about buying a "sniper rifle" from a guy on the PD).

My cousin who was actually on the force for a brief time before lay offs will also only buys in .40. I can sorta see that as he is actively working to get back on with a PD. But, I don't understand why they don't get one in a different caliber just because it's fun??...

Ah well it's their money.
Old November 20, 2012, 11:33 PM   #15
Patriot86

You will always find people who say "If the caliber doesn't begin with a 4, don't rely on it for SD". Thats just silly if you ask me. Shot placement is much more important IMO; yes a 45 will in theory do "more damage" to a target than a 9MM; but a shot to the head, lung or heart of a target is the only "guarantee" it will slowed or stopped.

I seem to recall some story on the news years back during the Iraq war about a couple of insurgents hole up in a hut; they had to run the hut over with a tank to finally kill the guys inside. They found each bad guy had been hit dozens of times but that because they were so hopped up and no vital areas had been hit they were able to keep up the fight.

A shot to a non critical area is not likely to stop your target if they are hopped up on certain drugs; this whole "one shot stop 45" thing is a myth perpetuated by the movies. I wish I had a magic 45 that made people fly across a room with a single round and instantly dropped each bad guy where they stood. In the real world; the only thing that is going to do that is a shot "guaranteed" to one shot stop someone is a shot to the center of the head.

It is best to focus on what works best for you; I don't like 40 S&W because I don't like how "snappy" it is. I like 45 ACP too but I don't like the trade off in ammo capacity.

If 9mm was "too weak" then the Navy Seals would not be using it.

Last edited by Patriot86; November 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old November 21, 2012, 12:04 AM   #16
Deja vu

i know lots of people that tell me I should carry a 9mm or a 40 or a 45. For my I choose the 357 magnum. I find a lot more "tactical" snobs than caliber snobs. I like what I like and let others like what they like. I don't try to change them,i wish they would leave me the same courtesy.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 21, 2012, 12:15 AM   #17
Single Six

I probably qualify as a caliber snob, at least when it comes to my semi-autos. For me, it's .45 ACP all the way. However, I also know that shot placement, good tactics, and a cool head go a long way as well. That said, if a 9mm does it for you, and you're accurate with it...more power to you. I sure wouldn't wanna stand in front of one. A 9mm in your hand in an emergency beats the heck out of an EMPTY hand.
Old November 21, 2012, 12:21 AM   #18
David13

Yes I suppose also I'm a caliber snob. .45. Period. I think I'm allergic to other calibers, or something.
They make me itch.
Maybe I'm some type of 'purist'.
dc
Old November 21, 2012, 01:06 AM   #19
riggins_83

There's no magic caliber, no magic bullet in any handgun caliber. Sadly there are people who think a 45 will blow a leg off and people who think "380 is useless unless you use Federal Hydrashocks" (heard that said a few years ago). For my own guns I'm a bit of a caliber snob however I don't feel there's a reason to pass that on to other gun owners...
Old November 21, 2012, 08:33 AM   #20
west5757

"...and are way too inaccurate".

I'd like to let this guy watch my wife shoot her 9mm SA EMP. She can shoot the lights out with it ....literally.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:44 AM   #21
JimPage

Decades ago (yeah, I'm old) the 9mm was known as a weak stopper because it had only ball ammunition that over penetrated, so purportedly was not a good self defence round. And this was the common thread of most gun magazines and the general culture.

So perhaps he is just parroting what he learned as a youngster from his grandfather who never heard of current bullet improvements. But either way, a 9mm must smart when you're hit with it.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old November 21, 2012, 09:03 AM   #22
Kimio

@jimpage That may be true, personally, I believe that at the ranges that I would be engaging someone or something in a SD/HD role, accuracy at longer ranges should not be an issue. I know my limits and I'm pretty sure I'd develop a nasty flinch if I were to start with a .45ACP

9mm is also much friendlier on the wallet
Old November 21, 2012, 09:24 AM   #23
Stressfire

You know, a snubby .500 Mag pretty much settles any caliber debate. Then again, 5 rounds just isn't enough for a SD scenario

9mm service size pistol is my handgun of choice. Might not make quite the mess that a .45 will, but I shoot it better.
Old November 21, 2012, 10:08 AM   #24
JimDandy

I wouldn't buy a .40 myself. But that's because I already have a .45. If I got another pistol caliber, I'd get a 9mm. (Not counting the 1911-22 I'm currently keeping an eye out for which doesn't really count in my eyes). Not that I have anything against .40, but I already have .45 which costs about the same. I don't see the need to have two pricey range toys.
Old November 21, 2012, 11:38 AM   #25
Dead

I took a wierd path down the caliber trail... Started with 40, then 45 now at 9mm. As others have said prior I am sure shoot what you shoot best!