The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 27, 2015, 10:41 PM   #1
Gregory Gauvin

PT1911 Mags

I have a PT1911, customized of course - as the factory set ups are...well...not on par to anything I would own.

I found that SA 7 round GI mags work great in this gun. I carry the gun with a SA 7 rounder, 100% reliable. The factory Taurus magazines, to me, feel as though they have weak springs. Compared to my Springfield mags, the Taurus springs are very light - yet they are new mags from the factory! I only use them for range practice. I occasionally experience problems with these mags. Sometimes the round jumps ahead of the extractor, or if the base of the mag is pushed upwards I run into some malfunction.

I DO like the fact they hold 8 rounds, instead of 7. For carry purposes, I would prefer to roll with 8+1 rather than 7+1, however, I am looking for a 8 round magazine, flush fit, without the bumper base. Years ago it was told to me, that the only reliable 8 rounders were the ones with the bumper bases, as the flush fit mag springs were weak as they were cut to accommodate the extra round.

I am interested in flush fit mags for carry. Specifically, I would like to know how the Chip McCormick Shooting Star Magazine 1911 Government, Commander 45 ACP 8-Round Steel mags hold up. Last round hang ups? Weak springs? Or are these very reliable mags? Also, does the follower have the little "bump" on top like SA mags do? I have heard that little "bump" plays a role in something. I see no reason to utilize a 7 round flush fit mag if an 8 round flush fit mag functions just as reliably.
Old February 27, 2015, 11:18 PM   #2
WVsig

Shooting stars are good but the power mags are better IHMO.
-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old February 28, 2015, 07:29 AM   #3
dusty14u

I have never had an issue with Shooting Stars over the years I have used them. They work well in all the 1911's I have and I would recommend them with no hesitation.
Old February 28, 2015, 09:34 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergory Gauvin
I would prefer to roll with 8+1 rather than 7+1, however, I am looking for a 8 round magazine, flush fit, without the bumper base.
Two words: "Checkmate Industries."

http://www.checkmateindustries.com/handgun.html
Old February 28, 2015, 09:38 AM   #5
WVsig

Quote:
I have never had an issue with Shooting Stars over the years I have used them. They work well in all the 1911's I have and I would recommend them with no hesitation.
I do not recommend them for use with alum framed 1911s. The way the follower moves forward has been known to damage feed ramps. Otherwise they are good to go.

I also like Checkmates in 1911s.
Old February 28, 2015, 09:50 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig
I do not recommend them for use with alum framed 1911s. The way the follower moves forward has been known to damage feed ramps. Otherwise they are good to go.
Correct.

Check-Mate has a patented follower that's similar to the Devel-style follower used by Chip McCormick, but the Check-Mate patented follower has a skirt on the front to prevent the nose dive.
Old February 28, 2015, 12:23 PM   #7
dusty14u

Quote:
I do not recommend them for use with alum framed 1911s. The way the follower moves forward has been known to damage feed ramps. Otherwise they are good to go
Who mentioned aluminum frames? The OP asked about the PT1911 which is a forged steel frame.
Old March 1, 2015, 11:08 AM   #8
WVsig

Quote:
Who mentioned aluminum frames? The OP asked about the PT1911 which is a forged steel frame.
No one directly but you did state....

Quote:
I simply added a clarification that there are some 1911s which people universally agree should not be shot with shooting star mags. You recommend them with "no hesitation" I however recommend them with a warning/clarification that one should not shoot them in gun with alum alloy frames because they have a high potential to damage the feed ramp of these guns.

Why are you picking a fight?
Old March 1, 2015, 12:12 PM   #9
therifleman556

I have four of the shooting stars. They work great in my PT1911 with ball ammo. They only work 100% with seven rounds though if I'm shooting Federal hydra shoks.
Old March 1, 2015, 02:15 PM   #10
Gus90

1911 Mags

I ran into the same problem with the factory mags that came with my commander. I bought a couple of the Kimber 8 rnd flush fit magazines to try them out. I have been very impressed with them, very affordable ($22 at sportsmans), never had a jam or malfunction and im at about 3500 rnds out of them so far. I would recommend them especially if you dont want to spend a fortune on magazines.
Old March 1, 2015, 03:19 PM   #11
Whirlwind06

I have had good results with the Colt factory 8 rounders, they are made by either Checkmate or Metalform. And they have the dimple on the followers.

This is one of the best write ups I have seen, comparing 1911 mags.

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/index.html

Last edited by Whirlwind06; March 1, 2015 at 03:27 PM.