The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 13, 2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Mikef262

Need help fast... Hunting rifle

This past weekend I took my brand new Marlin 30/30 hunting. It ended up breaking on me. I called the gun shop, and luckily the guy is real nice. He said he's got a Remington 270 pump action he will do an even trade with me. I need to know if that's a good deal, even if the gun is used. I paid $360 for the marlin. Thanks for the help fellas, and please excuse any typing errors. I am doin this via iPhone.
Old November 13, 2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Catfish

That would depend upon the condition of the 270. It would be a model 760 which was never real popular, and not near as accurate as most bolt guns. But if you were happy with a 30-30 it should be good for any range that the 30-30 would reach and alittle more.
Old November 13, 2012, 06:23 PM   #3
hornetguy

Again, it depends on what kind of hunting/shooting you do. A .270 has way more range than the .30-30... in the hands of one who is familiar with the rifle, it is a legitimate 300-400yd rifle. It's a great caliber... possibly one of the BEST all around calibers for north American hunting, being perhaps slightly light for big elk and moose, but near perfect for everything else.
The 30-30 is limited to about 150yds, but is borderline perfect for deer sized game in that range.
There is nothing wrong with the Remington pumps, as long as you use good quality ammunition, or meticulous reloads. They are probably faster on the second shot than even the Marlin, if that matters to you.
Value-wise, is the pump new, or almost new? The condition of the rifle will determine whether it is a "good trade" or not. I imagine the Remingtons are more expensive new than the Marlin, but I haven't checked prices lately.

As much as I like leverguns (a LOT), I'd be tempted to go with the .270, for the versatility.... but that's just my opinion... worth what you paid for it.
Old November 13, 2012, 07:03 PM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I'd make that trade in a heartbeat . Once you learn how to run the pump you'll wonder why you ever owned a levergun . The .270 Win. is a whole different class of cartridge compared to the 30-30 ! IMHO you're movin on up .
Old November 13, 2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
It would be a model 760 which was never real popular, and not near as accurate as most bolt guns.
Being a forum newbie, obviously Catfish hasn't learned how to search the forum. Lots of comments on here about the extremely fine accuracy of the Rem 760 and 7600 pumps. They are FAR, FAR more accurate than any lever-action 30-30 and most will give a bolt action a good run.

I'll never give mine up.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Johnny Falcon

My 760 in .30-06 is surprisingly accurate. I'm really happy with it.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:39 PM   #7
ripnbst

Make that trade if the rem pump is in good condition.
Old November 13, 2012, 10:03 PM   #8
Mikef262

Thanks for all the help guys! I will be going by Friday. Cutting it close for this weekend, but oh well.
Old November 13, 2012, 11:00 PM   #9
Vermonter

Broke How

Broke as in factory issue or broke as in dropped from tree stand. My point is that there could be a warranty repair in your guns future.
Old November 13, 2012, 11:08 PM   #10
Wyosmith

I do like the Marlin 336, but I'd take the Rem 760 if I were offered the trade.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:01 AM   #11
jmr40

The Remington pumps are a much better choice than the Marlin. They weigh about the same, are much faster for repeat shots than a lever, more reliable, and about as accurate as most bolt rifles. I prefer bolt guns, but if this 270 is in good shape I'd make that trade
Old November 14, 2012, 09:03 AM   #12
silver arrow

I'm interested in what happened to your Marlin? I've been shooting lever action Marlins for many years and have never heard of one tearing up so bad that you couldn't fix it yourself. I would be interested in buying it.. that is ...if it hasn't been abused. Please let me know.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Mikef262

The lever is stuck in the upward position, and refuses to return to the downward position. Five guys and I couldn't get it to go back. There are still bullets in the tube that we can't get out.
Old November 14, 2012, 04:26 PM   #14
Vermonter

ouch

is there still a live round in the chamber by chance?!?!?!?!?!?!? If so proceed with caution obviously. An expirenced gunsmith is in order here. I assume the fella at the shop knows what is going on with it and feels he can fix if for a trade.

I have bent a lever on one but never had it stuck in any particular position.

Regards, Vermonter
Old November 14, 2012, 04:42 PM   #15
Picher

Try putting a cleaning rod down the bore and see if it goes all the way to the bolt (unloaded condition). If it doesn't, the rifle is loaded!!! If not, check to see if a round is stuck between the magazine and the rear of the carrier.

A gunsmith could probably fix the rifle in a half-hour. I'd call the company and see if they have a repair station nearby that you could take it to. You won't be able to ship the rifle with rounds in it.

You can remove the cap from the magazine and take the rounds out of the tube that way. Watch out that the spring doesn't go flying when you remove the cap screw. After the spring tension is removed and live rounds that aren't stuck in the tube are out, you may find one round still stuck between the tube and carrier. It may be possible to use a thin screwdriver or piece of metal to slide the round to the magazine and out.

If there is no round in the chamber and none in the action, but the action still refuses to open, you'll need to remove the lever pivot screw from the receiver and the lever may come out. The action should then be freed up, unless there's a bad cartridge stuck in the chamber.

Good luck. I wish you were nearby as I could probably fix the rifle in short order.
Old November 14, 2012, 09:09 PM   #16
presence

I wouldnt think twice about taking the .270. It's a no brainer if you ask me!
Old November 14, 2012, 09:15 PM   #17
Mikef262

No round in the chamber, but 6 in the tube. I am taking it in tomorrow and trading it. I stopped by and seen the 270 today, and it was in great condition. I figure the broken gun will be his to deal with, and if nothing else he gets 6 free 30/30 bullets.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:27 PM   #18
warbirdlover

Wise choice!
Old November 15, 2012, 12:08 AM   #19
Deja vu

I love levers and the 30-30 round but I think you made a good choice.

all 25 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple
Old November 15, 2012, 11:34 AM   #20
L_Killkenny

I like both levers and pumps. If I was buying used AND the Remington was a different cartridge I'd take the pump. But alas it's not a different cartridge so I'd pass.

Oh and by the way, while I consider the Remington pumps to be accurate enough, Marlin and Winchesters can be just as accurate. Just gotta feed each something it likes. I give a coin flip in the accuracy department.
Old November 16, 2012, 02:41 AM   #21
sc928porsche

Ive never found the lever actions to be any more accurate than the pumps.
Old November 16, 2012, 07:03 PM   #22
Rimfire5

Sounds like the Marlin 336 ejector (the little angle spring that slides into the side of the receiver) may have come loose and that tends to jam up the works.

If you move the lever forward with the ejector out of its slot, the lever jams in the open position because the ejector jams the bolt/firing pin assembly.

If the ejector wasn't fitted in the little hole on the left side of the receiver, it can slide around and come loose.
I speak from experience. I had it happen the first time I cleaned the rifle.
Now I am very careful to get it back into the little hole, before I slide the bolt in place and reattach the lever.

You can check to see if that is the problem. If there is someing in the hole flush with the exterior of the receiver, then the ejector is in place. If there isn't anything in the hole or the pin is not flush with the receiver then it probably has come loose.
Old November 17, 2012, 07:52 AM   #23
shafter

I recently had that same problem. The screw on the loading gate came loose and when levering a shot the gate jammed up the works. It's aggravating but it's not a very big issue.
Old November 17, 2012, 11:32 PM   #24
jbrown

you have now seen the "marlin jam",get a cleaning rod ,or some such implement,stick it in the loading gate and push the shell back into the magazine.
the problem in the "lifter" is worn,or out of spec,and lets more than one round out of the tube at a time.
It may,or may not,work ok to empty the magazine before jamming again.
I just got a 1894 fixed a few month ago for the same problem.,cost about $135 to get fixed,including the new parts.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:26 AM   #25
PawPaw

Quote:
It would be a model 760 which was never real popular, and not near as accurate as most bolt guns.
It would either be a 760, or a 7600, both fine rifles. My 760 shoots into an inch with my hunting load, which I consider fine accuracy with my indifferent bench technique. The one drawback to that rifle is the magazine, which is a bit twitchy during magazine changes. However, this isn't a battle rifle, it's a hunting rifle. Properly seating the magazine simply takes a little attention. You can't simply slam it in and go.

I'm always on the lookout for a nice Rem 760 in the used gun racks. Folks in these parts don't seem to like them much, but I've found that they're much more accurate than the shooter, generally.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com