The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 18, 2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Departed402

I missed the Glock Gen4 (un)reliability hubbub... Any truth to these issues?

I only recently became interested in purchasing a Glock, specifically a G26, so I wasn't paying attention when people were really talking about the first Gen4s. I know when the Gen4s were first out there was talk and rumors that the Gen4s may not be as reliable as the tried-and-true Gen3s.

What is the consensus on this issue now that the smoke is clearing?
Old November 18, 2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Crow Hunter

There was a problem with the RSA.

But since the G26 has always had a double recoil spring. The Gen 4 G26 should be good to go.

And if you have any issues, Glock will take care of it.

Good luck.
Old November 18, 2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Officer's Match

Extractor issues too, not just on Gen4's, late production Gen3's also. Yes, the problems are very real, however some Glock loyalists will insist it's inferior ammo and inexperienced shooters. Both have their part, yet previously Glocks functioned fine regardless, now not so much.

ETA, just saw this in another thread:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...Extractor-Woes
Old November 18, 2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Crow Hunter

Yes there were/are some ejection "problems".

Some of them are overblown however.

Stove piping and failures to eject or constant brass to the face are a definite problem.

Not getting ejection at precisely 3:00 with every single round type fired is not a problem.

Some people had definite problems, they reported their problems. Then a large number of the normal OCD Hoplo-chodriac (Yes, I made up that word)"Oh crap is there something wrong with my gun?" people began obsessing over the ejection patterns of their guns. (As opposed to the finish/how far left their rear sights are/visible gates on the frame/etc.)

Unfortunately people actually believed the hype/marketing about Glock reliability and started having a case of the vapors when someone has an issue with them.

If the OP buys the gun and has a problem with it, Glock will fix it. Or, he can chose a different brand, and worry about that particular brand's issues.

Good luck.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:18 PM   #5
tahunua001

glock issued a full scale recall on Gen4s that is currently ongoing. I would say that there is no possible way to say that it is being exaggerated. the gen 4 issues revolved mostly around their 9mm offerings IIRC and were primarily caused by failure to eject/extract and feeding issues. I personally witnessed the serious nature of these defects when I went with a friend to help him try out his brand new Gen4 which failed nearly 25% of the time.

there are also recurring problems with current Production Gen3s as well. they are usually less serious in nature such is erratic ejection patterns/brass to the face and widening groups with excessively hot barrels(IE multiple magazine dumps) but they are still irritating enough to cause complaints and a glaring black eye to Glocks slogan "Perfection" that they are dumb enough to stamp on every gun they make.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:27 PM   #6
tahunua001

here is a thread right here on TFL that involves serious recurring problems with a Gen 4 glock.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Amsdorf

Yes, all Gen 4 Glocks are total junk. You should send me anyone you buy, I'll give you $5 for it.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:35 PM   #8
JC57

I have a Gen4 26 and a Gen4 22. I have never had a problem with either of them. I did replace the recoil spring in the G22 when they recalled them but I had never had any problems with the original recoil spring for that matter.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:53 PM   #9
BarryLee

I have a Gen4 G26 and have put around 700 rounds of assorted ammo through mine and experienced zero problems. I purchased the gun in July and have no idea if it might have already been upgraded or if the G26s are just not as prone to problems.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 19, 2012, 06:07 AM   #10
Noreaster

I have Gen 4 G17 & G22 bought this year and no problems. The round count is getting high on both. I was at an IDPA shoot and I observed a G17 Gen 3 with the ejection issue and it was a real. All his rounds were dribbling out and hitting his forearm and a couple on the brim of his hat.
Old November 19, 2012, 06:28 AM   #11
rebs

what about the Gloack 30 in 45 acp, any problems with them ?