The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 13, 2012, 04:06 PM   #1
jlb43

New L&R

Found a LNIB Pietta L&R so now I have the Pietta, a Uberti, and a High Standard. Does anyone know if Navy, ASM, Replica Arms or any other outfit ever sold an L&R?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 leech&rigdons.jpg (233.8 KB, 76 views)
Old November 13, 2012, 05:20 PM   #2
BerdanSS

Wow those are dandys! I love L&Rs...I believe our reenactment group had a couple of them that were mad by ASM in our loaner box...but I could be mistaken.
Old November 13, 2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

I'm not sure if ASM or Palmetto made L&Rs or not. Dr. Davis would be the guy to ask.

Navy & Replica Arms were importers that sold Pietta, Uberti, Palmetto and ASM manufactured revolvers.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 13, 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

I like

The looks of the top revolver best.

Interesting look with the white steel frame.

Do I remember reading correctly that the originals were not finished in any way, just left white?

Fingers...maybe that is a question for you?

Tnx,
Old November 14, 2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

In all the books I have on Confederate small arms, there is no mention of how they were finished. William A. Albaugh's Confederate handguns (and other books) includes a passage from a Feb 1864 letter from Col. Gorgas to Assistant inspector of Small Arms Capt Wescom Hudgins that states "In the pistol made by Rigdon, Ansley & Co, additional attention is required to prevent ring-boring, and in bringing the cylinder chambers to the true caliber; and rifling is hardly deep enough; front site projects into the bore; dimensions of the cone to be the same as Colt's; the cylinder must be case hardened, and Colt's lever catch substituted as soon as possible for the pin now used.

In some of the other books, there are references to Colonel Burton visiting various armories to instruct in case hardening and bluing processes.

As far as I know, there is no definitive description of revolver fnishes. Parts being left in the white is a distinct possibility; but I would more easily buy some bluing, browning, or case hardening finish to prevent rusting.

On a side note, the practice of using lye soap water in camp to clean rifles and pistols after washing ones clothes produced a finish known as Confederate Bluing on metal parts.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 16, 2012, 10:24 AM   #6
brazosdave

I have a uberti made Navy arms.
Old November 17, 2012, 02:23 AM   #7
jlb43

Confederate bluing eh? I would like to see a picture of what that looks like. It may be something to try on an old beater. Wonder if you have to wash clothes first or if you can just go straight to the lye soap wash?
Old November 17, 2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Beagle333

That is a very nice collection.